User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for specific build quality differences (i believe both are solid brands by reputable manufacturers). However, i will point out a few differences i've noticed by doin a quick virtual walk through of the Jayco.

1. COUNTER SPACE... Jayco for some reason decided to split the oven/tv section, whereas GD left it open so that when the tv is not in use there is a ton of additional counter space. that's a big deal to my wife and i.

2. bigger couch = smaller pantry. this is obviously gunna be personal preference. but for us, with the large U-shaped dinette for additional seating, we'd rather have the bigger pantry that the GD has. (i will note that the cabinets next to the fridge in the Jayco may make up for this)

3. Split sink... one of the first immediate attractions we had to GD and Reflection models was that they came with a large, open style "farm sink". Again, may be more personal preference.

4. Vents in the floor ... the GD 31MB has no vents in the floor, which we really like in terms of cleaning / kids not stuffing things in them lol

5. Control Panel / Entry Cabinet ... I really like how Jayco kept the control panel close to the entry door, as well as doing a better job of utilizing that corner space with some entry cabinets.

6. Dual bunk doors ... many people have written horror stories about the problems with GD's barn door into the bunk room. while it's aesthetically nice, the function and potential reliability of the Jayco door is a plus.

8. Bunks vs couch ... again, complete preference. My wife and i liked the dedicated bunks as we plan on having 1 or 2 more kids and spend most of our camp trips outside, so a couch for the kids in the bunk is far less important than a full time bed.

7. No Maxx Fan in kitchen ... might be more of a consideration depending on where you plan to camp and when, but worth noting.

***** LENGTH ***** Jayco lists 37' 2" overall (36' 4" towing) which, if you read GD's website closely, is the exact same as their Reflection 31MB.

Final Thoughts:

I don't think you can go wrong either way. IMHO it comes down to style and minor amenities. Hope this helped!!
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins, CCSB 4x4
    (G56 manual tranny w/Valair dual disc clutch)
    Current: 2021 Reflection 31MB
    Previous: 2013 Cougar 279RKSWE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgparr View Post

Another good suggestion ... I see this for flooring: 5/8 in. tongue-and-groove joined plywood floor decking

Grand design the same or better?
    Grand design uses OSB for both flooring and roof.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection versus Jayco Eagle HT

Also just did the walkthrough on the jayco site. Here is what I saw. Most will be personal preference. I would love to see this rig in person.

Definitely lose some kitchen counter space in front the tv on the jayco. We like that extra space in the GD a lot.

Looks like the placement of outlets and USB ports in the jayco is more user friendly.

Not sure how the longer couch in the jayco would work. That seat closest to the door looks like it would have a hard time seeing around the island to the tv if that is important.

Seems like the storage around the fridge and stove in the jayco may be a bit more user friendly. But hard to tell from photos.

Hate the jayco double sink. We love the large sink in the GD

Not sure how useable the area by the control panels in the jayco would be in reality. Looks nice though.

Jayco removed the hallway window at the top of the stairs from what GD did (across from the bathroom entrance) Seems like a wasted window in the GD but I actually like having that light in the hallway. Makes it feel more open.

We would never need a love seat in the bunk room like the Jayco. Definitely personal preference there. The dedicated bottom bunk in GD has to be more comfortable than the couch, no?

Floor vents in Jayco? No thanks. When we sweep, it’s just a place for dirt to fall. One thing I really appreciate about the GD

The bathroom in the jayco looks like it may be better thought out.I like the larger cabinet. But would have to see how much that takes out of the useable bathroom space.

I like the pocket door/barn door to the main bedroom better in the GD. Swinging doors like jayco uses always take up too much space for me.

Hard to see the main bedroom in the jayco site. No overhead storage at the head of the bed? Might be a good thing. Not sure. While I would love a king bed, I can’t see having any room to move around if you had it.

Just some observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked at Jayco HT's and think the Reflection is a level up in most respects. If I was doing a comparison I would think the Reflection 150 would be more comparable to a Jayco HT.
    Just my 2 cents
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been long time Jayco owners till last year. Our last three RV's have been Jayco's. They make a quality unit. As does GD. We chose the Reflection(150 series) over the Eagle HT for a few reasons. We liked the fact that they dowel the aluminum, so the screws have something to bite to. Most importantly for us was the windows. Jayco only offered the tilt out windows and small sliders. GD has the HUGE windows for great morning air! Build quality is almost identical in these units. You won't be disappointed with either. We looked at both 31 MB's before deciding on the 290 BH. We absolutely LOVE it!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the replies. Right now, I think we are leaning towards the Jayco. My wife really likes the interior, I'm getting some pretty solid quotes (32% off for a custom order is my best right now), and the 12v refrigerator and king bed options, and the additional year of warranty is really appealing. Lastly, I haven't been able to find a grand design dealer that has been aggressive enough (or in some cases capable of returning a phone call). I think we'll be able to get the Jayco for less money.

Do you guys have opinion on the added solar packages? Jayco has one that is a 190w solar panel, 30a controller, and a display for the system. I doubt we'll boondock but with the us wanting the 12v refrigerator it seems like a cheap insurance at $395 (dealer price to me on the quote) should we end up staying off grid for a day or two. Not sure if grand design also has this option

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I have owned two Jayco trailers, one was a TT, the second was a 24.5 Eagle HT. I currently own a GD Solitude 310GK. While I always liked the design of the Jayco, I had significant trouble with both units. On the Eagle HT the slide on passenger side ended over top the front of the front wheel. The first time we drove in rain, the floor was wet. When we lifted the carpet, we could see the ground. Brought it in to our dealer who said this was a known problem they had seen before on the Eagle HT line. IMHO the quality of the GD is far better than Jayco. Having said that, your local dealer / service department can make all the difference in the world as to which unit is better for you. Good luck with your decision.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Chev Silverado 3500 SRW 6.6 gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be too late to throw in my two cents:

I am in the process of buying a small 5er. Two finalists are the 260RD and the Eagle HT 25.5REOK. So, definitely not the samemodels as you, but the fact I am doing the same comparison is valid.

Initially when looking , we thought GD was better built, but after doing multiple walkthroughs of both, and research, we are leaning very strongly toward the Jayco. In addition to "better" (subjective) interior design, it frankly feels better built.

One other thing: Jayco slides now are available in vinyl. Some prefer that over carpeted slides.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Open Range and took it to the service center in Middlebury, In and the Jayco service person treated me like I was a felon. Finally got my OR person and things went right. I toured most of the manufacturer’s in the area including Jayco. Lots of there trailers had numerous red tags on units to be shipped. Jayco took over OR and the next year OR units where cheap looking and appeal went to zero. They changed the brand to get lower priced people in there units.
    GD builds are a much better build. I went to see my trailer being built.
    My GD was in Big Spring park and the temperature was 125 and the refer was at 38-40 lower part and the freezer was 18. You can add an exhaust fan on the rear and fans in the inside, which I did later. That’s on the dual refer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I looked at Jayco their A/c units did not open up like older models. They have small vents only in the ceiling. It's a quieter system but you loose alot of cold air. When I looked at Grand design their units are open in the ceiling where you can get all the cold air dumped into the rv to cool it quickly or close it off to run through the vents. If it is 98 degrees outside it will make a big difference. Just a thought-happy shopping!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast