Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide awnings

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide awnings

Anyone whether positive or negative have thoughts on slide awnings. We have a solitude 310gk ordered and just wondering about everyone’s thoughts on this

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyprclan1 View Post
    Anyone whether positive or negative have thoughts on slide awnings. We have a solitude 310gk ordered and just wondering about everyone’s thoughts on this
    Do you mean slide toppers?

Here are some already-existing threads at the links below. To find more of them yourself use Google, which is often a better way of finding things here than using the site's own Search function. Enter exactly the text below into Google and and it will show you results matching your text from this site only

"slide topper" site:mygrandrv.com

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-topper-or-not

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-on-GD-337-RLS
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don’t understand the point of them. Just another thing to deal with imo

Most of the Grand Design trailers have roof ladders so just go up and walk on the slide to clean them off before retracting

With slide toppers things could still get under them and now you can’t see that from the roof. You would have to have another ladder to look under the topper every time

Just my opinion. YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had them on my mh and loved them. Many slides may not have the materials for long term exposure to the elements, it is more than debris. The toppers keep large amounts of rain and uv off of those slide roof materials.

The toppers do come with a bit of maintenance, but in my opinion worth it.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our toppers were factory installed. Upon complaining about how they sag upon rainfall, dealer said they (dealer) install the rack higher than the factory thereby providing a better slope.
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyprclan1 View Post
    After @NB Canada comments above I'll rebut them.

We had a Reflection without slide toppers for one season, then traded for a Solitude with toppers.

Toppers are tops.

Not all of us like climbing onto the roof and sweeping off the slides, something we had to do frequently that first year as we stayed in Florida under Water Oak trees much of the time. We haven't done it once in the years since.

For a while we did look under the toppers when it had been stormy and something might have blown between the topper and the slide, but we never once found anything so we've become lazy about that now.

When it's raining the toppers markedly reduce the sound of the rainfall on the slide roof. This is especially notable in the bedroom, where night rainfalls frequently woke us in our topper-less Reflection.

I can't claim to have tested it, but it would be hard to refute that slide toppers at least modestly help keep the temperature in the trailer down on sunny days by shading the slide roof from the sun.

One of our toppers does collect a bit of a lake in heavy rains. It probably needs to be adjusted, but so far we just make sure nobody is standing beside it when we retract the slides and the water cascades harmlessly off.

After nearly three years with slide toppers we'd never buy an RV without them.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love our slide toppers and would not be without them. No need to sweep off the slide, rain noise is less and no need to worry about a leak as much.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we had 2 on our previous Rockwood and they are great. Never had an issue of anything getting between the slide topper and the top of the slides. We are going to see our new Imagine 2610 ML at the dealers tomorrow and we are having them install a slide topper on it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn’t it be difficult to maintain the seals?

Does the top of the slide not get coated in dust since it doesn’t get washed off with rain

I also hate the idea of screwing into the side of my trailer for the track

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a couple nights in 25 mph winds in Texas you'll learn to hate them.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast