Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Imagine 2800BH - Furrion heat/AC - Heat doesn’t work without FAN

Hi there -

This is my first post on here. I’ve tried to find some answers in the forums, but without much luck.
    We have a brand new ‘21 Grand Design 2800BH and just enjoyed a terrific trip through AZ, however, the first couple days were spent tearing our hair out trying to figure out the heater/furnace.

The problem was that when we were hooked up and tried to use the heater, when we’d set the temp (for example 64 degrees) the heater/furnace would kick on and wouldnt turn off until it was 100! We’d have to get up every hour or so and turn the heater on and off manually. It was either Palm Springs in July or Mammoth in January. Nothing in the middle. We thought the the thermostat was broken. We called Grand Design and they too thought it was broken. It wasn’t until a few YouTube search’s we discovered the thermometer for thermostat is in the AC unit. And to get it to read the inside temperature, you must run the fan ALL NIGHT! Now I like noise machines, but the problem is, what do we do when we’re camping off grid? Or boondocking? Again, In order to get heater/to work properly, we HAVE to have the fan on. And without an inverter or generator, I really don’t know what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06305561-936C-4369-A4BF-AC0A4400F86E.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	667.7 KB 
ID:	31756

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you got it worked out. I could be wrong, but I think the fan operates on 12v, it's the AC compressor that is 120v. Easy way to figure out is turn off the AC breaker and see if you can still run the fan. If boondocking, the fan and furnace will eat up some battery, so make sure you have a good battery bank or at least a way to charge the batteries.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the note. Unfortunately, I tried that. Ceiling fan is 120. Not 12v

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same Model and Year. This is not the case for us. We turn the thermostat to heat, set the temp and it cycles on and off. Now the temp swing is not as refined as a home thermostat, but it kept it around the temp we set it for. I am unsure how you'd keep the fan and heat on at the same time. If memory serves me, we have settings for Off, AC hi, AC low, Heat and Fan.

I'd call GD Tech again.

Good luck. Interested in hearing what they say

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldok3 View Post
    Hi there -

This is my first post on here. I’ve tried to find some answers in the forums, but without much luck.
    We have a brand new ‘21 Grand Design 2800BH and just enjoyed a terrific trip through AZ, however, the first couple days were spent tearing our hair out trying to figure out the heater/furnace.

The problem was that when we were hooked up and tried to use the heater, when we’d set the temp (for example 64 degrees) the heater/furnace would kick on and wouldnt turn off until it was 100! We’d have to get up every hour or so and turn the heater on and off manually. It was either Palm Springs in July or Mammoth in January. Nothing in the middle. We thought the the thermostat was broken. We called Grand Design and they too thought it was broken. It wasn’t until a few YouTube search’s we discovered the thermometer for thermostat is in the AC unit. And to get it to read the inside temperature, you must run the fan ALL NIGHT! Now I like noise machines, but the problem is, what do we do when we’re camping off grid? Or boondocking? Again, In order to get heater/to work properly, we HAVE to have the fan on. And without an inverter or generator, I really don’t know what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06305561-936C-4369-A4BF-AC0A4400F86E.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	667.7 KB 
ID:	31756
    The heat in our 2600RB is horrible, we also have the Furrion setup. Can you post references to the Youtube videos you found?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it does require the fan to feed the thermometer, then it shouldn't be running 100% -- it should cycle on periodically to sample the temperature. At least this is how every other heating/cooling device with a similar requirement has operated in my experience.

But otherwise I agree that ideally it should be letting the wall thermostat do all the work.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested - I spent 30 mins on the phone with Furrion this morning. When I told the gal we wanted to use our new Grand Design "Off Grid" and had a question about the heater, her first response was "do you have a generator?"

Not a good start. They confirmed their AC/HEAT system requires both AC and DC. The ceiling fan is needed for the heater and the fan ONLY works on AC power. This is terrible. I suppose many people only use their RV's at campgrounds, etc so perhaps this isn't much of an issue. But I think this is a terrible design and Grand Design needs to do something to correct it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested - I spent 30 mins on the phone with Furrion this morning. When I told the gal we wanted to use our new Grand Design "Off Grid" and had a question about the heater, her first response was "do you have a generator?"

Not a good start. They confirmed their AC/HEAT system requires both AC and DC. The ceiling fan is needed for the heater and the fan ONLY works on AC power. This is terrible. I suppose many people only use their RV's at campgrounds, etc so perhaps this isn't much of an issue. But I think this is a terrible design and Grand Design needs to do something to correct it.
    Wouldn’t be a difficult mod to put a separate thermostat on the suburban heater
    30minute fix I would think

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ceiling fan is needed for the heater and the fan ONLY works on AC power.
    If I am understanding that correctly, then this is a pretty big deal. It is a serious problem for anybody who boondocks without a huge battery bank and an inverter.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    If I am understanding that correctly, then this is a pretty big deal. It is a serious problem for anybody who boondocks without a huge battery bank and an inverter.
    I agree. Never tried mine before it was put away till spring
    It does appear there is info saying the temp sensor is in the a/c unit. There is a sensor relocation kit I found

I don’t understand how it could tell the interior temp of cooling either if it is in the unit itself

Hopefully more will show up to comment
    There would be hundreds of people using a lot of heat right now

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast