User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

white lithium grease.

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I just ran across this thread and was wondering what type of lubrication would be good to use on the inside of these locks?
    The grease in my replacements was white lithium. I put extra in when I installed them.

I also put a bead of silicone across the sides and top. I left the bottom unsealed for drainage, ventilation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fount it!

My Lippert "Slam Latch" latch bolt fractured in half. It was not easy to find the direct replacement, or even an equivalent for the latch assembly. A keyword search on the Lippert online store only returned other slam latches in different sizes. RV Locks and More told me they didn't have an equivalent. I was concerned about the size of the cutout for this on my luggage door, so I persevered to find the exact replacement. Grand Design told me they could order one from Lippert, and key it for me, but after shipping and tax, it was getting close to $200, plus the lead time was "several weeks". They did get me the Lippert part number for the assembly though. I searched the PN on store.lc1.com, and still no results. I called Lippert, and this is the sequence that customer service put me through to actually get the assembly into my online cart for purchase:

1. Go to store.lc1.com
    2. In the lower right, click the digital assistant
    3. Several "buttons" appear in the chat window, click "Part Availability"
    4. A search prompt should pop up in the chat window, click "SKU"
    5. Enter the SKU "642066"
    6. A link appears in the chat window with the option to "Buy Now". Click it.
    7. It should bring you to the product page for "LIPPERT SLAM LATCH; BLK-NO MAG-NO CYL (KEYED ALIKE SYSTEM)", and can then add it to your cart. No image is available on the product page though.

It was about $120 and I received it in just a few days.

So if your latch looks like mine (see attached pic), then hopefully this helps. Just know that it doesn't come with a lock cylinder, and apparently it doesn't come with the screws to mount it either. I just farmed the internal parts from the new one, and installed them in the old one, and it worked fine. I guess I'll keep the plastic housings as spare parts.

Good luck!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slam Latch.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	40974

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did manage to get the locks through the dealer that we bought the RV from. As the locks were broken when we bought it, it did not cost us anything but aggravation getting everything done.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the same problem. Had one latch break and played hobs finding a replacement. Took me three weeks to get one from the dealer. Service rep recommended lube which I shall be doing to all of them. I'm going to use a good dry lube.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How were you able to remove the old cylinder and move to the new latch handle? I have not found a way without use of a master or Control Key. Any information is appreciated.
    Bob & Jean
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2018 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison,
    Double cab, long bed, 46 gal Aux. tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chenardr View Post
    How were you able to remove the old cylinder and move to the new latch handle? I have not found a way without use of a master or Control Key. Any information is appreciated.
    If I remember right, I went to Camping World and used their Master key. Probably all RV dealers have the Master(s).
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to Campers Inn in Conn. and they were happy to swap out the lock Cylinder. THanks for the Guidance.
    Bob & Jean
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2018 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison,
    Double cab, long bed, 46 gal Aux. tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    Sure, glad to help. My entry door I went with the RV Lock (fob entry, etc). Working very nice x 6 mos now. Very easy install. Too bad they did not make (at the time) slam latches for my RV so I could synch all locks up.

The basement slam latch lock "hunt" was quite a challenge for a short time. Long story short to save you time do this:
    1. Call GD parts and give them the "sticker number" off the back of your basement door. If you do not have that sticker they can go by the RV serial number. These basement doors are changed out frequently by GD, so models change code numbers frequently. Once you have the correct "key code number" from GD, for that exact RV run basement door, then call LCI (Lippert) parts and work with them. Trying to go through other 3rd party vendors was a waste of time for me and I almost bought the wrong door latch. Both of my basement door latches and the one door latch on the water closet side of the RV are all the same. These latches are not cheap. Going 3rd party you risk getting the wrong latch. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info, but isn't this ridiculous what we need to do to get a replacement part?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12