User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Retract shower curtain issues (Imagine XLS)

After a few rides in our new rig, the only issue we seem to have (so far) was with the auto retract shower curtain.

Issues:
    1) You touch it, it flies open.
    2) You shut the bathroom door, it flies open
    3) You move in the shower, it flies open.
    4) You breath, it flies open
    5) You look at it, it flies open.

Anyway....I called GD about the issue, only suggestion was to bring it into the dealer to look at it. Since I purchased it out of state, this really wasn't a good option for me. They were able to tell me that it was a DDR shower door though, so I contacted the company directly. They told me that there weren't any adjustments for the latch and eluded that the door or wall may have been out of alignment. I checked and the frame was installed square and the wall was plumb. So, no help.

I finally decided to tweak the frame a bit where the latch is supposed to engage. Using a pair of channel lock pliers (and a towel to prevent marring) I bent the frame about 1/8" towards the inside of the shower, just above and below where the latch engages. This has solved the issue. The only time it now opens is if you touch the latch or the frame part that attaches to the curtain.

Thought I would let others know that are having this issue and are tired of having this thing fly open.

Future will probably have the retractable door removed and a curtain installed as it would be lighter, easily replaced and always works. Not sure why they just don't do this to begin with as it would also save $$.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If working correctly, it appears that you have to push it forward and then pull inward for detachment. Ours functions in this manner. Guess I got lucky with the install.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be one of many “adjustments” or “fixes” you will have to make on this trailer and any other trailer you buy in the future
    Great job of fixing it yourself

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have same retractable curtain. Two years and it's still good. We leave it open except when showering.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by robtester View Post
    After a few rides in our new rig, the only issue we seem to have (so far) was with the auto retract shower curtain.

Issues:
    1) You touch it, it flies open.
    2) You shut the bathroom door, it flies open
    3) You move in the shower, it flies open.
    4) You breath, it flies open
    5) You look at it, it flies open.

Anyway....I called GD about the issue, only suggestion was to bring it into the dealer to look at it. Since I purchased it out of state, this really wasn't a good option for me. They were able to tell me that it was a DDR shower door though, so I contacted the company directly. They told me that there weren't any adjustments for the latch and eluded that the door or wall may have been out of alignment. I checked and the frame was installed square and the wall was plumb. So, no help.

I finally decided to tweak the frame a bit where the latch is supposed to engage. Using a pair of channel lock pliers (and a towel to prevent marring) I bent the frame about 1/8" towards the inside of the shower, just above and below where the latch engages. This has solved the issue. The only time it now opens is if you touch the latch or the frame part that attaches to the curtain.

Thought I would let others know that are having this issue and are tired of having this thing fly open.

Future will probably have the retractable door removed and a curtain installed as it would be lighter, easily replaced and always works. Not sure why they just don't do this to begin with as it would also save $$.
    You save me some time, thank you..we have '23 Imagine 2600RB. Took it home yesterday. During walk thru open it and let it go, ever latched it. I'm 44 miles from my Dealer, got home it, it doesn't cstch
    same thing yoursvis, . Just search and got your post...one thing off my plate

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if the following is true of all trailers, but it is sure true of any that are made by companies centered in Indiana. An acquaintance purchased a molded fiberglass trailer made in Canada. While more expensive, the hidden workmanship is far, far, far better than anything I've seen in a Grand Design. So much so that my next trailer is going to be one. As soon as I find one with an interior layout I like.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This will be one of many “adjustments” or “fixes” you will have to make on this trailer and any other trailer you buy in the future
    Great job of fixing it yourself

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I am not sure if the following is true of all trailers, but it is sure true of any that are made by companies centered in Indiana. An acquaintance purchased a molded fiberglass trailer made in Canada. While more expensive, the hidden workmanship is far, far, far better than anything I've seen in a Grand Design. So much so that my next trailer is going to be one. As soon as I find one with an interior layout I like.
    Very expensive and very small. If it works go for it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very expensive and very small. If it works go for it
    The ones I am looking at are about 30% more expensive than my current GD Illusion and about the same size -- 25 feet long.

I don't know about most RV owners, but I am getting "GD" sick and tired of basic things failing on long trips far from home. In the two years we've owned our "GD" Illusion 18RBE XL we've had to deal with the following things while on the road:
    - Water heater thermostat and control board failure (3X in one trip).
    - Broken toilet valve and peddle. And due to lack of toilet shutoff valve (which made using any water in the trailer impossible) and no repair parts at a local dealer spending $380 on a completely new toilet.
    - Tongue jack wiring sliced by an unprotected hole in the frame.
    - Shower drain pipe detachment because the pipe to the gray tank was run without supporting brackets.
    - Cheap starter battery not charging.
    - Propane gas regulator recall.
    - Disconnected underbelly furnace duct warming the fridge while our pipes froze in 25 degree weather.
    - Completely worn out, as in bald, Chinese tires -- at only 7,500 miles.
    - The Great Under Counter Mounted Kitchen Sink Drop into the cabinet when about 1/3 full of water.
    - Broken screen frames.
    - Main door latch lock that would not lock.
    - Water leaking into the camper from the air conditioner due to improper mounting.
    - Constantly flapping in the wind outside120 volt plug.
    - Solar panel plug wired in reverse polarity.

In addition to the problems that surfaced during trips, the self leveling roof sealant failed after the first year around the sides and mounted equipment. Then there is the rust. The stairs, rear bumper, frame and propane tray were all so poorly painted that they rested after less than a year.

Yeah, the fiberglass trailers are more expensive to buy, but consider this: In addition to the original purchase price I paid for my GD trailer, I have had to spend about 20% of its purchase price to get emergency repairs on the road and to replace and repair stuff when we are home. The only thing GD paid to repair/fix was the recalled propane regulator.

In addition to my GD trailer I own boats made in 1970, 1971 and 2006, 2 cars made more than 15 years ago, and a rural home filled with the usual poorly made 21st century appliances, a generator, a complex custom build septic system and a custom built fresh water purification system. Guess what I spend most of my free time repairing? Its a poorly built "GD" trailer that's only 3 years old.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Retract shower curtain issues (Imagine XLS)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    The ones I am looking at are about 30% more expensive than my current GD Illusion and about the same size -- 25 feet long.

I don't know about most RV owners, but I am getting "GD" sick and tired of basic things failing on long trips far from home. In the two years we've owned our "GD" Illusion 18RBE XL we've had to deal with the following things while on the road:
    - Water heater thermostat and control board failure (3X in one trip).
    - Broken toilet valve and peddle. And due to lack of toilet shutoff valve (which made using any water in the trailer impossible) and no repair parts at a local dealer spending $380 on a completely new toilet.
    - Tongue jack wiring sliced by an unprotected hole in the frame.
    - Shower drain pipe detachment because the pipe to the gray tank was run without supporting brackets.
    - Cheap starter battery not charging.
    - Propane gas regulator recall.
    - Disconnected underbelly furnace duct warming the fridge while our pipes froze in 25 degree weather.
    - Completely worn out, as in bald, Chinese tires -- at only 7,500 miles.
    - The Great Under Counter Mounted Kitchen Sink Drop into the cabinet when about 1/3 full of water.
    - Broken screen frames.
    - Main door latch lock that would not lock.
    - Water leaking into the camper from the air conditioner due to improper mounting.
    - Constantly flapping in the wind outside120 volt plug.
    - Solar panel plug wired in reverse polarity.

In addition to the problems that surfaced during trips, the self leveling roof sealant failed after the first year around the sides and mounted equipment. Then there is the rust. The stairs, rear bumper, frame and propane tray were all so poorly painted that they rested after less than a year.

Yeah, the fiberglass trailers are more expensive to buy, but consider this: In addition to the original purchase price I paid for my GD trailer, I have had to spend about 20% of its purchase price to get emergency repairs on the road and to replace and repair stuff when we are home. The only thing GD paid to repair/fix was the recalled propane regulator.

In addition to my GD trailer I own boats made in 1970, 1971 and 2006, 2 cars made more than 15 years ago, and a rural home filled with the usual poorly made 21st century appliances, a generator, a complex custom build septic system and a custom built fresh water purification system. Guess what I spend most of my free time repairing? Its a poorly built "GD" trailer that's only 3 years old.
    Many of the things you mentioned are items that would be on an escape as well

The longest I see is with an interior length of only 19 feet and over 80000. Way more than my 24 foot Imagine I paid 35000 for

The only thing they offer really is full fibreglass which eliminates leaks.
    Last edited by NB Canada; 04-30-2023 at 05:50 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing they offer really is full fibreglass which eliminates leaks.
    Fiberglass eliminates leaks, except where it is cut or drilled. We have a fiberglass trailer that had a leak at the window from the factory. They were able to fix it, but the point is: fiberglass RVs can get leaks in almost all the same places as other RVs.The main exception is the roof. You don’t have to worry about a fiberglass roof tearing or getting a hole poked in it.