User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already picked a route yet...

We run a 31MB on a standard bed Chevy 3500 with a Reese Goosebox. I think my bed is around 6.5ft... FWIW, we have a 16k Goosebox which is plenty for the 31MB, and cheaper than the 20k. I did have the factory gooseball puck system which I am using.

I've been on 6-7 trips with this setup, made some tight turns, and haven't had any issues yet with cab and bed clearance. I can even make close to a 90 degree turn on flat ground without making contact.

Its been a great setup for us so far.
    2021 Reflection 31 MB
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country SRW w/ Duramax
    Reese Goosebox 16k

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking all your numbers:
    31MB
    UVW = 9778
    GVWR = 11,995
    Max contents = 2217
    Tow Vehicle
    2020 F250 Super Duty SuperCrew Standard 6'9" Bed (do you mean CrewCab?)
    Similar vehicle with door decals
    https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...#post-16385367
    Payload: 2935 (vs your 3300?)
    GVWR: 10,800
    Payload
    Hitch in truck bed
    Passenger (truck payload includes 150 lbs. driver)
    A good rule of thumb is to use 20%-22% of trailer GVWR (~2500 lbs.)
    Using the Ford tool (attached), You are really close.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towing-Capability-Calculator-for-F-Series-Trucks-in-Stock.pdf 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	31910

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    Hi Folks,

We just put a deposit on a 31MB, which will be our first fifth wheel, and hope to get some advice on 2 potential hitch strategies. I searched and found no thread covering the below. I'm really hoping that a few of you might be able to help educate me.

First, the truck is a 2020 F250 Super Duty SuperCrew Standard 6'9" Bed (not long bed but not as short as a Dodge's - zing), 7.3L gas, 4:30 gears, 3,300 payload. I've researched the payload vs. pin weight and am comfortable with what I have. This truck is also a Tremor Offroad package, which has F350 rear leaf springs.

Importantly, this truck has no fifth wheel prep, so I need to add the Ford puck system or a B&W turnover ball. I'd prefer the B&W turnover ball as it is only one hole cut in the bed but there are some nuances below that may push in favor of the Ford puck system.

Overall, I'm debating between 2 hitch/pinbox combos in weight, ease of use, bed utilization, and turning articulation capability. Would any of you be able to share your experiences regarding the red for either of these hitch and pin/goosebox approaches?

1. B&W Companion (non-slider) for Ford Puck System (5 holes in bed)
    • Weight of Hitch/Pinbox/Total: 150/100/250 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Best (traditional 5er)
    • Bed Utilization: Hitch takes more space and requires 5 holes in bed for puck system.
    • Turning Articulation: I really don't know. Does anyone with a SuperCrew 6'9" bed use this hitch with a late model Reflection trailer? If so, how does it handle turns? I'm hoping to go this route but am concerned about the turning and don't want a slider due to weight.

2. Reese Goosebox 20K with B&W Turnover Ball system (1 hole in bed)

• Weight of Ball/Goosebox/Total: 10(ball)/225/235 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Okay (requires perfect alignment over ball when backing and requires safety chains)
    • Bed Utilization: Allows for an empty bed as it is just a ball. Requires 1 hole in bed to install B&W turnover ball.
    • Turning Articulation: I have read that folks are using the B&W setback ball (4" setback) combined with the Goosebox to basically simulate a setback similar to a slider or the Andersen system and that it provides good turning capability. Is anyone able to confirm?
    • Any other concerns/bad experiences with the Goosebox?

Also, I forgot to say I'm not considering sliders due to their weight and, again, I'm comfortable with my payload capacity with this gas engine 3/4 ton.
    Have you looked at the B&W Patriot manual slider? Lighter than Companion and good to 18k. Have never had to use slider yet..
    Last edited by Texdan; 02-06-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered the Andersen Ultimate Hitch? It fits on a goose ball, has a 4" offset hitch ball that still puts the weight directly over the axle but provides those extra 4" of clearance in turns, and only weighs about 40 lbs. I've had one for 3 years on a RAM 3500, 6'4" bed, towing a 310GK with no problems. It has about 5000 miles on it and still looks new. Easy to install, lightweight and saves a lot of "manpower" when you want a clean bed in your truck.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Bed Utilization: Hitch takes more space and requires 5 holes in bed for puck system.
    • Turning Articulation: I really don't know. Does anyone with a SuperCrew 6'9" bed use this hitch with a late model Reflection trailer? If so, how does it handle turns? I'm hoping to go this route but am concerned about the turning and don't want a slider due to weight.
    This is what we did with our 2006 F250 SD SRW 8 foot bed with Super Cab (1/2 rear seat). After buying the correct hole saw for the bed, my brother and I installed the Turnover Ball under the frame in under 3 hours (after all it was our first B&W install).

The Companion showed up later due to a lot of snow. That took another hour to configure, torque the bolts, and assemble. My other and I put another Turnover ball into his Sierra in less than 2 hours.

I can say this truthfully... Everyone who sees our B&W compliments us on making a good choice. Also, I can honestly say that there is no, nada, zip noise of any kind from the B&W hitch system while pulling a 14K+ solitude for several thousand miles now. I will add that if you do not remove the Companion every so often and lubricate the turnover ball system the release pin will get stuck from accumulated rust. I had to get underneath both trucks to free up the release mechanism and put "Anti-Seize" all over it. 16 months later the release systems were still working normally. Go B&W!

To answer your last question, My brother bought the B&W "slider" because he has the short bed Sierra with the same 1/2 back seat and my F250. Its for sale. He used it twice just to be using it and found that he really didn't need it. He pulls a 42 foot Cedar Creek, also at 14K+. The only time you have to worry about hitting the cab is either backing up or making crazy sharp turns. The noses of most if not all 5'ers have rounded corners just for this reason. If you're careful you shouldn't have a problem... .02!
    Last edited by fez111; 02-08-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just put down our deposit last week and are actively exploring the same setup (the Goosebox with B&W Turnover Ball system w/ 4" Setback ball). Been calling around for pricing for the B&W system so still working out details. Please let me know what you decided; but our research shows lots of people with that setup with no issues. We don't full time so the idea of not having the truck bed available to me on regular basis is main reason.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I literally am going through this decision process as we speak.

We just purchased a 340RDS

I have a Ram 3500 short bed 6’4” ,but at least it’s not a Ford...zing right back . Just kidding all good trucks and I’d like that extra bed space if I could get it.

Was considering Reese Box , B&W companion regular and slider version and the Pull Rite super glide auto.

I am going with the rather be safe than sorry approach and getting the Pull Rite Auto Slider.

Honestly I think any of the solutions will work. I have no desire to go to 90 degrees and put that stress on the camper. I just went this way to have no worries at all.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks,

We just put a deposit on a 31MB, which will be our first fifth wheel, and hope to get some advice on 2 potential hitch strategies. I searched and found no thread covering the below. I'm really hoping that a few of you might be able to help educate me.

First, the truck is a 2020 F250 Super Duty SuperCrew Standard 6'9" Bed (not long bed but not as short as a Dodge's - zing), 7.3L gas, 4:30 gears, 3,300 payload. I've researched the payload vs. pin weight and am comfortable with what I have. This truck is also a Tremor Offroad package, which has F350 rear leaf springs.

Importantly, this truck has no fifth wheel prep, so I need to add the Ford puck system or a B&W turnover ball. I'd prefer the B&W turnover ball as it is only one hole cut in the bed but there are some nuances below that may push in favor of the Ford puck system.

Overall, I'm debating between 2 hitch/pinbox combos in weight, ease of use, bed utilization, and turning articulation capability. Would any of you be able to share your experiences regarding the red for either of these hitch and pin/goosebox approaches?

• Weight of Ball/Goosebox/Total: 10(ball)/225/235 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Okay (requires perfect alignment over ball when backing and requires safety chains)
    • Bed Utilization: Allows for an empty bed as it is just a ball. Requires 1 hole in bed to install B&W turnover ball.
    • Turning Articulation: I have read that folks are using the B&W setback ball (4" setback) combined with the Goosebox to basically simulate a setback similar to a slider or the Andersen system and that it provides good turning capability. Is anyone able to confirm?
    • Any other concerns/bad experiences with the Goosebox?

Also, I forgot to say I'm not considering sliders due to their weight and, again, I'm comfortable with my payload capacity with this gas engine 3/4 ton.

Any update on what you chose?

I am in a 2021 F250 Tremor and I have a 2021 Reflection 337RLS. I'm looking for something that will keep my bed clean and just came across this concept since I didn't get the puck system from the factory. Any issues with bed rail clearance? I only plan to tow a couple times a year as my RV sits at hunt camp, so I don't mind being more careful as long as its reasonable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12