User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric heaters tripping 15A breaker. Upgrade possible?

Hi everyone. I have 2 electric heaters in my 2800BH to cut down on propane use. Problem is, they keep tripping the combo (GFI/microwave) 15/15 breaker switch. Is it possible to upgrade this switch to a 20 to prevent this?

Thanks.
    Famtraveler24
    2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
    2021 Imagine 2800BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a different outlet? You are overloading 1 circuit, try to use 2 circuits. 1 for each heater.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll try that
    I have them plugged into 2 separate outlets now. Thx!
    Famtraveler24
    2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
    2021 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electric heaters draw about 12A, they need to be on separate circuits. Separate outlets dont necessarily mean separate circuits. You should figure out which outlets are on each circuit. Just open all your breakers, shut one at a time and see what has power, make a list of what outlet is on each circuit and you should be good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Famtraveler24 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have 2 electric heaters in my 2800BH to cut down on propane use. Problem is, they keep tripping the combo (GFI/microwave) 15/15 breaker switch. Is it possible to upgrade this switch to a 20 to prevent this?

Thanks.
    The 15-amp breaker is in place to protect the wiring, which is probably only rated to 15-amps. Upgrading to a 20-amp breaker will allow the wiring to be overloaded, which can lead to overheating and, potentially, a fire.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll try that
    Do you have 30 or 50 amp service?
    With 30 amp., it is more difficult to use two heaters as the converter may need to run and can draw a 1000 watts or so. Yes you can turn it off, but the batteries may run low. It can be done, if you are willing to actively participate in power management.

With 50 amps, it is easy.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll try that
    This is a common misperception. Multiple outlets are often on a single circuit, at home or in an RV.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id be looking at the self contained RV style outlets .. they are poorly installed quite often and this will cause the outlet to draw more current than a properly installed commercial grade outlet would... its an easy up grade to accomplish on your 120 volts AC outlets if you have some basic skill sets

IMO the Self Contained OEM RV style outlets are junk. They meet the NEC standard but the amount of actual surface contact the wires make with the spring clips is marginal at best....

The industry uses these because they are quick to install and get the job done.. sometimes... IF the person using the SCD tool to install the wires into this type of outlet isn't experienced or doesn't check his work then you end up with a 120 volt AC outlet that may fail due to intermittent or no connection problem down the road

Additionally.. with many folks running inside space heaters and lots of high wattage appliances like an instapot, toaster, crock pot, hair dryer the outlet is drawing a lot of current with marginal surface contact at the wire to spring clamping feature on the back of the SC style outlet.

A simple low cost upgrade for all your 120 volt AC outlets would be to remove the SC style RV outlet and install in its place a "Old Work Box" SHALLOW style outlet box with a new 120 volt AC receptacle using the style with screws on the side to attach the wires.

This will give you an outlet that can safely and reliably draw current and wont vibrate loose after towing down less than stellar roads.

I've done this with my all of my OEM SC style outlets I immediately noticed the outlet in the kitchen my wife uses for her appliances is much cooler to the touch..

I also removed the OEM fireplace and replaced that outlet as well.. a bit more work to remove the fireplace but worth the effort

The pieces and parts needed to upgrade your SC style RV outlets can be found at any Lowes or Home Depot or ordered on line

Old Work Shallow Box:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...RSWR/202077341

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...l-Box/50425678

***There are a few other style "Old Work Shallow" single gang boxes that may suit your particular RV better then the ones I've shown but these worked fine for my application

Replacement 120 volt 15 amp outlet:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-ECP/301361472

You can buy the outlets in bulk ( ten per pack) and save a bit... I bought bulk

Images of a typical OEM SC style RV outlet.. you can see there was minimal contact and one pic it looks like the spring clamp didn't penetrate the wire insulation at all

If you have some basic electrical skills this is an easy task to complete and will assure you that your RV 120 volt AC outlets are safer and more reliable..

And of course.. safety is paramount. Disconnect shore power or kill the 120 volt AC breaker on the outlets your going to work on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scv1.jpeg   scv2.jpg  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    Id be looking at the self contained RV style outlets .. they are poorly installed quite often and this will cause the outlet to draw more current than a properly installed commercial grade outlet would... its an easy up grade to accomplish on your 120 volts AC outlets if you have some basic skill sets

IMO the Self Contained OEM RV style outlets are junk. They meet the NEC standard but the amount of actual surface contact the wires make with the spring clips is marginal at best....
    Thanks for this post. I have seen these terrible RV receptacles and considered doing this too. You just made up my mind to get it done.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    Typically those little heaters Pull as much as 10-12 amps so depending on what what is on the circuit it could be overloaded. Make sure they are plugged into separate circuits. If you can plug one into a GFCI and one not you are pretty sure to have to separate circuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast