User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dead Battle Born batteries

I purchased a Solitude in which the previous owner had installed 2 Battle Born 100Ah's.
    I don't know what he did. He said he never took it dry camping. The batteries won't last but 2 hours under a load of just about 150 watts.
    So what I have are 2 very expensive 12.5 Ah batteries.
    Battle Born claims to not require any special handling of their batteries. From my perspective, that appears to be untrue.
    2017 Solitude, F-350 towing, Anderson Hitch
    Can you hand me the wrench? Thanks. 🤪

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notlostatall View Post
    I purchased a Solitude in which the previous owner had installed 2 Battle Born 100Ah's.
    I don't know what he did. He said he never took it dry camping. The batteries won't last but 2 hours under a load of just about 150 watts. So what I have are 2 very expensive 12.5 Ah batteries. Battle Born claims to not require any special handling of their batteries. From my perspective, that appears to be untrue.
    That's disappointing. However even lithium batteries with good battery management systems need SOME attention and care. Though they can be drained all the way down occasionally they should not be left in that condition for long - they should be recharged asap. It's also not great for them to be routinely drained to flat - better if they are considered in need of recharge at about 20% or so of charge (as compared to about 50% for lead-acid batteries).

If the previous owner stopped using his trailer and didn't charge or disconnect the batteries they may have discharged and stayed that way for too long... that'd be my guess. And/or he may have used a charger/converter not designed for lithium batteries - such as the OEM converter/charger - which would shorten their life; that's something for you to check before you install new ones.

Hope this is the worst of your problems with the new/old trailer. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notlostatall View Post
    The batteries won't last but 2 hours under a load of just about 150 watts.
    Do you have a battery monitor or some way to determine if they are fully charged? If the original owner didn't replace the factory charger with a lithium compatible charger, the original charger will never fully charge the Battleborn batteries. If he did replace the charger but didn't set the charge mode to lithium, it also will not fully charge the batteries.

BTW, the Battleborn's have an excellent warranty if it turns out to be the batteries (which I doubt).
    Last edited by bertschb; 01-20-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo what Brian said. IF he added Battle Born batteries but did not change the converter to be lithium compatible, it takes a LOOOONG time to fully recharge them.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Battle Born guys are very helpful. I would give them a CALL and see what they suggest, if you haven't already.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    BTW, the Battleborn's have an excellent warranty if it turns out to be the batteries (which I doubt).
    Unfortunately, BB's warranty is non-transferrable.
    2017 Solitude, F-350 towing, Anderson Hitch
    Can you hand me the wrench? Thanks. 🤪

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    The Battle Born guys are very helpful. I would give them a CALL and see what they suggest, if you haven't already.
    X2. Even if the warranty is not transferable, I am sure they will help diagnose your issue.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know the SOC (state of charge)? Have you done a capacity test? It's pretty hard to kill a BB since it has a really good BMS built in. It's killable, but harder to do so. Also, what charger are you using for the batteries?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Common things that will kill a LiFePO4 -
    Discharging all the way to 0 *

Things that will shorten its life:
    Charging when it is very cold *
    Overcharging *
    Not balance charging *

* BUT - BB has built in protection for all of these things. So they should not happen.

I'd call BB for their advice on things to look at. Possibly your converter just isn't up to the task of adequately charging them. You are getting some charging, after all.
    They may even have a process for inspection/repair - even it it might cost you. Too expensive to just toss, until you've explored all the options.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)