User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New purchase - Comparing the 3540GK and 310GK

Looking for input from this group of seasoned Solitude owners
    Seriously, I have been on the forum for several months and have thoroughly enjoyed all of the knowledge that you all are passing along!

Here is our situation....

We sold our TT last fall in anticipation of purchasing our first 5th wheel. We have narrowed down the models to the 310GK and the 3540GK. From a layout perspective, we like the 3540 as the bathroom setup leaves the bedroom feeling more open and not so closed in. However, I put a lot of value in an upgrade to disk brakes.... which is driving me toward the 310GK with that being a factory option.
    I am also torn between hydraulic vs. electric auto-leveling.

My gut tells me to go with the layout that we like best (3540). That the auto-leveling debate is a moot point and both will do the job just fine.

So, can anyone speak to their experience upgrading brakes and axles aftermarket?
    The simpler path would be to go with the 310 and factory upgrade, but I believe we will be happier in the 3540.
    I would like to understand the process and get some feedback on aftermarket swap outs (who did you use and what was the cost?)

Thank you!
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, Reese 16K Goosebox, B&W ball with factory Ford Puck system
    2019 F350 Powerstroke Lariat, SRW, 4WD, 3.55, 6.75' bed, GVWR 11,500# Payload 3342#

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve78 View Post
    So, can anyone speak to their experience upgrading brakes and axles aftermarket?
    First I'll touch on electric vs hydraulic auto leveling. I had electric on my Reflection and hydraulic on both my Solitudes. They both work fine. The hydraulic system moves the legs faster but that doesn't matter to me. The only thing I prefer on the hydraulic system is I don't need to remove the pin on the front legs when lowering/raising.

As for brakes and axles - I had Grand Design transport my Solitude 310GK to MORryde to have their IS system and disc brakes installed prior to shipping it to my dealer. I paid MORryde directly for the work. It was around $6,600 last spring. Grand Design did a great job coordinating the transportation to and from MORryde and provided that service free of charge. The MORryde IS system is not cheap but it's the gold standard for RV suspension. There are several Youtube videos from folks that have done the conversion.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

we were in your position a few months ago for the same two 5vers. We are now waiting on our 310GK-R to be built.

There are pros and cons in whatever RV one chooses. Keep in mind that if you want a dual fridge, the 3540GK comes with only the 12 cu ft fridge with the physically separated two freezer compartments. You have to go with the residential fridge to upgrade to a 18 cu ft size. The 310GK does come with the 18 cu ft dual and residential fridge.

We really do like the 3540GK. Those two floor plans was a hard choice for us. Now the 310GK is built on a 10” frame with a 10” drop down. The 3540GK is built on a 12” frame with a 10” drop down because it’s longer so in turn making the CCC higher. The 310GK has the option for Full Body Paint, the 3540GK isn’t. The fireplace is slightly different. One has the televater and the other doesn’t. One has frameless windows, the other other doesn’t. The 3540GK gets a sunroof in the kitchen area because it has smaller windows from the 310GK.

So we had to coin toss it. This was our decision maker, the bathroom’s medicine cabinets. I’m 6’ and my wife is 5’8”. The medicine cabinet mirrors are at different heights. The 310GK is higher and one large mirror. The 3540GK (just like the 2930) medicine cabinet mirror is lower and broken up into three small mirrors at slightly different angles. Standing in front of the 3540GK mirrors I couldn’t see myself unless I hunched. For my wife, she was looking into the top portion of the mirror.

But hey, some decide bc of how the pantry to hutch is bc floor plan is longer. We also wanted to stay under 35’. Some love the hydraulics. Some prefer electric. Some prefer one big bedroom closet. Some prefer the way the 310GK is. 310GK has the lower cabinet for trash cans and also dishwasher space. We don’t plan on having the dishwasher, but it’s a great space for more DIY drawers or a wine cooler. The Washer/Dryer prep in the 310GK is in the bedroom. The 3540GK under a counter space next to the pantry.

All new full Solitudes as of January 2021 now come with 17.5” wheels. S Class doesn’t. Also we ordered ours with 8k axles & disc brakes from GD out the box. 90 gallons of fresh water is just about 750 lbs and the CCC is a little shy on the 310GK. Cant order that with the 3540GK. Also Dual Pane Windows weighs about 400 lbs which we choose. Then as the years go by, we plan on adding solar panels and batteries because we plan on dry camping.. Even though MORryde is willing to work with GD to buy it new with IS Suspension, I was told since COVID-19, GD put a hiatus on that for the short term.

There is no right or wrong on what you choose to do. Some will agree and some won’t. Just know the pros and cons and decide what the two of you feel comfortable living with and what’s best for you. Either way enjoy whichever and have fun. What works for one, doesn’t for another.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had considered both of those trailers and still like the 3540. The 310 for us lacked in storage. Our 303 has more storage inside than the 310 and the pantry is larger. I have always heard you can never have too much storage. Cargo capacity is a huge factor too. With over 4000#'s of cargo capacity it puts it right up there with Momentums. The different features it has is different than the full blown Solitude we like. We don't want the frameless windows as they don't open enough to get the fresh air. One touch control is something else we don't care for. With the larger bedroom slide having at least one nightstand was a plus. If we get one we would get one with a queen bed and see if we could put in another nightstand. with our 303 we have the two door bathroom and like it so that's a plus too with the 3540. Being in the trailer for 9 months of the year and having three dogs the extra room would be nice.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-27-2021 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify for others, the bed in the 3540GK doesn’t determine is there is one or two nightstands. A queen bed gives one more room, but not two nightstands from GD. GD designed the bed to be always centered on the headboard and bed frame. That’s why Marcy & Gary said about seeing if they can add one.

The pic is of a 3540GK we found for sale with a queen bed at General RV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3831D56-1491-4B10-BDD9-47B358BA1377.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	31800