User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy/GM - OEM Curt Puck or better options?

Hi all,
    So apparently there are two 5th wheel prep option levels with GM/Chevy. Turns out my new Silverado has the prep, but they didn't give me my handy ball and chain suitcase!

Looking online, Curt is the same as the OEM: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/60692
    *Note their website isn't updated. It says not good for a 2021, but I called Curt just now and they say this works, some other 5th wheel systems are different from 20 to 21 models, something about the under frame is a bit more narrow this year.

I also see some mentions of the PullRite ball, which comes with integrated chain mounts on the ball, so no need for the 3-part OEM system.
    Something like this (will need to verify fit on the '21 Silverado): https://www.pullrite.com/4437

What do y'all recommend for the ball & puck package?

Bonus question: How much mileage can one get out of Ball & Chain jokes to the DW? Asking for a friend...

-Colin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found the B&W options also - a little more expensive but I like the handle on the ball.
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-BWGNXA206...Silverado+3500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Hi all,
    So apparently there are two 5th wheel prep option levels with GM/Chevy. Turns out my new Silverado has the prep, but they didn't give me my handy ball and chain suitcase!

Looking online, Curt is the same as the OEM: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/60692
    *Note their website isn't updated. It says not good for a 2021, but I called Curt just now and they say this works, some other 5th wheel systems are different from 20 to 21 models, something about the under frame is a bit more narrow this year.

I also see some mentions of the PullRite ball, which comes with integrated chain mounts on the ball, so no need for the 3-part OEM system.
    Something like this (will need to verify fit on the '21 Silverado): https://www.pullrite.com/4437

What do y'all recommend for the ball & puck package?

Bonus question: How much mileage can one get out of Ball & Chain jokes to the DW? Asking for a friend...

-Colin
    Colin - the "ball and chain suitcase" is not part of the goose/fifth wheel towing package based on what I have seen. It appears to be about a $300 additional option when I have priced on the Chevy and GMC sites and on window stickers I have seen. If your truck has this option, you should in fact have gotten it if a new truck (used, original owner may have kept it.)

Interesting that the 20 vs 21 mounting dimensions would be different. I know the 20 was different from the 2015-2019. Looks like I will need to learn more about this.

LOL at the ball and chain comment to DW........let us know how this works out for your "friend !"

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 01-22-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Colin - the "ball and chain suitcase" is not part of the goose/fifth wheel towing package based on what I have seen. It appears to be about a $300 additional option when I have priced on the Chevy and GMC sites and on window stickers I have seen. If your truck has this option, you should in fact have gotten it if a new truck (used, original owner may have kept it.)

Interesting that the 20 vs 21 mounting dimensions would be different. I know the 20 was different from the 2015-2019. Looks like I will need to learn more about this.

LOL at the ball and chain comment to DW........let us know how this works out for your "friend !"

Dan
    Thanks, Dan!
    You are correct. I checked with my salesdude and he confirmed, it is an addon that my truck doesn't have. I bought off the lot, not custom order, so I didn't get that.
    I told my brother he had to pay $12,000 extra for his "free" OEM Curt package - I'll take the $300 out of pocket!

-Colin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went with B&W on my setup on ours, came across this video when doing the research which shows a decent comparison in size/heights. Not sure I saw PullRite at the time, but is different with integrated chain plate.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Pullrite #4437 ball & plate . Works great and less than $225.00 OTD.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up going with the B&W unit - I like the handle!

FWIW I am getting the Anderson Ultimate hitch. They sell this product to marry with the AUH - has anyone tried this as a replacement for the traditional ball mount? Just curious.
    https://andersenhitches.com/Products...bed-shaft.aspx

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very pleased to report most of these questions are rendered moot by our professional inspection today. After 5 hours the inspector could only find only a small divot in the roof near the satellite prep that needed some sealant. This was his first new GD inspection, and he tells us this is absolutely the best rig he’s ever inspected.
    He also remarked how friendly and helpful the tech staff was. Often times they see him as the adversary, but not this crew.
    We continue to be very pleased with our decisions!

We are not done yet, but so far Sonnys in Concord, NC has been very professional, honest, and helpful about everything. They have a sister store in SC, near Spartanburg-Greenville area. Great experience so far, so check them out if you’re in the Mid-Atlantic region or don’t mind the drive.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, wrong thread! I wondered where this post disappeared to!