User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bigiron

B&W Companion/airbags

Getting ready to move up to a fifth wheel from a TT. I am sold on the B&W Companion for obvious reasons. I am still looking at different model fifth wheels from GD, but I plan on installing air bags nonetheless. Is anybody using bags with the B&W Companion? I see that Airlift offers a B&W compatible but with modifications required to both the bags and the hitch. I have not looked at the Firestone bags yet, but want to make sure I can install bags if I have too before installing the B&W. Thanks all.

Steve and Lynne
    As you will see in our signature, we have the B&W Companion and AirLift air bags with AirLift compressor, no modifications needed. Everything went together absolutely fine, installation done by myself and (mostly) my senior tech at my last automotive service shop. I have never called AirLift for help, didn't need it, but I have talked to the folks at B&W for advice and they are patient and helpful. They may be able to counsel on your particular vehicle. My personal opinion is the same as yours- the B&W is the absolute best!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigiron...what year and model is your truck?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a TT first before getting a 5er. When I had the TT I installed my Firestone Ride Rite airbags with my Airlift Wireless compressor and the Hellwig Sway bar for my 2013 F250. When we moved up to the 5er, I too needed a hitch for my truck. Well I wanted the B&W turnover ball, so that when I removed my Companion hitch I have a full flare surface in the bed (had to do this already to move some furniture).

Ok with all that being said, I went ahead and got the turnover ball and installed this myself, as I've done with the bags and sway bar, and I didn't have any fitment issues installing the B&W turnover ball after I had already had the airbags on. In fact everything on my 2013 makes installment easy enough.

I like the setup I have, I like the companion hitch as it doesn't allow someone to come pull your kingpin handle while your hooked up and release the camper. As long as there is pressure on the hitch, the kingpin doesn't unlatch. I don't feel much back there while pulling either.

As always though, do lots of research and make an educated purchase for the type of towing you will be doing. Best of luck and happy camping.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bigiron
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    Bigiron...what year and model is your truck?

Dave
    Dave, it's an '02 F-250 crew cab short bed.

Bigiron
    Quote Originally Posted by GD350M View Post
    I had a TT first before getting a 5er. When I had the TT I installed my Firestone Ride Rite airbags with my Airlift Wireless compressor and the Hellwig Sway bar for my 2013 F250. When we moved up to the 5er, I too needed a hitch for my truck. Well I wanted the B&W turnover ball, so that when I removed my Companion hitch I have a full flare surface in the bed (had to do this already to move some furniture).

Ok with all that being said, I went ahead and got the turnover ball and installed this myself, as I've done with the bags and sway bar, and I didn't have any fitment issues installing the B&W turnover ball after I had already had the airbags on. In fact everything on my 2013 makes installment easy enough.

I like the setup I have, I like the companion hitch as it doesn't allow someone to come pull your kingpin handle while your hooked up and release the camper. As long as there is pressure on the hitch, the kingpin doesn't unlatch. I don't feel much back there while pulling either.

As always though, do lots of research and make an educated purchase for the type of towing you will be doing. Best of luck and happy camping.
    So, how stressful was it drilling that 4" hole in your bed? Is there any wiggle room in the hitch if the hols is off a hair? Installation looks easy, it's just the hole that makes me cringe.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bigiron,

Cut yourself a piece of plywood that is a tight fit between the wheel wells and first drill the large hole exactly where you want it in the plywood. Then remove the centre drill bit and use the plywood to guide the hole saw. Rock the hole saw gently back and forth so you are only cutting part of the circle at a time, not the full 360 degrees. Even if the hole saw jumps out of the hole (which is not likely to happen with this method) the plywood protects everything around the hole.
    . . . I've drilled lots of big holes in lots of finished surfaces (on boats) using this method . . . it takes a little longer to prepare, but takes away the "stress" .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Bigiron
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hey Bigiron,

Cut yourself a piece of plywood that is a tight fit between the wheel wells and first drill the large hole exactly where you want it in the plywood. Then remove the centre drill bit and use the plywood to guide the hole saw. Rock the hole saw gently back and forth so you are only cutting part of the circle at a time, not the full 360 degrees. Even if the hole saw jumps out of the hole (which is not likely to happen with this method) the plywood protects everything around the hole.
    . . . I've drilled lots of big holes in lots of finished surfaces (on boats) using this method . . . it takes a little longer to prepare, but takes away the "stress" .

Rob
    Thanks for the info...good advice for sure!

Jthamilton
    I have the companion hitch and was planning on utilizing it to its potential yesterday when backing the fifth wheel into the hangar for the first time.

It did involve some tight turning but i never had to slide it back. I've towed my new reflection 323bhs from Califorina to Colorado and love the hitch. Looking at airbags next and long range tank!
    Good luck

Bigiron
    Well, I have narrowed my air bag choice to the big two. Ride Rite and Airlift. I like the Air Lift, with the internal jounce bump stop, but am concerned about the way they mount. They clamp to the top of the factory bump and I am concerned the bump stop may eventually bend or crack. The Firestone bags straddle the bump stop and clamp to the axle, which appears to be a more robust style of mounting. Any opinions from those who have used both? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast