User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my old Grey Wolf trailer with 2 acid batteries, I had a 12v car cigarette lighter style port at my tv location. I had a simple 300 watt 2 plug inverter that I would plug into the 12v and then my TV into the inverter. I could easily do a 4 day dry camping trip, use all the lights I wanted, use the heater every night and morning, and have the kids watch all the tv they wanted with battery power to spare.

I will say that my inverter was a modified sine wave and you could see some lines/noise on the tv so I would recommend a nicer pure sine wave inverter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!
    All that on just 2 acid batteries?!?
    What were these Batteries, this is totally amazing?
    What size was your TV and Amp?
    So this wasn't a personal power block just your rigs normal 2 batteries.........amazing.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    WOW!
    All that on just 2 acid batteries?!?
    What were these Batteries, this is totally amazing?
    What size was your TV and Amp?
    So this wasn't a personal power block just your rigs normal 2 batteries.........amazing.
    Now that I'm thinking about it...I had 2 of the 6v deep cycle batteries wired in series. When I bought the rig I had them upgrade the one 12v for the 2 6v. Not sure the brand but just basic batteries. TV was I think a basic 32 or 34in Vizio and I used the trailers existing stereo/DVD player. Yea, I had plenty of power. I mean we didn't actually watch all that much TV but I'd say at least one movie per day plus a little. But on that 4 day trip I remembering having plenty of power to spare. It was cold too so we were using the heater at night and in the morning. We used our outside lights too and the outside speakers.

Currently I have a 2020 Imagine XLS 23BHE and I have 1 105ah Lion Energy lithium battery and 1 100w solar panel on the roof. The way our last camping season worked out we didn't do a lot of dry camping so I haven't really been able to test this setup to see how long we can go.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download favorite tv shows to laptop. Run laptop off of Jackery or some other type of solar inverter charger. 2cents worth.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay so lets say we have 2 acid 12v batteries fully charged while dry camping in your new 2500RL 30 Amp rig.
    Regardless if they are charged that day with a Solar set up or a handy Generator, this part doesn't really matter for the question.

What if I connect the TV to a seperate small inverter (behind the TV) and have the inverter pull power directly from the rig via plug outlet to power the tv.
    The question is how long could someone watch TV in this manner? What small inverter would you recommend?

How do I figure this out, can I do this without setting up a full inverter change on the rig?
    Oh and how would this "watch time" compare to 2 full charged 12v 100 Amp Lithium batteries at night?

Thank you in advance.
    EXTREME the "Ultra Newbie"
    There's been lots of theory and calculations provided, but I have this exact setup you are asking about. I've measured each item in my rig separately for amperage draw with a high quality Fluke Amp Meter inline at the battery. My 32" LED TV connected through a 400 Watt True Sine Wave Inverter plugged into the cigarette liter behind the TV draws 1.7 DC amps out of the battery. Extrapolate that to about 8.5 Amp hours draw down in 5 hours of TV.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We connect our tv to a 300 watt rockpalls solar generator. It will give you 3 or more hours of tv at night. We charge it with a 100 watt solar panel during the day and ready to go again that night. Works great for us boondocking.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlsmle View Post
    We connect our tv to a 300 watt rockpalls solar generator. It will give you 3 or more hours of tv at night. We charge it with a 100 watt solar panel during the day and ready to go again that night. Works great for us boondocking.
    Yep, we have to 500 watt Jackery.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV boondocking

If you’re boondocking you’re going to need your battery power for essentials like water pumps and lighting. Get a generator to watch TV. Probably cheaper than the batteries and inverter needed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found out my new truck will have a built in 2000 Watt Generator!
    It will be exciting to see how I can use this for my 2500RL.
    Thanks for all the information....do you think there is ANY Lithium battery out there that wouldn't cause you to teardown the Inverter that come with my rig?
    It seems like no matter how cheap a Lithium battery is, you still have to REPLACE all the other equipment regardless.
    Anyway thanks for taking the time to outline what can be done..
    GREAT JOB AND THANKS AGAIN.
    You can buy Oaisis Firefly carbon foam AGM. Similar profiles to lithium batteries than other AGM in that you can draw them down to 20% no penalty. 5x AGM cycles and charges much faster. You don’t need special charger other than a good three stage one. 1/2 the cost of lithium. Disadvantage is weight.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found out my new truck will have a built in 2000 Watt Generator!
    It will be exciting to see how I can use this for my 2500RL.
    Thanks for all the information....do you think there is ANY Lithium battery out there that wouldn't cause you to teardown the Inverter that come with my rig?
    It seems like no matter how cheap a Lithium battery is, you still have to REPLACE all the other equipment regardless.
    Anyway thanks for taking the time to outline what can be done..
    GREAT JOB AND THANKS AGAIN.
    It’s incredibly inefficient to run a truck at idle to just watch TV. The Ford gimmick is just a medium sized inverter
    Buy a good generator
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast