User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost embarrassing.

We're on our first extended-stay trip through Gulf State Park and Top Sail Hill Preserve with our 2021 310GK-R. During the trip south from Missouri, our water heater door decided to part ways with us somewhere on the interstate. Then we found out, you can't just buy a replacement door. You have to buy the whole framed unit with it for $48 and change. Ouch. Still haven't figured out how to stop it from happening again.

Then today we notice the drive motor cover of the large awning is missing. So I pull out the binder of paperwork to locate the Carefree specs. They have a website listed for their Compass Brand and went there for help but was almost embarrassed to read this excerpt on the first page:

"The Compass patio awning utilizes the same awning platform as the Altitude patio awning giving it the stregth, rigidity and performance expected from a Carefree awning. The Compass however, comes at the most economical price point of any vertical arm patio awning on the market today. No other awning comes with more features and options for less. Never go the wrong direction with the Compass!"

Most economical price point?

Why in the heck did we pay an extra $22,000 over the S-Class similar floor plan to find Grand Design using the cheapest stuff available?

This is our third Grand Design trailer and I'm starting to seriously question the top-of-the-line Solitude quality.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO all RV's (travel trailers, fifth wheels) are cheap. The difference between brands is marketing (arctic package) and customer service. Most RV's at a similar price point (apples to apples) use the same water heaters, A/C's, cabinets, etc. Father in-law worked for Jayco for 36 years and due to the lack of customer service at Jayco (mainly because of being bought out by Thor in 2016) we went with Grand Design. A throw it out society makes more money for companies so the days of quality are long gone. Hence your Chinese made water heater. Even the $$$$$$ fifth wheels use cheap awnings. For example LUXE uses Dometic.
    2021 Solitude 380-FL
    2020 Ram 3500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S class was never designed to be a full blown Solitude. It is more like a Reflection on a Solitude frame and the plus is you get much more CCC than if you had bought a full Solitude or Reflection. It is also priced in the middle of the 2.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking the water heater door and furnace door latches before towing are just part of owning one I believe. I always check mine and have never found them unlatched but it could happen I guess. I think it's more common for the two fridge vents to take a hike but you don't have those with the R model. Mine are screwed to the frame work since my residential fridge conversion, no worries now.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallwinDan View Post
    We're on our first extended-stay trip through Gulf State Park and Top Sail Hill Preserve with our 2021 310GK-R. During the trip south from Missouri, our water heater door decided to part ways with us somewhere on the interstate. Then we found out, you can't just buy a replacement door. You have to buy the whole framed unit with it for $48 and change. Ouch. Still haven't figured out how to stop it from happening again...
    Be sure to twist the little latch thingy and then rotate it so it lays flat. Not sure how it can come loose when properly locked and laid flat. (assuming of course it's the ol' standard type cover/door)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallwinDan View Post
    Why in the heck did we pay an extra $22,000 over the S-Class similar floor plan to find Grand Design using the cheapest stuff available?

This is our third Grand Design trailer and I'm starting to seriously question the top-of-the-line Solitude quality.
    We've experienced similar frustration with cheaply-made components and poor workmanship in our 310GK.

However coincidentally or not the end cap on our main awning also disappeared and I'm posting to let you know that it was one of the less-painful issues I've had to deal with. I called Carefree, placed an order over the phone for the ~$25 part, got it soon after, and installed it easily. They were easy to deal with. Other problems have certainly been more of a PITA.

The lost heater door is most likely an operator error - yours or the dealer's - sorry. I've never seen the problem reported here or in the other forum, and have trouble imagining the door falling off except if it wasn't properly closed or if the closure latch on it broke away.

Nevertheless, I share your pain. Hope the break-in problems are few for you.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re right about them all being cheap. After going from an Imagine to a Reflection and finally a Solitude, I hoped the top of the Grand Design line really meant something special, but it doesn’t. They cut quality corners with the Solitude line, just like the lower priced models. My perception bubble of GD has officially been burst and I can be cynical about Solitude marketing promises from now on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lost our awing cover on a trip couple weeks ago. Ordered from RV upgrades for $16.95 + $9.95 shipping
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    We lost our awing cover on a trip couple weeks ago. Ordered from RV upgrades for $16.95 + $9.95 shipping
    Thanks Cannon07. Hopefully a new replacement will decide to stick around longer than the original.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lost an awing motor cover on our 1st trip south. GD covered it under warranty and sent us two. I kept the second one incase we lose another. I used a bit of glue to hold it on.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast