User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    Id be looking at the self contained RV style outlets .. they are poorly installed quite often and this will cause the outlet to draw more current than a properly installed commercial grade outlet would... its an easy up grade to accomplish on your 120 volts AC outlets if you have some basic skill sets

IMO the Self Contained OEM RV style outlets are junk. They meet the NEC standard but the amount of actual surface contact the wires make with the spring clips is marginal at best....

The industry uses these because they are quick to install and get the job done.. sometimes... IF the person using the SCD tool to install the wires into this type of outlet isn't experienced or doesn't check his work then you end up with a 120 volt AC outlet that may fail due to intermittent or no connection problem down the road

Additionally.. with many folks running inside space heaters and lots of high wattage appliances like an instapot, toaster, crock pot, hair dryer the outlet is drawing a lot of current with marginal surface contact at the wire to spring clamping feature on the back of the SC style outlet.

A simple low cost upgrade for all your 120 volt AC outlets would be to remove the SC style RV outlet and install in its place a "Old Work Box" SHALLOW style outlet box with a new 120 volt AC receptacle using the style with screws on the side to attach the wires.

This will give you an outlet that can safely and reliably draw current and wont vibrate loose after towing down less than stellar roads.

I've done this with my all of my OEM SC style outlets I immediately noticed the outlet in the kitchen my wife uses for her appliances is much cooler to the touch..

I also removed the OEM fireplace and replaced that outlet as well.. a bit more work to remove the fireplace but worth the effort

The pieces and parts needed to upgrade your SC style RV outlets can be found at any Lowes or Home Depot or ordered on line

Old Work Shallow Box:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...RSWR/202077341

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...l-Box/50425678

***There are a few other style "Old Work Shallow" single gang boxes that may suit your particular RV better then the ones I've shown but these worked fine for my application

Replacement 120 volt 15 amp outlet:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-ECP/301361472

You can buy the outlets in bulk ( ten per pack) and save a bit... I bought bulk

Images of a typical OEM SC style RV outlet.. you can see there was minimal contact and one pic it looks like the spring clamp didn't penetrate the wire insulation at all

If you have some basic electrical skills this is an easy task to complete and will assure you that your RV 120 volt AC outlets are safer and more reliable..

And of course.. safety is paramount. Disconnect shore power or kill the 120 volt AC breaker on the outlets your going to work on
    Oh, my gosh! I didn't know they were pinch connections...this one is added to the todo list!
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into that problem then I realized I had two 20 amp outlets. The Dishwasher outlet in the Kitchen island and the washer/dryer outlet in the bedroom closet.

The dishwasher outlet was located at the bottom of the kitchen island. I removed the bottom wooden panel that was located left of the kitchen sink. The outlet was next to the heater duck. I relocated the outlet to be flush against the bottom trim of the Kitchen Island - no more tripping the breaker. No more issues.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12