User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Septic Tank Treatment in the Black Tank

So, we are not full timers, but we have been spending the last 2 months wintering in FL and may be in the RV for another couple of months. This is our first long term (more than a couple of weeks) experience. Nominally, I use the geo method (water softener, detergent, and deodorizer) in the sewer tank. But I was wondering if anyone ever put septic tank additives (RidX) in the black tank to help break down things down between flushes. Would this be helpful, a bad thing, or not really have an impact? Given the directions from RidX say to add some to your septic tank every month, seems like it would do some good when flushing weekly/bi-weekly. Anybody every try this, or is there some reason not too. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We, and most of the full-timers we know over in the Escapees RV Club, don't use anything except plenty of fresh water after dumping and rinsing. I put 4 - 5 gallons in after each dump and flush. We don't have smell problems and the black tank level indicators even still work! I don't see spending money if a problem doesn't exist.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried RidX in our black tank a few times. Did not seem to do much. Like second chance mentioned, lots of water is the trick. I do use RidX at home since we have a septic tank. Once a month.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the geo method suggested by klean tanks and lots of water to start.
    https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    So, we are not full timers, but we have been spending the last 2 months wintering in FL and may be in the RV for another couple of months. This is our first long term (more than a couple of weeks) experience. Nominally, I use the geo method (water softener, detergent, and deodorizer) in the sewer tank. But I was wondering if anyone ever put septic tank additives (RidX) in the black tank to help break down things down between flushes. Would this be helpful, a bad thing, or not really have an impact? Given the directions from RidX say to add some to your septic tank every month, seems like it would do some good when flushing weekly/bi-weekly. Anybody every try this, or is there some reason not too. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Rid x requires a different type of process to do anything. You will be dumping your tank to often for Rid x to even start doing its thing. A septic tank and black tank are two entirely different processes to breakdown solids. The best thing to breakdown solids in a black tank is plenty of water.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ggates
    I just use 1 cup Dawn with 5 gallons of water. Once in a while I throw a Tied laundry pod in. No issue in two trailers over 12 years. BTW - use Dawn - it breaks up grease and poo better. It also seem to lube the slide gate too
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,

Thanks for the responses. I sort of thought that RidX might not do much, but I thought it was worth asking.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Happy Camper.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we use a mix of dawn and borax to rid tanks of smell.
    afterward just the borax.
    spend time with the flush
    and get a clear elbow with its own gate. that way you can see when its clean.