User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn angle with F250 6.75' bed with GD 150 series

I purchased a new GD 150 series 278BH. I'm in the market for tow vehicle and weighing the difference between short bed 6.75' vs 8' long bed. The trailer has the turning point hitch that can be used to increase turning capability but I'm wondering if there's any downside to using that. Does anyone have experience with a setup like this and have bed length recommendations. I'm not even sure if I'll need to turn 90 degrees but would like to have the option.

One of the main reasons I'm leaning towards short bed is they are just easier to find from car dealers.

Thanks

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJBow View Post
    I purchased a new GD 150 series 278BH. I'm in the market for tow vehicle and weighing the difference between short bed 6.75' vs 8' long bed. The trailer has the turning point hitch that can be used to increase turning capability but I'm wondering if there's any downside to using that. Does anyone have experience with a setup like this and have bed length recommendations. I'm not even sure if I'll need to turn 90 degrees but would like to have the option.

One of the main reasons I'm leaning towards short bed is they are just easier to find from car dealers.

Thanks
    Obviously a long bed would be better if you didn`t mind the length. I have a short bed f250 and just purchased 295rl. I`ve been looking at this for months and have been working with the rv dealership. I widdled it down to 2 auto sliders Demco or Pullrite . Both are heavy. I am going to go with the Pullrite with the capture plate, over the Demco not needing a capture plate but needing adjustment to the hitch head capture bars. I really didn`t want to get out of the truck to adjust a manual slider, or worry every time I make a tight turn at some of these campgrounds where there is bush on both sides of the single lane road, or small town right hand tight turns from single lane to single lane.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
    Obviously a long bed would be better if you didn`t mind the length. I have a short bed f250 and just purchased 295rl. I`ve been looking at this for months and have been working with the rv dealership. I widdled it down to 2 auto sliders Demco or Pullrite . Both are heavy. I am going to go with the Pullrite with the capture plate, over the Demco not needing a capture plate but needing adjustment to the hitch head capture bars. I really didn`t want to get out of the truck to adjust a manual slider, or worry every time I make a tight turn at some of these campgrounds where there is bush on both sides of the single lane road, or small town right hand tight turns from single lane to single lane.
    Alfredo, thanks for sharing. Is your short bed 5.5' long or 6.75'? Have you tested to see how far you can turn it using the Turning Point pin box?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJBow View Post
    Alfredo, thanks for sharing. Is your short bed 5.5' long or 6.75'? Have you tested to see how far you can turn it using the Turning Point pin box?
    its the 6.75, I have a 2017 f250 short box now but I ordered a new one because the 2017 is 60 inches high at the tailgate and the new on is only 58 inches, The 295rl is 61 inches high at the overhang, so not a lot of space above the bed rails,

I don`t want to use the Turning Point pin box because you have to lubricate the bearings in the pin box regularly and you have to take it down to do that, Very heavy

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearance with a 6.5' standard bed is a legitimate concern but I don't see a problem. Although I have an F150 and use an Andersen Ultimate hitch I haven't had an issue yet turning. I've been to at least a 75deg angle with clearance and while it does get nerve wracking watching from the driver seat of a supercab getting out to look confirms there is room. Also the F150 bed is about 1-1/2" shorter that a Superduty bringing the hitch center closer to the cab.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-21-2021 at 05:12 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GMC 2500 with the 6.5 bed, Andersen hitch and have no problem with clearance.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the pins are all in the same place for the 150s, should not be a problem. I have a slider but have never used it in my short bed F250.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone - I thought I'd update everyone on my situation after purchasing truck and RV and towing for a few weeks. I ended up buying a Ram 2500 with 6-4" bed since I had trouble finding used F250s on a time crunch. I'm towing a 2021 278BH and since most retailers recommend a slider hitch with a short bed, I figured I'd try out the turning point pin box for a while instead since it's already on the RV. I also have a fixed Curt A16 hitch. When we hitched up for the first time at the dealer, 3 of the 4 techs were confused by the turning point pin box like they'd never seen it before even though they sell hundreds of GD RVs. The one who was more experienced suggested to try to tow without the turning feature. We did a turn test in the fixed position and I was able to get to about 45 degrees with the truck/RV about 6 inches apart still (pic attached). Tech thought that was good enough and there's no reason to go tighter than that. So far, we've parked in 4-5 different spots including 2 campgrounds and one storage and had no issues. We do have to keep our clearance in mind so we are watching that on tight turns. So even though it's early, I think we're going to be fine with current setup. I'm a little annoyed at how much everyone (dealers, retailers, youtubers, etc) say you need a slider hitch or turning pin box if you have a short bed. I'm sure I'll come upon some tough turns but I'd rather have fixed hitch and fixed pin box for the other 99% of the time.

Now that I'm looking at pictures again, I think I was past 45 degrees - maybe 55-60 degrees.

Hope my experience helps someone else out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210223_114437.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	32831

Name:	20210223_131319.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	32832

Name:	20210223_114524.jpg