User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator and Inverter

Big learning curve on our 2021 Momentum.

1. Do you shut off the inverter when running the generator?

2. Is it better to use our portable generator if we aren't pulling a lot of amperage? Does shore power override inverter?

3. I am totally confused on how they installed a Zamp solar connector on roof, an unnamed 300?? ( not sure of size)watt panel, tied in to another 200?? (Nothing shows size) watt Zamp panel all into a Jaboni 30 amp controller.

4. We have the residential fridge so it came with the 2000 watt inverter. This is not on the build sheet.

5. The solar or inverter is not on the build sheet. The only thing I had added from the dealer was the second solar panel.

6 On a side note I did add 4 lithium batteries since we primarily boondock.

Don't even get me started on the oneconnect and one control with internet?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a few days ahead of you. I have already drained my 2 Lith batteries 3 times. I'm not saying you have these issues but beware: I have one panel, connected to 30 Z charge controller. I noticed my shore power was not charging my LiPO Lith batteries so I have learned from smart people on this forum that the 328G Momentum comes with a non LiPO Lith compatible shore power Converter and is not charging my batteries. Replacement part is $200 plus dollars. Short term solution I just bought a lithium battery tender until I can take back to dealer to have install right Converter. Double check that you have the right Converter for Lith batteries, my dealer overlooked this and I don't want anyone else to accidentally drain their $1000 each Lith batteries.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has been a mess and no I don't have the right converter, found this out two days ago. I have drained 400 ah already, twice. The first time they converter wasn't even on, they turned it off to hook up the battery monitor, which they failed even that at the dealership.

Do you leave the inverter on while running the generator?

I am also confused because the build sheet doesn't list the inverter or solar. Now the furnace isn't even working. I don't know if I have the patience for this rig.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would not have the inverter on when connected to shore power or generator. You would end up with a feedback loop between the converter and inverter. They would both try to charge the batteries at once. You would end up with a mess
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 31G. I have the factory solar and inverter. I installed 2 Battleborn Born batteries, but I replaced the stock WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics inverter. Our inverter has an automatic transfer switch, so if you hook up to shore power or run the generator, the inverter will not power the trailer. If you lose generator or shore power the inverter will kick on, but takes a few seconds. We leave our inverter on most of the time, usually turn it off at bedtime or leaving the trailer for a while since it will have a parasitic draw on the batteries. Hope this helps some.

‘21 Momentum 31G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red - thanks for the reminder, I just threw the converter breaker switch to make sure I wasn't feeding back in to the batteries. Good news, they got that one right.

AZ - I still need to update the converter, and we have the automatic transfer switch but the only thing I have read about the switch, is only switching between shore power and generator, nothing about the inverter. I have had to reset the inverter gfci once, on the inverter, and a hidden breaker switch under the stairs once, both times the generator was running. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.... there has been a lot of reseting of switches since getting this trailer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    Red - thanks for the reminder, I just threw the converter breaker switch to make sure I wasn't feeding back in to the batteries. Good news, they got that one right.

AZ - I still need to update the converter, and we have the automatic transfer switch but the only thing I have read about the switch, is only switching between shore power and generator, nothing about the inverter. I have had to reset the inverter gfci once, on the inverter, and a hidden breaker switch under the stairs once, both times the generator was running. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.... there has been a lot of reseting of switches since getting this trailer.
    There is another ATS that transfers between shore and generator, ours is next to the distribution panel. The inverter ATS is plugged directly into our inverter. We reset the GFCIs a few times too getting used to what is tied together, mostly when running our electric heater.

‘21 Momentum 31G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your inverter light stay on or go off with the generator running? Hopefully we have the same transfer transfer switch, i will look for it tomorrow. Glad to know I am not the only one blowing breakers.

I corrected the installation of the victron battery monitor today, have been running around turning things on and off. With the residential fridge and a few lights we draw 14 ah on average with inverter running.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    Does your inverter light stay on or go off with the generator running? Hopefully we have the same transfer transfer switch, i will look for it tomorrow. Glad to know I am not the only one blowing breakers.

I corrected the installation of the victron battery monitor today, have been running around turning things on and off. With the residential fridge and a few lights we draw 14 ah on average with inverter running.
    Yes, the light stays on if it’s powered on no matter what. We have the Magnum Dimensions 1K, I assume you have a 2K. I just picked up the Victron battery monitor I need to install still. We have the EMS monitor which shows us amp usage. We only have 30 amp so we definitely have to watch what we run.

‘21 Momentum 31G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response, sometimes I feel like I am going crazy trying to figure out the systems. The PDI was a joke, poor kid didn't have a single answer. We have the 2K and 50 amps. I learned the hard way that the inverter doesn't like to make ice, lol. That is one of the top three reasons we bought this 5'er.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast