User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on when to replace tires

My Question is about when to replace tire for people who have the same trailer or tires. I have a 2019 Grand Design 2600RB travel trailer ( bought new in 6-2018) that have the West Lake super ST tires ST 205-75-R15 with a date of Nov.2017 on 3 of them and Dec. 2017 on one . They have a Load range D. and a speed rated D. All have good tread and the camper stays under cover when not been used also is parked on rubber mats .I do check the tires and pressure before any trips. I have a TST cap system to check while traveling .They all look look good and have good tread(no cracks or bubbles ) but at what age do you need to look at replacing them . Thanks Tim

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Advice ranges widely. Trailer Life magazine says 3-5 years, going to the lower end if the RV isn't used much. UV degradation is faster, apparently, then if the tires are "exercised" more often. Other sources go up to 8 years. Of course, wear would otherwise be the first indicator. And I'll stay away from the grand debate over brand quality.....

Me? My 2017, that has spent way too much time parked, will probably get new shoes this summer.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start looking pretty close to them around 3 years. Usually no longer than 4.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my West Lake super ST tires ST 205-75-R15 early this year with Goodyear Endurance. The Westlakes had about 5000 miles on them, but I just didn't trust them any longer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BeerBrewer
    Do You know what the load rating was on the Good Year tire on your trailer
    Last edited by ranger tim; 01-24-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I replaced my West Lake super ST tires ST 205-75-R15 early this year with Goodyear Endurance. The Westlakes had about 5000 miles on them, but I just didn't trust them any longer.
    That's what I'm doing. Our rig is a little over a year old, don't know how many miles are on it. My brother works at Walmart and ordered for me 5 Goodyear Endurance tires delivered with free shipping with a 10% discount. Will repack bearings also while I'm at it. Also will be replacing the rubber valve stems with metal ones.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what load rating is on the Good Year tires ?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger tim View Post
    Do you know what load rating is on the Good Year tires ?
    I got load rate E on my Goodyear Endurance.
    Hope this helps. They are 225/75/R15.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i quoted the wrong size tires above. We used ST225/75R15 E rated Goodyear Endurance tires. The Goodyear tires are far superior!
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 01-24-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience you need to replace them NOW!!!!. We have a 2018 Imagine 2250RK and had tire blow on trip to Florida in Dec 2020 on busy Interstate 85 out of Atlanta - thank God for those GA Highway Hero units and their flashing lights. In my opinion Westlake tires should be placed in junk status for tires. Replaced all 5 tires(spare also) with USA made Goodyear Endurance tires, same size as that is on your camper. Only damage was plastic fender skirt that I had to replace because as soon as tire alarm went off I pulled over to side of road. If I had gone any further would have damaged rim beyond being able to use. When we first got camper I took aluminum roof flashing from HD and installed above tires with 1/2 inch screws otherwise when tire blew it would have destroyed black material above tires. The aluminum flashing took a beating when tire blew but did it's job of protecting underneath camper above tire.
    Things you need to do:
    1. Replace tires with Goodyear Endurance
    2. Install TPMS system if you have not already. You never know when camper tire blows without one until it is too late and you have serious damage to camper. http://www.tiretraker.com/
    TireTraker is the device I use; it has lifetime warranty and I have already had to replace 2 tire sensors under warranty. Bought extra one that I use on spare as a backup in case one goes bad.
    3. Replace the 13/16 lug nuts on spare tire mounted to bumper with 3/4 lug nuts where same socket fits all camper lug nuts and you don't have to worry about 2 socket sizes.
    4. Wish item for you would be 18v Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench - it made my life a lot easier changing out 4 tires at campground.
    5. Torque wrench to retorque lug nuts to proper torque, 100-120 ft/lbs
    6. Battery powered work light to change tires in dark.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-25-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast