User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJBow View Post
    I assume you're talking about aftermarket options for improving payload. I was researching that a bit but haven't gotten into it too deep yet. I'll save that option for after I get some real weights.
    A while back I had a Class-C that was white knuckle on any road that wasn't flat and straight... this outfit improved handling to the point it was very pleasant to drive with my morning coffee in one hand.... https://www.hendersonslineup.com/ Mostly work on Big Class-A and Buses but have seen pickups there...I believe they also have a shop near Orlando...Thuren Fabrication is a good place to start research... They do a nice job explaining coil springs issues... according to the DodgeRam forum they taught Fiat how to properly align the front end of the 2019 Ram... Payload is always going to be what Ram says it is... But handling can be improved and that is what matters.... Sure a Ram 3500 is a better choice but if you already have a 2500?????
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer UVW vs the pin weight is about 16%, but everyone agrees those numbers are somewhat unreliable to begin with. So I guess it all depends on how it's loaded up but it seems like the pin weight will end up somewhere between 16-23% then. My plan is to get it all setup with current truck and get it weighed to see where I'm at.
    No - the listed pin weight is dry/unloaded. A loaded fifth wheel (propane, batteries, some things in the basement, etc.) will never be as low as 16% on the pin. That would cause handling issues. Stick with 23% of loaded weight (or GVWR if you don't have scale weights) for calculations. If it's close enough that you're worrying about each 100 lbs., it's too close.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2021 GD 295RL 5th wheel weighed out (I did the CAT scale process) at 16.8% of trailer (partially loaded) weight on the pin.

I believe that the payload sticker is based on "empty weight" meaning no fuel. I would assume that RAM would show you the maximum payload that they engineered the truck for, but as I probably did on my 2500 years ago through ignorance, people get away with overloads.

Just FYI, I bought an F150 with HDPP - it's sticker payload is 2743 lbs. Here are measurements and calculations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight results.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	31940

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like being close that's why I traded in my ctd 2500 for a ctd 3500.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are going to get a lot of tow police telling you all kinds of stuff.. First, a full tank of gas is already included.. so you get that weight back. I have the 268BH.. it had a hitch weight from the factory of 1314. I scaled it, and I have just over 1000 points of gear. My total weight was 9000 pounds. My scaled hitch weight loaded (no water) was 1480. My hitch itself is 147 pounds.. I had to add the rails as I don't have a puck system. You'll be right at your payload.. but the truck is not going to break if you are a little over.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time RVer - Bought a GD 278BH 5W and purchased a Ram 2500 today thinking the 2150 lb payload would be enough. Now that I'm doing some calculations I'm realizing I'm cutting it pretty close.

RV specs:
    1,325 hitch weight

Payload specs:
    2150 lb truck payload (on vehicle sticker)
    420 lb family
    225 lbs full tank of gas
    100 lb 5th wheel hitch (I haven't purchased it yet so could be more)

The factor I don't know is how much the RV cargo will increase the hitch weight. It seems 15% of the weight would go to the hitch so if we put 1,000 pounds in the RV, that will add 150 lbs to the hitch weight and put me over the payload max on the truck.

I have plenty of tow capacity, it seems the font/back axel weight limits have plenty to spare, but I'm very close on payload numbers as described above.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Did I not buy enough truck? I can see how people learn from their mistakes with RVs and tow vehicle buying.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    I would check the payload capacity again . I don’t know which trim you have or engine.
    We have a 2500 6.4 V8 with a payload capacity of 3350.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I would check the payload capacity again . I don’t know which trim you have or engine.
    We have a 2500 6.4 V8 with a payload capacity of 3350.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html
    Diesel drops your payload by a significant amount. It's the dilemma we are in now. If we go with a 2500 diesel then we would have to upgrade in the future if we wanted to move up form a travel trailer to a 5th wheel.

I would love to entertain the idea of a 3500 but they don't seem to exist right now (unless you want to spend more on a used one than new)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stappa View Post
    Diesel drops your payload by a significant amount. It's the dilemma we are in now. If we go with a 2500 diesel then we would have to upgrade in the future if we wanted to move up form a travel trailer to a 5th wheel.

I would love to entertain the idea of a 3500 but they don't seem to exist right now (unless you want to spend more on a used one than new)

I don't know where you live at but we drove from Washington to Caldwell, ID to Dennis Dillion you might have better luck with them, I would check out their website.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stappa View Post

My 2021 Ram Bighorn trim with the diesel has a 2224 LB payload. Yes the diesel does reduce capacity by quite a bit.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RAM website now shows you what you can haul in regards to 5th wheels.

These numbers are for a 4dr megacab short bed 4x4 with a 6.4 V-8

Weights Specification Dimension
    Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) (lbs.)
    Payload (lbs.)
    Towing capacity (lbs.)
    Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) (lbs.)
    5th-wheel towing capacity (lbs.)

These are for a 4-dr short bed 4x4 with a 6.4 V-8

Weights Specification Dimension
    Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) (lbs.)
    Payload (lbs.)
    Towing capacity (lbs.)
    Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) (lbs.)
    5th-wheel towing capacity (lbs.)

So you can see that just by deleting the megacab to a normal 4-dr gives you 300 lbs back.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret
    2020 Ram Megacab Dually Night Edition 4x4, 6.7 Cummins HD, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, 3.73 gears
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS - Ultimate Power - Peace of Mind - Arctic 4-Seasons Protection Packages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12