Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane tank upgrade input

Heading Xcountry in our Grand Design Imagine. I am swapping the (2) 20# tanks for (2) 30#. Because of the extra height the gas line is about 12" short. I can rig a short extension or replace the entire hose which runs up to a junction fitting about halfway up. Replace all or extension ok ?

I am also looking at this two year old regulator set up and wondering is this really the best way to set this up for extended trips. The auto switchover always leaves me wondering which tank I'm on, and how much is left. The red\green color thing never seems to work. Is there a better setup that has guages so I can see each tank ?

Images attached. (sideways... hmmm)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	31708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	31710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	31711

Input on these issues appreciated.

Jonathan
    Plymouth, MA

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtwilber View Post
    Heading Xcountry in our Grand Design Imagine. I am swapping the (2) 20# tanks for (2) 30#. Because of the extra height the gas line is about 12" short. I can rig a short extension or replace the entire hose which runs up to a junction fitting about halfway up. Replace all or extension ok ?

I am also looking at this two year old regulator set up and wondering is this really the best way to set this up for extended trips. The auto switchover always leaves me wondering which tank I'm on, and how much is left. The red\green color thing never seems to work. Is there a better setup that has guages so I can see each tank ?

Jonathan
    Plymouth, MA
    Sorry can't answer about the hose but I think the reason your regulator is not working is because you have the switch over half way in between. It should be pointing to one tank or the other and then it will work properly. As will you should also have the regulator attached on top of the hold down bar between the nut and the hold down bar so it doesn't bounce around.

Any other questions just ask.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Sorry can't answer about the hose but I think the reason your regulator is not working is because you have the switch over half way in between. It should be pointing to one tank or the other and then it will work properly. As will you should also have the regulator attached on top of the hold down bar between the nut and the hold down bar so it doesn't bounce around.

Any other questions just ask.

Rob
    Thanks Rob for notes. I've had the switch both places and never had red\green. Regulator works... I just find the auto changeover confusing. I tossed the regulator on for the pic but proper way as you point out is to catch top of bracket frame. Thanks for input.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob for notes. I've had the switch both places and never had red\green. Regulator works... I just find the auto changeover confusing. I tossed the regulator on for the pic but proper way as you point out is to catch top of bracket frame. Thanks for input.
    That is really strange that it never went red when pointing to one tank even if the tank was empty.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan
    Plymouth, MA
    I would replace the hose with an appropriatly longer one and install the regulaor securely.

As far as the tank switching goes: the way it is designed to work is: first you turn both tank valves fully on, next, you point the valve at one tank and it takes Propane out of that tank. When that first tank runs out of Propane, the little indicator changes from green to red letting you know that the first tank is empty. When you take the first tank off to re-fill it, you switch the valve to point to the other tank (the one that still has Propane in it). When you return with your filled tank you simply connect the full tank and turn the tank valve on. When the other tank (non-filled tank) runs empty the indicator will change to red and you will need to fill up the other (second) tank and start the process all over.

Basically, what this system does is keep you from running outside in the middle of a cold night, in your underwear, to switch to a new Propane tank because your Furnace quit working at 3 in the morning (ask me how I know this).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what @SolarPoweredRV said. You could also simply install lp extensions. That will make it easier to go back to 20 tanks without extra hose to deal with.
    We also got these to help see the level in our tanks.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01C5RQI74/..._hScdGbDSJ3F90

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might need to have a slight amount of Gas flowing for the regulator to change colors (light the stove to purge the lines). If you take both tanks off and then reconnect everything and turn on the valves it will be a while for the gauge to catch up. But the lever needs to be full right or left pointing to the tank your using.

Now if it never changes color when in use then you may have a faulty regulator.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jtwilber,

You have gotten good advice, and all I am going to do is add a couple of things.

1. Agree with replacing the entire hose, just get a replacement hose of the needed length. Keep the original hose if you decide to go back to 20lb tanks.
    2. I also have the Mokeka tank registers they work great
    3. Before your switch out your regulator, try to run the stove for a few and see if the red/green work, otherwise maybe replace the regulator.
    4. With the regulator switch in the middle it will draw from both tanks. I don't like that, I always have it in one tank or the other.

I have 30lb tanks and and love em. You will too.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS