User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eaz-Lift Trekker - Does Anyone Use This?

I have one of these and I've experienced a lot of sway on my trip down to Florida. I followed the directions as best as I could, as well as call and asked Camco some questions as well. Every time a tractor trailer passes me, or wind blows, the trailer really moves to the point I'm fighting with it to stay straight.

We almost got into an accident when I went to pass 2 tractor trailers. The trailer started swaying like crazy and if I didn't have extra room on the shoulder, we'd have hit the wall. I'm not sure if it's the Trekker, or something else. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Eddie

You certainly have enough truck. Let's talk about loading and tongue weight. At 8500lbs GVWR and estimating 13% TW I would ensure you have heavy duty enough weight bars, I would go with 1200lbs.

Then load r up and go to the CAT scales to see where you are.

Most of these hitches have some adjustments such as height and tilt.

Sounds to me that your issue could be one of the following:

Overloaded
    Hitch not heavy duty enough
    Hitch not adusted/set up properly

Your starting point is to check your setup and get it weighed.

I look forward to more info.

Good Luck,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eaz-Lift Trekker - Does Anyone Use This?

Sounds to me like your TW is under what it needs to be. It is under loaded

My trailer isn’t that much smaller and I drive literally with one or two fingers on the wheel when rigs pass or I pass them

The suck and push from semis is going to be there with anything. It is a void of air that no matter what you drive can get sucked into
    I don’t correct for it when it happens. I just wait for the push

I like the look of the rear kitchen units but the kitchen ,fridge,pantry is where most of your loaded weight will go and that isn’t good
    My kitchen is in the middle ahead of the axles

My guess is way too much weight in the rear

But only a scale under the tongue will tell

I have never heard of that hitch btw but in theory it should work but there are definitely better hitches out there. Many trucks your size don’t even use wdh hitches so I don’t think that is your issue

Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the rig to the CAT Scales before we left, fully loaded and these were the weights that came back:

Steer Axle 3640#
    Drive Axle 4640#
    Trailer Axle 7040#
    Total Axle 15320#

My truck is rated for 12,500# towing capacity, I have to check the door for the other weights.

Since I have these numbers, would I weigh the truck alone and then do some math to get the hitch weight?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I took the rig to the CAT Scales before we left, fully loaded and these were the weights that came back:

Steer Axle 3640#
    Drive Axle 4640#
    Trailer Axle 7040#
    Total Axle 15320#

My truck is rated for 12,500# towing capacity, I have to check the door for the other weights.

Since I have these numbers, would I weigh the truck alone and then do some math to get the hitch weight?
    Those numbers alone do not tell the tongue weight

Need the empty truck rear axle and then the weight with the trailer on without the wdh on

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll find a scale down here and get the truck weight soon. I'm at Fiesta Key RV and I think the closest scale is Miami. I'll have to get the truck on the way back up.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just from the figures posted it appears 800 lbs has been added to the trailers axles. Of course the hitch has transferred some weight back there but weighing without the hitch hooked up will tell where the weight is in the trailer
    My guess is there is too much weight in the back

How is it packed?
    Is the pantry and kitchen area behind the axles filled up?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Just from the figures posted it appears 800 lbs has been added to the trailers axles. Of course the hitch has transferred some weight back there but weighing without the hitch hooked up will tell where the weight is in the trailer
    My guess is there is too much weight in the back

How is it packed?
    Is the pantry and kitchen area behind the axles filled up?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    Yes, we have everything loaded up in the back, it's pretty packed actually. Only things up front are clothes and a few items in the under storage. I'm pretty sure we are back-end heavy. I don't know what I can move up front to change that. Or maybe take my tools out of the truck and put them in the under belly for a 150-200 lb addition to the front.

What kind of hookup should I get for this setup as I'm pretty sure I don't need a WDH just sway control? Or is there a way I can make the WDH less so it leaves more weight on the ball?
    Last edited by EddieK82; 01-22-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Integrated sway in the wdh on the market are the best imo. I suppose you could install a separate friction sway on one side of the hitch

Who set the hitch up?

With the trailer dropped on the ball of the truck what is it doing to the measurements?

Can’t imagine it is doing a whole lot

You just want the wdh to get it back closer to the unloaded measurements

By the sounds of it though you know you are rear heavy. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast but likely the root of your problems
    Load up the front storage would help. But until the weight on the tongue is heavy enough no amount of sway control will stop the sway.

But actual weights will tell the whole story

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Integrated sway in the wdh on the market are the best imo. I suppose you could install a separate friction sway on one side of the hitch

Who set the hitch up?

With the trailer dropped on the ball of the truck what is it doing to the measurements?

Can’t imagine it is doing a whole lot

You just want the wdh to get it back closer to the unloaded measurements

By the sounds of it though you know you are rear heavy. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast but likely the root of your problems
    Load up the front storage would help. But until the weight on the tongue is heavy enough no amount of sway control will stop the sway.

But actual weights will tell the whole story

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    I just called Camco and they brought up something I never thought about, my truck has integrated sway control which activates on start, I have to disable that and he said my ride will improve drastically. I'll have to try it on my way back to Orlando, if it works that would be great. I'll also work on adjusting the weights around once I get my truck weighed on the way up there.

This is our first really long pull so I'm noticing things I didn't just going from PA to the Jersey Shore this summer.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast