User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hall Power Short to Ground error, Battery Dead, Ground Control 3.0 no power

Hello, looking for pointers on newly discovered problem.

I've been camped in one spot the last 3 months, continually on 50A shore power. After adding distilled water to my 11 month old single 27DC battery today (which I had been delinquent in doing for some time now), I went to turn on the Ground Control 3.0 leveling jack controller to check what it said was the battery voltage. It did not power up at all. Uh-oh. I then happened to glance overhead, and noticed red LED error code light blinking on the bedroom wardrobe slide controller ("Dual Motor Synchronous Velocity Slide Controller 13398-DO"). There were 9 red blinks, which the manual says is a "Hall Power Short to Ground". I then used multimeter to directly test battery voltage, and it read 2.35VDC.

This is my first problem of this nature in about 4 years of ownership and just over 2.5 years full-time on road, never boondocking. Have been no other issues or indications to warn me of a pending or possible problem. Battery connections are clean and tight, nothing really could have disturbed the wiring that I can tell, only possible new or unique thing this year is that I'm camped in Brookings, OR where there are frequent multiple days of wind driven rain and high humidity, and I had a leak into the front cap area of RV, which was fixed with some Dicor along the a crack in the sealant on the front cap roof seam joint.

Don't think it's related, but one never knows, but 2 days ago we noted refrigerator not working too well, freezer temperature climbed to 28F. Am in process of defrosting it, which was also a bit overdue, but wondering if it could possibly be related to dead battery despite fact we've been on shore power continually.

Oh, and my EMS system does not indicate any issue with shore power.

About to go get new battery, but am wondering about cause vs. effect. If the "Hall Power Short to Ground" fault is what drained battery, and if it will rapidly drain a new battery, that would be bad, but if dead battery somehow triggered the Hall Effect ground short fault, then it should remedy it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fault you are seeing with the blinks may not be a real fault. It may a false indication because the battery is almost dead.

I had a similar issue with no display and GC lights faults after I had an almost dead battery. When I plugged it into shore power the display was still blank and still had blinking lights. . I had to disconnect the battery, charge it up and the reconnect it and the display came alive and fault was gone.

I’d start by replacing the battery
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update to above problem. I went to throw the battery quick-disconnect switch on the basement prior to removing the battery, and discovered it was already disconnected, DOH! Not sure how long ago it happened, moving items about the crowded basement, but upon re-connecting it, the Ground Control 3.0 controller powered up again. Probably still need to replace battery, but going to give it a couple days to trickle charge first, and then power the bedroom slide to reset the error code.

Possibly a self-inflicted wound, my favorite kind (not!)
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking about it more, have you measured battery voltage when plugged into shore power? This would tell you if your converter is working. A failing converter will not charge the battery and cause it to drain.
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norm View Post
    Update to above problem. I went to throw the battery quick-disconnect switch on the basement prior to removing the battery, and discovered it was already disconnected, DOH! Not sure how long ago it happened, moving items about the crowded basement, but upon re-connecting it, the Ground Control 3.0 controller powered up again. Probably still need to replace battery, but going to give it a couple days to trickle charge first, and then power the bedroom slide to reset the error code.

Glad you figured it out.

Our local sams club and Costco carry Group 27 deep cutlery batteries in stock for about $85.

https://www.costco.com/interstate-27...100476408.html

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...=plp_product_1
    Jerry & Linda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your inputs Jerry, all on the money. Yes, I tested battery again after reconnecting the quick disconnect switch, and it came up to 12.9V. Probably still need to replace it due to how low it got. Also, did the reset on the slide out controller, and fault code went away and did not come back, and slide operated fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norm View Post

You are among friends. The battery disconnect has claimed many victims on this forum.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - now I have a similar problem - somewhat. My Ground Control 3.0 will not turn on, but the battery reads good, slides work and the motion sensor lights work. Any solutions? I won't be able to work on anything till morning, but DAMN....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Well - now I have a similar problem - somewhat. My Ground Control 3.0 will not turn on, but the battery reads good, slides work and the motion sensor lights work. Any solutions? I won't be able to work on anything till morning, but DAMN....
    I had this problem a few years ago after my battery discharged. I suggest you unplug for shore power, disconnect the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect the battery and shore power. Then see if the GC3 panel will power up.

If it doesn’t it’s possible it powered up but the display is just dead. That’s not an uncommon failure.

I found that Lippert has good technical phone service if you call them.
    Jerry & Linda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having a similar problem. The two slides work in the front but the rear bed does not function. I connected a direct hot to controller which had no power and it worked. So no power to the controller is the problem but I don’t know why

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast