Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First-Time RV Buyer Needs Advice - Grand Design 311BHS or Grand Design 31MB

Hi everyone! My family and I have rented a camper several times over the last few years and are finally ready to take the leap and purchase one. We're focused on bunkhouse/mid-bunk models because we have two boys (12 and 8) and my parents will sometimes come with us as well and we feel strongly about having a dedicated sleeping area for the kids.

After looking at what feels like every single bunkhouse/mid-bunk model out there, we've narrowed it down to the Grand Design 311BHS or the Grand Design 31MB. We actually really liked the floor model on the Crossroads Cruiser Aire cr32bh, but it just felt a little less sturdy than the Grand Designs.

We've found a 2021 GD 311BHS for about 30% below MSRP (which feels like an amazing deal right now) and a 2021 GD 31MB for about 25% below MSRP (also a pretty good deal), which puts them both in the same price range (within $3k of each other). So price is not driving the decision. We can also tow either with our truck (which was just upgraded).

Pros and cons of each? We like the bunk house, extra half bath, outdoor kitchen, and larger fridge of the 311BHS, but it feels like it's lacking floor space and seems like it could be dark. We like the openness of the 31MB, the U-shaped dinette, and the multiple windows in the main living space, but it's really lacking the outdoor kitchen and seems more cramped in the master and bathroom.

We would appreciate any feedback/thoughts you have. I've searched the forum and read what has been posted, but it doesn't seem like many people have the 311BHS. Why is that? Is the 31MB more popular? Does one have better resale value than the other if we decide we're not using the RV enough to make it worth while? What else should we be considering?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 311, havent camped in yet since I dont have a truck yet. We didnt consider the 31MB since we have 4 kids and the bunk room in the 31MB only has the flip down bunk and couch sleeper. Also, there isnt a good amount of clothing storage for the kids.

We really like the outdoor kitchen in the 311 and the half bath in the back was a must, at least from my wife. Our last camper had a half bath where the kids slept and it's nice not having them make a bunch of noise where we are sleeping if they need to use the bathroom at night.

Not sure on the 31MB, but the 311 has a good amount of storage in the main area and bedroom for what we plan to use it for. We mainly do weekends or long weekends, so I think it will work out.

In our mind the floor space is good, enough if it's a rainy day, but also good to encourage everyone to be outside.

Hope you find what works for you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were first researching, an experienced rv owner told me to check the bathroom and shower first. Stand in the shower and check the room you have and check the size/layout of the bathroom. If they are not acceptable, don't bother with the rest of the rv. Our 303 has the radius shower and it's okay but not spacious but it is acceptable.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)