User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post

Look forward to reading your future posts and seeing your positive and just "roll with the changes" outlook !

Dan
    Dan,

I'm glad somebody finally noticed our name. We actually put a lot of thought into it.

The way we look at full timing is:

"If you're tired of the same old story, turn some pages."

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REO Speedwagon?
    2017 Ram 3500 6.7L
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    20K B&W Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Dan,

I'm glad somebody finally noticed our name. We actually put a lot of thought into it.

The way we look at full timing is:

"If you're tired of the same old story, turn some pages."
    I noticed your choice early on sometime ago. One can read in your posts that you are dealing with things in a healthy manner. I seem to recall a post in the last few months where you experienced a water line challenge at a campground. Your explanation and how you dealt with that was a lesson for folks to learn from.

You may recall our prior forum name was "Toes In The Water." Two things were involved in Carol and I choosing that name. Our 303 was our first fiver experience after a TT, 3 Class Cs, and a pickup slide in camper......we were sticking our toes in the water with this. Secondly, one of Carols favorite bands is Zach Brown and they have a song "Toes In The Water." BOOM....there it is ! We change to Canyonlight in the summer of 2019 as a result of a family experience and hiking trip in Zion........there is a thread explaining this.

There is also a thread on the forum (maybe a couple) where folks shared how they chose the forum name they use. It was an enjoyable read learning about life experiences, events, hobbies, etc. that lead many folks to choosing their more intriguing forum names.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalters2112 View Post
    REO Speedwagon?
    Yep!

Currently we are "Ridin The Storm Out", but we are ready to "Make the change that we are on the brink of"...

I think I just gave away my age 😂

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    I noticed your choice early on sometime ago. One can read in your posts that you are dealing with things in a healthy manner. I seem to recall a post in the last few months where you experienced a water line challenge at a campground. Your explanation and how you dealt with that was a lesson for folks to learn from.

You may recall our prior forum name was "Toes In The Water." Two things were involved in Carol and I choosing that name. Our 303 was our first fiver experience after a TT, 3 Class Cs, and a pickup slide in camper......we were sticking our toes in the water with this. Secondly, one of Carols favorite bands is Zach Brown and they have a song "Toes In The Water." BOOM....there it is ! We change to Canyonlight in the summer of 2019 as a result of a family experience and hiking trip in Zion........there is a thread explaining this.

There is also a thread on the forum (maybe a couple) where folks shared how they chose the forum name they use. It was an enjoyable read learning about life experiences, events, hobbies, etc. that lead many folks to choosing their more intriguing forum names.

Dan
    I didn't know about your previous name, but your story reminds me of a trip that we made through Zion... Absolutely gorgeous!

For a few more weeks I have "My ****** in a lawn chair and my toes in the clay" 🤣

Here's to to the dream!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    The sticks and bricks just got listed for sale today. I just wanted to share a few thoughts for the day.

It has been about 2 1/2 years since DW and I first kicked around the idea of going full time. There has been a lot of thinking, planning and preparing. We have read about the experiences of many people who have made this transition. There have been alternating periods of anticipation and dread. For better or worse, one of us always brought the other back to "This is the plan. This is what we want to do."

Many of you here may remember this process when you were making the transition, but maybe this will be helpful to others who are considering it now. Deciding to live full time in an RV is not an easy thing. The details are simple: Buy an RV. Establish a new address. Sell or give away all your stuff. Enjoy life. That's what the YouTubers say. But there is always that voice in the back of my head reminding me that when things go bad, you can't just go home and take a break. To me anyway, that's a little scary. It's not that I'm afraid of adventure and challenges, but we have been programmed all our lives that we need to work to build security in our lives and to consciously choose to leave that security is a little hard to wrap my head around sometimes.

The other side of the argument for me is that I feel like I've become a prisoner to all that security I mentioned above. My adult life has been all about building a bigger, better house. Get the better job, buy the bigger house. Fill the bigger house with better stuff. Then spend all my time taking care of the stuff. I have come to the conclusion that while I've been doing that, I've have missed too many sunrises and more importantly, I've missed the point.

Enough rambling for now. Today is the day that we have been working toward for last 2 1/2 years. I think bittersweet is a good word for the day.
    For good or bad I often worked "on the road' sometimes for extended periods. Having a place to go back to and to feel grounded again was the thing making it all worth it. After the Great Recession things started to pick up around home so I planted myself and dug in like a tick. First I got a dog that is now my constant companion and travel buddy and then upgraded my house so I had the luxury of some "elbow room". Still I get wanderlust, I'm feeling it now wanting to get away from this damp cold we have had. There is nothing as dramatic as a beach sunrise (east coast) or as epic as the fall colors in the high mountains of a temperate rain forest. When I go I'm away a month at a time and in no hurry to get back. I can see the allure but don't buy into the premise of doing full time living in a trailer.
    I wish you and your wife well and hope your dreams and aspirations are fulfilled.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    For good or bad I often worked "on the road' sometimes for extended periods. Having a place to go back to and to feel grounded again was the thing making it all worth it. After the Great Recession things started to pick up around home so I planted myself and dug in like a tick. First I got a dog that is now my constant companion and travel buddy and then upgraded my house so I had the luxury of some "elbow room". Still I get wanderlust, I'm feeling it now wanting to get away from this damp cold we have had. There is nothing as dramatic as a beach sunrise (east coast) or as epic as the fall colors in the high mountains of a temperate rain forest. When I go I'm away a month at a time and in no hurry to get back. I can see the allure but don't buy into the premise of doing full time living in a trailer.
    I wish you and your wife well and hope your dreams and aspirations are fulfilled.
    Thanks for your support. It's interesting to hear where other people come from.

I work on the road as well. In fact, that has been a driving factor for trying this. For the last 25 years I've lived in hotels four to six months of the year. Early on, I had the energy and desire to come home, do the chores, maintain and improve the house a little bit and go back to work. Fast forward to second house, second marriage... We actually like each other so she started traveling with me to work. We bought the first fifth wheel to make that a little easier and eventually it got to be a chore to go back to the house just to catch up on taking care of it. So the decision was made that when our daughter finishes college theres no reason to have a house. This transition just makes sense right now. We know that this won't be forever, but for now we can't wait until we don't have all that "stuff" to worry about.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your post!

We're still waiting to transition from multi-week to multi-month trips. But your story resonated because 9-years ago we were about to move to somewhere neither of us had lived before, and for me it was going to be the first move further away than 30-miles from where I grew up. We were losing about 1,000 sq ft of S&B and changing styles, so about half our furniture didn't move with us. Neither of us had jobs lined up, so everything was unsettling.

In our case the move was to test-drive where we thought we'd want to live in retirement. Two years later we started RVing, and I fell in love with it (DW grew up with RVs). Last year we used our fiver as our mobile social distancing unit and camped for 100 nights for the first time. We still want to do more!

We selected Soutwest Utah for home based on how easy it is to get out and enjoy the outdoors. We're lucky it is also a great destination and jumping off spot for camping trips. We're just an hour away from Zion and both our state and National Parks passes get plenty of use.

Good luck with your house sale. We were crazy and sold for the second time in a down market, but this last time we had 17+ years of appreciation that didn't all go away. Your timing is much better.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said! Same feelings here! We picked up our new Momentum 320G in Nov. Listed and sold our home of 20 years in just 3 days. We closed on our home on Dec 31st, we both retired on Dec 31st ( 31 years for me and 20 years for my wife), bought our F-450 on Jan 2nd, I turned 60 in Jan..... Lots happened in 2.5 months! Getting ready to hit the road (two dogs and a cat in tow!) We have the same feelings about security, a "true home", etc but realize there is much to see and do yet. Our kids are grown, we worked hard now it's time to enjoy! Exciting, scary, and maybe uncertain but we are embracing the adventure!
    Thanks for sharing what many of us think! Best of luck and stay safe. Enjoy the adventure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12