Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen Ultimate Hitch feedback

Hello all,

I'm currently doing research for a hitch for my 349M that will be arriving in the spring, I'm new to 5th wheels, been towing TT's for the last 15 years. I was wondering what kind of feedback you all have regarding this hitch, specifically ride quality while towing. I'm interested in this hitch because I want something lightweight and easy to remove, we take almost all of our trips to mountain bike destinations and that means we put 4 to 7 bikes over the tailgate to get to the trails when we get to where we're going, I need the back of the bed empty and I need the hitch to come out at every stop and be light enough to not be a hassle every time, also would like to leave it inside the 349 while we're out for the day to make sure it's there when we return!

I have heard from some that it transmits all the bumps directly to the truck frame and makes for a terrible ride and we go cross country every year, don't want 6k miles of that if it's true.

Also if this is true are there any better alternatives that are lightweight and portable?

It's going in a 2019 Silverado 3500 SRW without the factory puck system so I'll need a under bed gooseneck mount I'm assuming?

Thanks in advance!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the AUH with the ball in the bed on a 2015 F350 dually. I've also used the rail mount one. I find that there is ( to me) little difference in the tow from the AUH (either one) to any other hitch. I got this one for the ease of removal and storage. I do like the ball mount because that will leave me with a flat bed.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you're searching and researching, you'll get better results spelling the name correctly - "Andersen" with an "e." Anyway, we pulled our first 12K miles with and ISR Andersen Ultimate (the steel version). It's a very good hitch, in my opinion. Transmission of forces to the truck is not really any different than with a conventional hitch - a dampened pin box makes a world of difference. You don't say what year your Momentum is. The newer ones are coming with MORryde pin boxes which work very well with the Andersen hitches (and the similar PullRite Ultra-Lites and the Demco counterpart). If your Momentum came with a Roto-Flex pin box, it is not compatible with the ball and socket type hitches as it allows the pin and plate to rotate out of horizontal. You can either get a "window frame" rail adapter to use the ISR version of the AUH or use the gooseneck ball to mount that version - either way is good. I personally would no consider and Andersen for anything over 16,000 lbs. GVWR, though, as there are documented reports of failures... I think most with heavier trailers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    While you're searching and researching, you'll get better results spelling the name correctly - "Andersen" with an "e." Anyway, we pulled our first 12K miles with and ISR Andersen Ultimate (the steel version). It's a very good hitch, in my opinion. Transmission of forces to the truck is not really any different than with a conventional hitch - a dampened pin box makes a world of difference. You don't say what year your Momentum is. The newer ones are coming with MORryde pin boxes which work very well with the Andersen hitches (and the similar PullRite Ultra-Lites and the Demco counterpart). If your Momentum came with a Roto-Flex pin box, it is not compatible with the ball and socket type hitches as it allows the pin and plate to rotate out of horizontal. You can either get a "window frame" rail adapter to use the ISR version of the AUH or use the gooseneck ball to mount that version - either way is good. I personally would no consider and Andersen for anything over 16,000 lbs. GVWR, though, as there are documented reports of failures... I think most with heavier trailers.

Rob
    Sorry for the grammar! Its a 2021, should go online mid March to be built according to GD, wasn't sure if the 349 came with the MORryde or that was just on the larger M series. Thank you for the info

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Hauler View Post
    Sorry for the grammar! Its a 2021, should go online mid March to be built according to GD, wasn't sure if the 349 came with the MORryde or that was just on the larger M series. Thank you for the info
    I just did a little more digging on the GD web site and it looks like the M-Class Momentums come with a solid pin box - not the MORryde. If that's the case, I would certainly recommend installing a MORryde pin box as an upgrade. You also might look into the Reese GooseBox. There have been a lot of happy users of that system.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Andersen Ultimate II and love it. I occasionally remove it and removing only takes about 3 minutes. Reinstalling takes maybe 10 minutes due to the need to torque it down.

I can’t see me using a heavy standard 5th wheel hitch ever. I’m just too spoiled.

But if you are going to need an empty bed every time you camp, like Rob said, I’d probably recommend looking at replacing your pin box with a a Reese Goosebox, pin box. That way there’s no having to remove, store and reinstall a hitch. You just remove the ball mounted in the truck bed and voila, you have a completely empty bed. When you need to leave, just pop the ball in and you’re done. I have no experience with the Goosebox.

While the Andersen is easy to remove and install it still requires a torque wrench to properly tighten it down.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Andersen. I can hold it in one hand while climbing in or out of the truck, hang it on a single nail on the wall and it tows beautifully.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had my andersen rail mount for 5 years no issues love the fact when i get to a camp site and need my box its easy to remove and put back in.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a very, very, satisfied Reese GooseBox owner, I would strongly recommend looking at the GooseBox. The ride with the GooseBox is really smooth, so smooth that often I can't feel the camper behind me (to be honest that is a little bit disconcerting).

The problem you will have with the Andersen hitch, in your use case, is that the Andersen hitch needs to be re-installed (and torqued) every time you remove it. With the GooseBox removing the Goose Ball is optional, you could easily get your bikes in the truckbed without removing the ball.

Additionally, since you need to install a frame under the truck bed to handle a Goose Ball anyway, you might consider going ahead and installing the "Factory Puck" system as an aftermarket improvement. Most OEMs have already indented the truckbed where the "Pucks" go, so, installation is usually a matter of mounting the "Puck" frame and drilling out the holes on the floor of the truckbed. This would probably entail an equal amount of work as installing just the Goose Ball frame and drilling out the truckbed.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    As a very, very, satisfied Reese GooseBox owner, I would strongly recommend looking at the GooseBox. The ride with the GooseBox is really smooth, so smooth that often I can't feel the camper behind me (to be honest that is a little bit disconcerting).

The problem you will have with the Andersen hitch, in your use case, is that the Andersen hitch needs to be re-installed (and torqued) every time you remove it. With the GooseBox removing the Goose Ball is optional, you could easily get your bikes in the truckbed without removing the ball.

Additionally, since you need to install a frame under the truck bed to handle a Goose Ball anyway, you might consider going ahead and installing the "Factory Puck" system as an aftermarket improvement. Most OEMs have already indented the truckbed where the "Pucks" go, so, installation is usually a matter of mounting the "Puck" frame and drilling out the holes on the floor of the truckbed. This would probably entail an equal amount of work as installing just the Goose Ball frame and drilling out the truckbed.
    Thank you for the info, I'll definitely look into that, appreciate everyone's input

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast