Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection versus Jayco Eagle HT

Good evening all,

We're considering the Reflection 31MB and comparing it to the Jayco Eagle HT 31MB. This is a new floor plan for Jayco but is identical to the Reflection. We've looked at both Eagle HT and Reflection in person and honest can't tell a quality difference. The Eagle HT is appealing as it can be optioned with a 12v fridge and a king bed. Recognizing this is a Grand Design forum, I'm curious what the general thought is on comparing these two lines? I can live without the king bed but I'm not sure about the RV fridge in the Grand Design versus the 12v in the Eagle HT. We live in Florida and will be camping in a lot of hot places. This is our first RV and I keep reading horror stories about gas/electric absorption fridges.

So to sum up...

What are the real differences between Jayco's Eagle HT line and Grand Design's Reflection line?
    How concerned should we really be about an absorption fridge in hot climates?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-MGP

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far my fridge is fine. We haven't done a summer in the SW yet but some basic RV experience goes a long way.

12V only fridges require significant battery capacity to be off grid any length of time. At the very least it should have some solar or a built in generator.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep an eye on is trailer cargo carrying capacity. We had found a Jayco 5th wheel we really liked but it had around 850 lbs of CCC.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgparr View Post
    Good evening all,

We're considering the Reflection 31MB and comparing it to the Jayco Eagle HT 31MB. This is a new floor plan for Jayco but is identical to the Reflection. We've looked at both Eagle HT and Reflection in person and honest can't tell a quality difference. The Eagle HT is appealing as it can be optioned with a 12v fridge and a king bed. Recognizing this is a Grand Design forum, I'm curious what the general thought is on comparing these two lines? I can live without the king bed but I'm not sure about the RV fridge in the Grand Design versus the 12v in the Eagle HT. We live in Florida and will be camping in a lot of hot places. This is our first RV and I keep reading horror stories about gas/electric absorption fridges.

So to sum up...

What are the real differences between Jayco's Eagle HT line and Grand Design's Reflection line?
    How concerned should we really be about an absorption fridge in hot climates?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-MGP
    Ask your dealer's service department which manufacturer they would rather deal with. You may find your answer in the service writer's response.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first glance:

GD Pros
    - ducted for 2nd AC
    - Slightly more CC (400lbs or so)

Jayco Pros
    - Option for 13.5 (or 10) cu ft fridge
    - Option for king bed

Beyond that, pretty different interior styling, which is an intangible to consider. Jayco is a foot longer i think. Very similar rigs at the end of the day.

I just ordered a 31mb a few weeks ago and didn't see this on jayco's website before that (looked at other Eagle HTs). The fridge is a big one that would have given me pause, although I prefer the look and build of the GDs. From what I see in the bedroom, the king size bed is going to make it really hard to get around.

Nice unit though.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    So far my fridge is fine. We haven't done a summer in the SW yet but some basic RV experience goes a long way.

12V only fridges require significant battery capacity to be off grid any length of time. At the very least it should have some solar or a built in generator.
    Thanks for this. We won't be off grid much if at all. So not a huge concern for us. I just want to make sure we can keep food cool in hot climates.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kings - On the service department comment, totally fair. Thanks for that advice.

Justa - On cargo, not as big of deal for us as we are weekend warriors with maybe a week or two stretch here or there. I can see where that would be a serious consideration for some though.

Sandog - thanks for that break down.

Anyone have comments on construction techniques from one to the other? I'm not finding any major differences when searching online (where info is even available.... it's kind of thin).

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have comments on construction techniques from one to the other? I'm not finding any major differences when searching online (where info is even available.... it's kind of thin).
    Not sure what Jayco uses for roof trusses in the HT series, but if it is stamped metal trusses, stay away from them. They conduct heat and cold, and also screw retention is minimal.

Grand Design uses wood trusses in all their roofs..
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kings - On the service department comment, totally fair. Thanks for that advice.

Justa - On cargo, not as big of deal for us as we are weekend warriors with maybe a week or two stretch here or there. I can see where that would be a serious consideration for some though.

Sandog - thanks for that break down.

I would check and see if Jayco uses plywood flooring/roofing vs OSB. I'm personally not a huge fan of OSB. I see in 2019 Jayco claims to use plywood but that may have changed.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Not sure what Jayco uses for roof trusses in the HT series, but if it is stamped metal trusses, stay away from them. They conduct heat and cold, and also screw retention is minimal.

Grand Design uses wood trusses in all their roofs..
    Good call. I looked and Jayco uses something called Magnum Truss. Marketing term but appears they do use a wood roof...
    https://www.jayco.com/blog/product-f...ngest-rv-roof/

Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I would check and see if Jayco uses plywood flooring/roofing vs OSB. I'm personally not a huge fan of OSB. I see in 2019 Jayco claims to use plywood but that may have changed.
    Another good suggestion ... I see this for flooring: 5/8 in. tongue-and-groove joined plywood floor decking

Grand design the same or better?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast