Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member with a question

After nearly eight years with our Foretravel DP we're wanting to switch to a travel trailer. I've been looking at the Reflections, and they seem to have floorplans that are suitable for us. We're full-timers with a winter base in NM. Is a Reflection suitable for full-time use? There are just the cat and her two slaves.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​Hi and welcome to the forum. We have not full timed in oours exactly but do spend 6 to 8 months sometimes more in ours and it has held up well. On some the storage for full timing can be an issue if you pack like we do lol!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude line is more designed for Full Time use.

If you are going Full Time, I would suggest you stay away from the coaches that have a two part landing gear (the kind with a pin in the middle). Our Solitude has a one piece landing gear and I would hate to have the two piece landing gear and set that gear every time we stop somewhere. With the one-piece, it is just pick up and go, no leaning down to pickup the gear on both sides.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with SolarPoweredRV.
    We researched the Reflections and Solitudes extensively, like for a year! Once we got inside each, it was no question that we wanted the Solitude for living in full time during the winter months. Actually, we spend about 6 months out of the year in our trailer (4 months in texas, 2 months on the road) and the Solitude had plenty of room for our "Stuff" along with two chocolate labs.

The hydraulic landing gear are god-sent. Easy deploy, level, and then up and go when traveling. I sold my X-Chokes and king pin stablizers....no need for those anymore with 6 landing gear!
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    The Solitude line is more designed for Full Time use.

If you are going Full Time, I would suggest you stay away from the coaches that have a two part landing gear (the kind with a pin in the middle). Our Solitude has a one piece landing gear and I would hate to have the two piece landing gear and set that gear every time we stop somewhere. With the one-piece, it is just pick up and go, no leaning down to pickup the gear on both sides.
    @SolarPoweredRV - are you talking about the difference between electric and hydraulic auto-leveling? If so, the Reflections have electric leveling (will require pulling a pin a setting the length of the front landing gear) while the regular Solitudes and Momentums (not the S-Class or M-Class) have hydraulic systems with one-piece rams.

Now, as to suitability of the Reflection series for full-timing... we were full-time in a Reflection 337RLS for 4-1/2 years. The Reflections do not have batting style insulation on top of the Coroplast underbelly (only a layer of Reflectix) and are not quite as well insulated as the Solitudes. We also had single pane windows. These two things made it harder to keep the rig warm (and the water lines to the kitchen island thawed) in the winter. We did weather some very cold temps, but had to take extra precautions to stay functional. When we made the decision to stay full-time as long as health and circumstances permit, we moved up to a Solitude. We ordered it with dual pane windows and a residential refrigerator (we had lots of issues with the Dometic absorption refrigerator in the Reflection). After a year in the Solitude, now, it was the right choice for us. It's easier to cool in the summer, heat in the winter, and we are using much less propane (a number of nights in the low 20s here in MD so far). I'm a native New Mexican and we spend quite a bit of time out there with near my family. Depending on where your home base is (Las Cruces vs. ABQ, Santa Fe, Taos, etc.), I would start looking at the smaller Solitudes like our 310GK.

On another note, the Reflection 337, when loaded, puts 3,000 lbs. on the pin... at least 1-ton SRW territory. We tow our Solitude 310GK-R with a dual rear wheel truck (about 3,400 lbs. pin weight).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 01-21-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    @SolarPoweredRV - are you talking about the difference between electric and hydraulic auto-leveling? If so, the Reflections have electric leveling (will require pulling a pin a setting the length of the front landing gear) while the regular Solitudes and Momentums (not the S-Class or M-Class) have hydraulic systems with one-piece rams.

Now, as to suitability of the Reflection series for full-timing... we were full-time in a Reflection 337RLS for 4-1/2 years. The Reflections do not have batting style insulation on top of the Coroplast underbelly (only a layer of Reflectix) and are not quite as well insulated as the Solitudes. We also had single pane windows. These two things made it harder to keep the rig warm (and the water lines to the kitchen island thawed) in the winter. We did weather some very cold temps, but had to take extra precautions to stay functional. When we made the decision to stay full-time as long as health and circumstances permit, we moved up to a Solitude. We ordered it with dual pane windows and a residential refrigerator (we had lots of issues with the Dometic absorption refrigerator in the Reflection). After a year in the Solitude, now, it was the right choice for us. It's easier to cool in the summer, heat in the winter, and we are using much less propane (a number of nights in the low 20s here in MD so far). I'm a native New Mexican and we spend quite a bit of time out there with near my family. Depending on where your home base is (Las Cruces vs. ABQ, Santa Fe, Taos, etc.), I would start looking at the smaller Solitudes like our 310GK.

On another note, the Reflection 337, when loaded, puts 3,000 lbs. on the pin... at least 1-ton SRW territory. We tow our Solitude 310GK-R with a dual rear wheel truck (about 3,400 lbs. pin weight).

Rob
    Rob, yes I was talking about the campers that use a two piece landing gear versus the single piece Landing gear. I find that our rig with the hydraulic landing gear (single piece ram) and leveling system makes setup easy, simple, and fast.

I also recommend towing with the dual rear wheel pickup, very stable and a smooth ride, especially with the Reese Goosebox hitch and factory "Puck" system in the bed of the truck.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, we're looking at the Reflection travel trailer, not the fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Just to be clear, we're looking at the Reflection travel trailer, not the fifth wheel.
    Well know, that will change where the conversation was going. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Everything stays the same regarding insulation, etc. The Reflection TTs and fifth wheels are built essentially the same.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015