User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know if you got a decent deal?

HI, I hope this is the correct spot to post the question. The wife and I are considering trading in our North Trail bunk house on a Grand Design 29g. How do you know if you are getting a good deal or at least fair? Dealer discounted the trailer $11k+ under MSRP of $61,000. After negotiating for adding patio doors and some max air fans we didn't add to the price. We are at a disadvantage with with having a trade only 3 years old and owing. The trade number was great (I know it can be a shell game- more here less there). We are also discussing interest rates and doing our homework and they are aware so hopefully we get a competitive rate. We looked at other brands, Forest River hyperlite in particular and had more of a discount on the trailer but much less trade value and the extras like batteries etc not included yet. With the current market is $10-11K off sticker with a couple grand extras thrown in a fair deal for something like a Momentum 29G?

Thanks for the input.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverram View Post
    HI, I hope this is the correct spot to post the question. The wife and I are considering trading in our North Trail bunk house on a Grand Design 29g. How do you know if you are getting a good deal or at least fair? Dealer discounted the trailer $11k+ under MSRP of $61,000. After negotiating for adding patio doors and some max air fans we didn't add to the price. We are at a disadvantage with with having a trade only 3 years old and owing. The trade number was great (I know it can be a shell game- more here less there). We are also discussing interest rates and doing our homework and they are aware so hopefully we get a competitive rate. We looked at other brands, Forest River hyperlite in particular and had more of a discount on the trailer but much less trade value and the extras like batteries etc not included yet. With the current market is $10-11K off sticker with a couple grand extras thrown in a fair deal for something like a Momentum 29G?

Thanks for the input.
    Generally, a "good" discounted cost is about 25-30% off MSRP. There have been reports recently it's more difficult to get that right now, due to the large demand for RVs and not being able to keep up with it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, lets start with do you think you got a decent deal on your North Trail? How much under MSRP did you pay for it?

If you considered that a decent deal, and the deal on the GD is similar, would you consider that a decent deal?

With all the variable you are introducing into the equation (trade in number other add on's etc), I don't think any of us can really tell you if we would be happy with the deal or not.

Not trying to be a SmartAzz about it, but with the value of only one variable provided, how is anyone able to determine if it's a horrible, good, or decent deal? The only info we know is 11K off of $61K, which is only 18% off MSRP. Based on that info alone, it's a horrible deal.

But we don't know the value of the add ons, don't know the trade in vs payoff value or anything else. So, all speculation.

End of the day, if you are happy, it's a decent deal.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question Silverram. I just bought a Momentum 350G, and I have no idea if I got a good price. RV pricing seems to be all over the place, depending on which brand you are looking at, and where you are shopping. I did not have a trade in, which makes pricing considerations easier I think. In general I think 25% off MSRP is a fair price. With options mine had an MSRP of $98k, and I got is for $73k, plus sales tax and the standard doc fee. I paid half down, and interest was 5.25% on the rest. I don't know if that was a good deal either, but I plan to pay it off in a year or two. If a few more people reply maybe we'll get a consensus on what is considered a good deal.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a current year model - 25% off MSRP is an OK deal. 30% off MSRP is a good deal and 35% would be a great deal. This is with no trade as trades blur all the numbers.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on Grand Design's website for the real MSRP.

The only thing I can add is to try to get all the Excess Dealer Fees out of the deal (Dealer Prep Fee, Dealer Handling Fee, etc.).

Additionally, check with your Credit Union to find out what interest rate they charge. If you don't belong to one, it is easy to join one. Credit Unions are usually the best places to finance Vehicles and RVs. Worst case, you will find out what a good interest rate really is ( I think the rate on our new truck was 1.25% ).

Good Luck.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When trading, I always treat it as two separate deals. Nail down the price on the purchase. Then tell them you have a trade. If they ask about a trade before giving a price on the new one, tell them you aren't trading anything if the price on the new one isn't right. If they don't like it, go elsewhere.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverram View Post

Thanks for the input.
    Never do a trade in.... Repeat.... Never do a trade in.
    If you really want to know what you are paying... Never do a trade in.

My latest deal on my 398M, I let dealers in a 5 state area submit bids to me for an ordered unit. I specified a cash deal. Bids varied a lot.

I went with the winning bid. This particular dealer had a used consignment program. While waiting for my new unit, I inquired about it. They told me that basically they could get me 11K for my ten year old Palomino Sabre. I declined. Two days later I sold it for 15K... This was for a TT I paid a little over 24K (out the door!) for new, ten years ago. I was happy with the deal. Most importantly, I know exactly what I paid for everything.

Never do a trade in.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The internet is there to use so use it

Contact every dealer that has the unit in stock and ask for their best price without a trade

Once you get that number compare it to what you are being offered

It would only take a few days to get all the info over e-mail and phone

I live in New Brunswick Canada and bought our Jayco in Pennsylvania (12 hour drive) and our GD in Ontario (13 hour drive)

The great thing about driving a long distance to buy a trailer is you can take that time to vacation as well

You can easily get a 2000 or more difference in price on the same unit in the same state

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now is an especially tough time to score a great deal. More expensive units which don't move as fast are easier to get a discount on. But right now, with the covid nonsense, all the lower end models are in high demand. Every dealer within a day or so drive of me sells most of their inbound Transcend trailers before they even hit the lot. So they are not very willing to budge on price. GD isn't offering any incentives, either. We are a bit under MSRP on the 261BH we're getting, but not by as much as I'd expect in any other year. We could wait a year and probably get it for 10 grand less, as all the people who bought one just because of covid try to unload their new expensive toy. But that would mean giving up a year of camping, which we so enjoy doing with our young kids. So we suck it up, and remember that I've certainly wasted more on cars (far more, LOL) than I'll ever lose on a travel trailer.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast