User Tag List

Thread: ATV Trails

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATV Trails

My wife and I bought a GD imagine a few years ago to try out the camping scene. We both have really enjoyed it. We both are considering retiring next year. To celebrate that we are planning to using the first 2 years of our retirement to travel the country. At our age mobility is not good as it use to be. Planning for this has made me think how we could increase access and mobility. We have looked at ATVs and found a couple we really like. We are on the east coast and have a couple of major trips planed for the year, one to the Outer Banks and one to Crooked River, GA. I can't find any ATV trails near our camp grounds. I did a little more research and I can't find hardly any trails in the southeast (where we usually camp now) that are not commercial parks. Now I am questioning my ATV plans. My research finds many trails out west but very little on the east coast . Am I missing something? If I buy an ATV am I going to be so limited with it that it doesn't make sense?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stay at a lot of commercial parks, especially if you can ride right off the property. Look up the Hatfield and McCoy trail in West Virginia.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Rider Planet to help find trails I want to visit and then RVParky to plan my trip. The link for Rider Planet is:

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

There are a number of ATV parks in the south east where you can stay directly on the grounds and go riding right from your RV. In GA, Durhamtown is an excellent park. You can also try Carolina Adventure World in SC. I have visited both of them and really enjoyed it. If you want to come as far south as Florida then Sand Lot Offroad is an excellent park for riding. In Florida we also have the Ocala National Forest with 150 miles of ATV trails. The Salt Springs Campground right next to the forest is a great place to stay.

Feel free to message me if you want any advice or recommendations.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, cannot help. All our trails are on Grand Mesa (above Grand Junction, CO) and are under maybe 5' of snow. We stayed home this winter and I have had to snow plow 4 times so far ( we are at 7,200' so less then the 10,000' of Grand Mesa) and it is snowing hard now. We just found out the RV resort we go to in the winter has been flooded ( near El Centro, CA). No electricity or water. 225 days without rain and over a years worth in 3 to 4 days. More rain forecast, too.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Raccoon Mountain park in Chattanooga has trails you can ride to right out of the park. Lots to do in the area as well.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJD View Post
    My wife and I bought a GD imagine a few years ago to try out the camping scene. We both have really enjoyed it. We both are considering retiring next year. To celebrate that we are planning to using the first 2 years of our retirement to travel the country. At our age mobility is not good as it use to be. Planning for this has made me think how we could increase access and mobility. We have looked at ATVs and found a couple we really like. We are on the east coast and have a couple of major trips planed for the year, one to the Outer Banks and one to Crooked River, GA. I can't find any ATV trails near our camp grounds. I did a little more research and I can't find hardly any trails in the southeast (where we usually camp now) that are not commercial parks. Now I am questioning my ATV plans. My research finds many trails out west but very little on the east coast . Am I missing something? If I buy an ATV am I going to be so limited with it that it doesn't make sense?
    We spent 7 years living in OK. We RV'd in our, then Dutchmen Adirondack, and did a lot of ATV (quad bike) riding in the various locations that were locally, City etc.. and State owned in OK and TX. When we decide to move to the East coast we sold the two quad bikes as research proved there was virtually nowhere to ride them, comparatively speaking, here in N.C and surrounds. We now use our 4X4, a 4Runner at home and a Titan XD Pro4X when out with the RV, to drive on the Beach when we go to the OBX and here in Coastal N.C. FWIW, if I were you I would not bother with an ATV unless you are going to go West to the States that have the local, state and Federal ORV/ATV trails.
    Last edited by The_Lovells; 02-08-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turkey Bay OHVA in Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. Good camping nearby. Maybe a bit northwest of your area, but that’s what traveling is for.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana