User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cable Routing through roof

I'm planning on adding a rear camera to my trailer that requires a cable to run from the camera to a transmitter in the front of the trainer. I was curious if it was possible to route it through the roof space rather than over the top?
    Has anyone done this or have enough knowledge of the build specs to know?
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 L

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck fishing it through the trusses and insulation.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbaker View Post
    I'm planning on adding a rear camera to my trailer that requires a cable to run from the camera to a transmitter in the front of the trainer. I was curious if it was possible to route it through the roof space rather than over the top?
    There are plenty of wireless cameras that would reach a monitor in your tow vehicle without the frustration of running a cable.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are thinking of the Haloview RD7??, I have given some thought about getting that one, as I have not purchased anything yet. My thoughts are that is would certainly be much easier to run a cable from the camera to the up front transmitter on the roof...vs...trying the almost impossible task of trying to go through the "attic". My thoughts were to run the cable through a section of 1/2" or 3/4" plastic conduit (which ever size is needed for the install), the length of the trailer. Since I have three A/C units on the roof of my Toy Hauler, the conduit would be attached to each of the three A/C units with regular conduit straps or clamps that would not require roof penetration. In the spaces between the A/C units, I would probably use some sort of "glue" or possibly even some Rec Pro or Flex Seal to help stabilize it between clamps or straps. This would add a little more cost to the install, but in my opinion, the trade off of $$ vs. time/effort would be well worth the trade. Just my thoughts, as I have NOT done this type of install....yet!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running the RD5. I have the cable exposed on the roof and attached with the supplied cable ties. I purchased extra and they seem to work well. They are easy to undo for roof cleaning and replacement as they age. We've made several trips at Interstate speeds and none have "left the building".

Camera works very well with no dropout that at times (so I've read), comes with some totally wireless systems, Haloview included.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it just be easier to route the cable under the trailer and then bring it up to a transmitter in the front storage bay? You could even put the cabling in some PVC conduit secured to the frame to protect it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I was looking at the Haloview 7 Inch 720P Wireless Range Dominator System RD7 Plus and wanted to avoid putting the cable on the roof for ease of cleaning and later installs such as solar. However after read some reviews it appears these aren't huge issues so I will likely route the the cable over the roof.

Originally I was looking at the Haloview MC7109 Plus 7, but that would put the distance from the camera to the screen at 8 feet beyond the recommended 33 feet. So I will likely route the the cable over the roof.

Also I'm going to contact Haloview to see if you can add a cable and front transmitter to the 7109 Plus after the fact if not enough range.

On a second point has anyone connected the screen via the trigger wires and how difficult it to connect?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just route the cable on the roof and tape it down with EternaBond, that is what I did with the wires from the Solar panels.

PS: there is no issue with cleaning because the Eternabond adheres directly to the roof.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I'm going to contact Haloview to see if you can add a cable and front transmitter to the 7109 Plus after the fact if not enough range. On a second point has anyone connected the screen via the trigger wires and how difficult it to connect?
    That would be interesting but I'm not sure how that would work. The RD series has no antenna mount. Power comes into the camera and power + video exits via the cable to the transmitter forward. At one time they had an antenna that attached with a cable to relocate it closer to the monitor but I don't believe it was powered. This then led to the RD series. I also installed the booster between the power source and the camera which gives it a constant 12V+. I only have the one camera but it works very well and is very clear.
    As for the monitor power, I can't help. I use the supplied 12V plug. I prefer not to leave the monitor visible in the cab when not in use.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    I'm running the RD5. I have the cable exposed on the roof and attached with the supplied cable ties. I purchased extra and they seem to work well. They are easy to undo for roof cleaning and replacement as they age. We've made several trips at Interstate speeds and none have "left the building".

Camera works very well with no dropout that at times (so I've read), comes with some totally wireless systems, Haloview included.

Good luck.
    Capt Bob,

So finally decided to go over the roof but I don't have access to the trailer currently, I was curious if you happen to remember the length of cable needed for the 22MLE. I would wait but the cameras are on sale now. Thanks for any info you can provide.
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast