Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First-Time RV Buyer Needs Advice - Grand Design 311BHS or Grand Design 31MB

*Cross-Posted in Welcome Mat Forum*

Hi everyone! My family and I have rented a camper several times over the last few years and are finally ready to take the leap and purchase one. We're focused on bunkhouse/mid-bunk models because we have two boys (12 and 8) and my parents will sometimes come with us as well and we feel strongly about having a dedicated sleeping area for the kids.

After looking at what feels like every single bunkhouse/mid-bunk model out there, we've narrowed it down to the Grand Design 311BHS or the Grand Design 31MB. We actually really liked the floor model on the Crossroads Cruiser Aire cr32bh, but it just felt a little less sturdy than the Grand Designs.

We've found a 2021 GD 311BHS for about 30% below MSRP (which feels like an amazing deal right now) and a 2021 GD 31MB for about 25% below MSRP (also a pretty good deal), which puts them both in the same price range (within $3k of each other). So price is not driving the decision. We can also tow either with our truck (which was just upgraded).

Pros and cons of each? We like the bunk house, extra half bath, outdoor kitchen, and larger fridge of the 311BHS, but it feels like it's lacking floor space and seems like it could be dark. We like the openness of the 31MB, the U-shaped dinette, and the multiple windows in the main living space, but it's really lacking the outdoor kitchen and seems more cramped in the master and bathroom.

We would appreciate any feedback/thoughts you have. I've searched the forum and read what has been posted, but it doesn't seem like many people have the 311BHS. Why is that? Is the 31MB more popular? Does one have better resale value than the other if we decide we're not using the RV enough to make it worth while? What else should we be considering?

Thank you!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

311BHS vs. 31MB - HELP!

I'm trying to decide between the 311BHS and the 31MB and need to make a decision fast. I need help! I've been able to get prices that I can live with on both and they're within $3k of each other, so price is not the determining factor. We also have a big enough truck that we can easily pull either model. We have 2 boys and would like them to have a dedicated sleep space - either works for that.

On the 311BHS, I love the larger fridge, the second half bath (although I could see how that could also be a negative), and the outdoor kitchen, but feel like the living space is a little cramped and could be dark (less windows).

On the 31MB, I love the U-shaped dinette, the larger couch, and the floorspace/windows in the main living space, but no outdoor kitchen and the master bedroom and master bathroom both seem a little cramped. I also have seen some posts about problems with bunks and the midbunk door.

Any 311BHS or 31MB owners that can weigh in and help me decide? What do you love? What do you hate?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitnelion View Post
    *Cross-Posted in Welcome Mat Forum*

Hi everyone! My family and I have rented a camper several times over the last few years and are finally ready to take the leap and purchase one. We're focused on bunkhouse/mid-bunk models because we have two boys (12 and 8) and my parents will sometimes come with us as well and we feel strongly about having a dedicated sleeping area for the kids.

After looking at what feels like every single bunkhouse/mid-bunk model out there, we've narrowed it down to the Grand Design 311BHS or the Grand Design 31MB. We actually really liked the floor model on the Crossroads Cruiser Aire cr32bh, but it just felt a little less sturdy than the Grand Designs.

We've found a 2021 GD 311BHS for about 30% below MSRP (which feels like an amazing deal right now) and a 2021 GD 31MB for about 25% below MSRP (also a pretty good deal), which puts them both in the same price range (within $3k of each other). So price is not driving the decision. We can also tow either with our truck (which was just upgraded).

Pros and cons of each? We like the bunk house, extra half bath, outdoor kitchen, and larger fridge of the 311BHS, but it feels like it's lacking floor space and seems like it could be dark. We like the openness of the 31MB, the U-shaped dinette, and the multiple windows in the main living space, but it's really lacking the outdoor kitchen and seems more cramped in the master and bathroom.

We would appreciate any feedback/thoughts you have. I've searched the forum and read what has been posted, but it doesn't seem like many people have the 311BHS. Why is that? Is the 31MB more popular? Does one have better resale value than the other if we decide we're not using the RV enough to make it worth while? What else should we be considering?

Thank you!

We walked through both models a few weeks ago and are picking up our 31MB Saturday. The 311BHS was a nice rig and the outside kitchen was really nice along with the larger master and larger fridge. However, it was darker than we wanted and the living area was going to be tighter than we wanted. We ran into a week long camping experience in the rain during a trip to the Oregon coast last year and in our bunkhouse TT it was challenging to hang out together, which is one key reason we like to go camping. That's when we started thinking about the RL/MB Fivers. We also like having the large campsite windows rather than windows that look at the neighbor's hookups. We have four kids (16, 13, 12, 8) and the 31MB mid bunk room also looked better for our boys (our daughter will go on the dinette). We did look at the 367BHS (larger midbunk option) for the loft and larger living area as well, but liked the shorter length of the 31MB and wanted a bit more payload cushion than it would have allowed with our SRW 3500 Ram Megacab. Regarding resale, I think the 31MB is a newer floorplan (I've heard 2019 was first year, but don't quote me).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Nitnelion I would also consider your tow vehicle. The 311BHS is about 300 lbs heavier on the pin weight and you need to take payload rating of your truck into account as well.

I don't have either but be camped with kids for 10 years in a bunk house model and the kids really enjoyed it. The thing that I like better about the 31MD is all of the sitting room for the family that the 311BHS does not have. You will really appreciate all the couch and dinette space on rainy days.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    @Nitnelion I would also consider your tow vehicle. The 311BHS is about 300 lbs heavier on the pin weight and you need to take payload rating of your truck into account as well.

I don't have either but be camped with kids for 10 years in a bunk house model and the kids really enjoyed it. The thing that I like better about the 31MD is all of the sitting room for the family that the 311BHS does not have. You will really appreciate all the couch and dinette space on rainy days.

Rob
    Good point. We have a 2019 Chevy 3500 HD Duramax Diesel, so we're good on ratings with either camper (in fact, we upgraded from an F-250 Diesel for exactly that reason). The living space and darkness are my main concerns.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesamerica View Post
    We walked through both models a few weeks ago and are picking up our 31MB Saturday. The 311BHS was a nice rig and the outside kitchen was really nice along with the larger master and larger fridge. However, it was darker than we wanted and the living area was going to be tighter than we wanted. We ran into a week long camping experience in the rain during a trip to the Oregon coast last year and in our bunkhouse TT it was challenging to hang out together, which is one key reason we like to go camping. That's when we started thinking about the RL/MB Fivers. We also like having the large campsite windows rather than windows that look at the neighbor's hookups. We have four kids (16, 13, 12, 8) and the 31MB mid bunk room also looked better for our boys (our daughter will go on the dinette). We did look at the 367BHS (larger midbunk option) for the loft and larger living area as well, but liked the shorter length of the 31MB and wanted a bit more payload cushion than it would have allowed with our SRW 3500 Ram Megacab. Regarding resale, I think the 31MB is a newer floorplan (I've heard 2019 was first year, but don't quote me).
    Thank you! I'm worried about the darkness too. But really like the outdoor kitchen!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time buyer here too. We just went with the 31MB for exact reason above...floorspace with 2 kids and rainy days, we can congregate in one room and split up if we want comfortably. The light in the 31MB is awesome compared to rear bunkhouses too. We will likely move to a rear bunkhouse when kids are a little older for an extra bath (kids are 9 and 3 now). I was also really keen on an outdoor kitchen, but expect to figure out my own setup with easy setup/tear down to work with the 31mb.

I don't think you can go wrong.

But if you want to go big or go home, the 367BHS is an even better mid bunk and should fit on your truck. Not to make it any harder or anything. And if you're going to go that route, might as well move to a dually and check the Solitude 3950. I'm kidding of course, but I've been where you are very recently and know your pain of choosing. Like I said, you can't really go wrong. Unless you don't go at all.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Nitnelion I understand your concern over the darkness. One thing that we look for in a trailer is windows on both sides as we also like a nice bright trailer and would choose a bighter one over a darker one. As @SanDog stated you may find that the 367BHS would be a better fit. When my wife and I upgrade to a 5th wheel for retirement travelling that would be the layout that we like. Lots of light, seating, seperate den/bedroom, loft and lots of room for when the kids and grandkids come along. I know my 3500 SRW will handle it so I would think yours would too.

Sorry to make things more complicated.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve gone down this route also and I think btw the two I would buy the 31MB. Although I like the bigger fridge I think having the back open and more entertaining space is the decider for me.

And I currently have the bigger fridge and it’s great. It’s really too bad that they didn’t put the bigger fridge in the 31MB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2020 311BHS with 3 daughters (16, 15, and 2). I had the same choice as you between the 311BHS and 31MB. We chose the 311 due to the extra 1/2 bath, bigger fridge, outdoor kitchen and the bunk room seemed bigger. I don’t feel like the camper is at all dark and never really had that concern. The floor space is adequate for us. Also, we really like the dual outdoor awning. Either is a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 311BHS / 16K Airborne Sidewinder
    TV: 2012 Ford F-350 King Ranch / Airlifter Ultimate 5000 air bags / 16K Curt Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast