Thread: Hub cap issue,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hub cap issue,

Hi all,
    We just bought this 2020 22MLE and as we were getting acquainted and loading newly bought accessories I noticed a problem on the left side ( driver side) with my wheels. It appears both hub caps are missing and whatever the thing is in the pic is loose and flopping around. Is this a major issue? What should I do about it? Thanks for any advice in advance
    Attachment 31703
    Jeff n Dee
    2020 F150 3.5 ECO Max tow package
    2020 22MLE
    NW Missouri is home

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdndee View Post
    Hi all,
    We just bought this 2020 22MLE and as we were getting acquainted and loading newly bought accessories I noticed a problem on the left side ( driver side) with my wheels. It appears both hub caps are missing and whatever the thing is in the pic is loose and flopping around. Is this a major issue? What should I do about it? Thanks for any advice in advance
    Attachment 31703
    Yeah that's not good! You didn't mention if you purchased form a dealer or private seller. There is a snap-in plug that goes in the middle of the center cap. Obviously two of yours are missing. I've included a screenshot of the etrailer website that shows the center cap and plug. The thing on the inside is the hub cap or dust cap. Keeps the dirt out and helps keep the grease in. Right behind that cap is your cotter pin and spindle nut, washer and bearings. That should not be flopping around! Regardless of who you bought it from you need to get that taken care of and ensure you still have sufficient bearing grease in the hub. If it is new and you bought it from a dealer take it back to the dealer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-01-22_10-02-44.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	31706
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I bought a new 2021 22MLE in November of 2020. According to Grand Design customer service, those center hub caps are NOT included. Furhtermore, I was told that they were not necessary. The center hub caps are cosmetic, not functional.

Although I am new to RV'ing, is Grand Design customer service correct ??

Thanks,
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    22MLE

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Hi,

I bought a new 2021 22MLE in November of 2020. According to Grand Design customer service, those center hub caps are NOT included. Furhtermore, I was told that they were not necessary. The center hub caps are cosmetic, not functional.

Although I am new to RV'ing, is Grand Design customer service correct ??

Thanks,
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    22MLE
    They ARE included (until they ran out of them, we have been getting them replaced under warranty).

Not necessary, but should be included.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdndee View Post
    Hi all,
    Attachment 31703
    You should pull the wheel and get the center cap reattached. The silver part with black rubber cap is covering the hub end and zerk fitting.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be concerned about that wheel. A loose bearing can cause those caps to work themselves loose. I’d personally disassemble and repack that hub before hitting the road since you don’t know what might have contaminated the grease while the cap was off.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana