Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks! I have been stalking for quite a while. I certainly will depend on this group of experienced Grand Designers for input. We have camped for years and so I am comfortable with towing, Weights, etc. I was a bit nervous about the whole electric thing. Thanks for the encourgement.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafamaku View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am leaning more and more to DYI. To be candid, I was a bit anxious when in my research I was reading about the various inverters, multiplus, etc that required programming. My VCR still blinks 12:00. However, I think the approach is "Think big, Start small, and scale up from there". So I am considering ~600 Watts of solar on the roof wired in parallel as we will camp in partial shade from time to time. 300ah Lithium Batteries, ( I would like to run everything but the AC and keep the fridge on Propane) A 3000 Pure Sign Inverter, an automatic transfer switch, A BMS and appropriate monitoring/management panels. The trick will be in the planning and routing of the wires/cables. Since most of the equipment will be in the storage bay and the WFCO is in under the pantry.
    What camper do you have? If you have a 5th wheel, there may be enough space under the stairs for your batteries and your wiring (that is where I installed mine).

Here is a trick I used to plan the layout that helped me a lot: I figured out how much space I had available to mount my wiring and cut a sheet of plywood to fit the space, I then cut a piece of cardboard to match and laid all my components out on the cardboard on top of my kitchen island. Once I was satisfied with the layout, I took a photo for reference, this made the actual installation go very smoothly.

PS: if you choose the correct Inverter/Charger you can eliminate the Transfer Switch (Victron's Multiplus Inverters have a built-in Automatic Transfer Switch).

PPS: depending on your battery choice, you can also eliminate the BMS.

PPPS: See how much easier your project has already become !!!!
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 01-26-2021 at 07:44 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    What camper do you have? If you have a 5th wheel, there may be enough space under the stairs for your batteries and your wiring (that is where I installed mine).

Here is a trick I used to plan the layout that helped me a lot: I figured out how much space I had available to mount my wiring and cut a sheet of plywood to fit the space, I then cut a piece of cardboard to match and laid all my components out on the cardboard on top of my kitchen island. Once I was satisfied with the layout, I took a photo for reference, this made the actual installation go very smoothly.

PS: if you choose the correct Inverter/Charger you can eliminate the Transfer Switch (Victron's Multiplus Inverters have a built-in Automatic Transfer Switch).

PPS: depending on your battery choice, you can also eliminate the BMS.

PPPS: See how much easier your project has already become !!!!
    We are purchasing a 22MLE. I have been taking a hard look at the Victron Multiplus as I understood it to be a "All in One" device and pairing it with the Cerbo GX. That does seem to simplify the number of devices I need, but perhaps increases the complexity of configuration and programming. (See the comment about my VCR)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 22MLE also. I boondock in Idaho and Montana during the summer for about a month. I use the two interstate 27 batteries that came with the TT and hook up a 100 w Renogy light weight suitcase panel to the furion solar plug by the passthrough. I use a cheap 20 amp controler mounted inside the pass through near the water connector. Being fairly frugal, we have no issues with keeping the batteries charged. Fridge and water heater are on propane, we limit the use of force air heater to 15-20 min in the am on cold mornings, wash dishes outside in tubs, take short showers to save on water pump use. For the microwave and wifes hairdryer, toaster, etc we use a honda 2200i generator. At night for tv we use a Rockpalls 350 w solar generator. It runs the tv for at least 3-4 hours and charges up the next day with our 2nd 100 w Renogy lightweight suitcase solar panel. I prefer having portable solar panels so i can place them in the sun at the proper angles to get the most watts charging. Sometimes your rv is parked in the shade so having flexibility to put your solar panels in the sun is nice. Plus mounted on top of the rv the solar panels may not be positioned for maximum charging in the am or afternoon. Plus a pain to clean the surfaces which affects your efficiency when dirty. im looking at large powerful solar generators such as the Titan to run the Rv. Everything u need is in one box. They charge fast, and in the case of the titan u can run your Ac for a limited time on it.

BTW, If you are camping only on weekends or 3 day weekends your needs wont justify, IMO, a factory installed system costing $2000 or more. But if you do decide you want a diy system, then make sure you have components that are able to handle upgrades. Dont go minimal on the inverter or controller. Best batteries are lithium. But lead acid or others works if you are careful on how u use them. Hope this helps. Lots of good advice on here depending on your needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure who your dealer is. We bought our rig from a private seller who had HIS dealer do the solar install. What. A. Mess. Audio cables on the batteries, 10 gauge instead of correct 6 gauge wire from inverter to breaker box. No proper disconnect breaker. Misconfigurations all over the place on the Victron system. I would have a proper solar company handle it. There are lots, but I have no specific recommendations.

I can, however, highly recommend Future Sales in Elkhart for corrections and new installations.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a very similar system myself.
    I suggest you make a cardboard mock up
    Think it out. Your crimps must be good , tie up loose wires. Try not to have them all overlapping. The cardboard will help you move things around.
    Make sure you are using proper gauge
    Make sure it’s properly fused.

I used Victron 12/3000/120 for the inverter charger automatic switch in one unit
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I did a very similar system myself.
    I suggest you make a cardboard mock up
    Think it out. Your crimps must be good , tie up loose wires. Try not to have them all overlapping. The cardboard will help you move things around.
    Make sure you are using proper gauge
    Make sure it’s properly fused.

I used Victron 12/3000/120 for the inverter charger automatic switch in one unit
    Thats a really suggestion to anyone doing a system from scratch. Also give you a chance to easily test each individual components.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am finalizing the purchase of a 22MLE. We plan to do mostly dry/boondocking. The dealer we are working with insists that they can do the install (Panels, charge controller, Inverter, auto switch, etc), however, they only have a handful of references and mostly just installing panels. My "spidey" senses are telling me to DIY, but thought I would ask how many of you did DYI, Dealer or Third Party.
    We had ours installed by the dealer and I don't regret it. I think they did a great job, looks clean organized and haven't had any issues. I don't really have the inclination to do my own install and certainly don't have the time. Our trailer has the port for the plug in type portable panel. I probably didn't give that possible option enough consideration, but on our next trailer I think I might. I'm not really sure I need the permanent install grade panel to meet our needs and will probably give the plug in version a try next time before I spring for the permanent panel install.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick will be in the planning and routing of the wires/cables. Since most of the equipment will be in the storage bay and the WFCO is in under the pantry.
    Here's a thought.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-modest-system
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had looked at that before and am interested in replicating it. I would like to have 200ah of Battery, but like the location.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast