Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential Momentum Buyer - Oshkosh, WI

Hello! Thanks to all the people that have left knowledge and resources on this forum! I have greatly enjoyed reading through it the last couple of weeks! The wife and I decided to put our house up for sale and live temporarily in a toy hauler. We've narrowed our search down and are pretty set on a Momentum 320g or now strongly considering the 351m.

We are fairly young at 30 y/o so this isn't a retirement move. We purchased our house almost exactly 2 years ago and just found out we can most likely profit 30k-40k if we sold it right now. Since we live close to a highway we've always said this was a "5 year house" but now it's looking like a 2 year house haha.

We currently own a Coachmen Freedom Express 301BLDS bumper pull toy hauler that has served us well for 2 years but it is definitely not something I'd want to live in. This would be our first 5th wheel and I'm excited to not have to deal with bumper pulling anymore. I road race sportbikes (Kawasaki zx10r) at places like Road America, Autobahn Country Club and the National Corvette Museum track. After we buy or build a new house this unit will live on as our track home.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) What do you plan on towing with? A fully loaded 351M will put over 3,800 lbs. on the pin. In most cases, that's in dual rear wheel territory. 2) Have you thought about what you're going to do about legal domicile?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    1) What do you plan on towing with? A fully loaded 351M will put over 3,800 lbs. on the pin. In most cases, that's in dual rear wheel territory. 2) Have you thought about what you're going to do about legal domicile?

Rob
    That's a great question and one I'm pretty ignorant on right now. I didn't mention this in my first post but we will be 90% static in Oshkosh, WI because I still have to work in the office. Aside from vacations and a few weekend trips it will be parked at one RV park so I was going to ask my insurance company how we need to cover it. We are going to use my wife's parents' house in Oshkosh or get a PO box.

As for towing I have read many threads about the 351m and owners have weighed theirs at 2700-3200lbs of pin weight depending on what is loaded in the garage, all had the Onan generator which we will not have. We use a portable Yamaha invertor at the track and will continue to use that, no interest in running the Onan all night. So not going to get a dually as I have to drive it in snow 3-4 months a year, through drive-thru's, parking, etc. I don't even know that I could fit in the parking garage for work downtown, my tow mirrors can't be out at the parking gates or they hit the pillars. I appreciate your concern for safety though
    Last edited by LossPrev; 01-25-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LossPrev View Post
    We've narrowed our search down and are pretty set on a Momentum 320g or now strongly considering the 351m.
    I'm right with you. I just bought my 349m (with optional 1/2 bath) after looking at the 350g and the 351m. My wife wanted the island kitchen and I wanted the slightly bigger garage. '

I road race sportbikes (Kawasaki zx10r) at places like Road America, Autobahn Country Club and the National Corvette Museum track. After we buy or build a new house this unit will live on as our track home.
    Now we're really talking! I have the bikes I race in my .sig here in Colorado and I'm on the MRA board of directors. I've raced RA a few times and have been to Brainerd, Midlands, and a bunch of other tracks across the US (this'll be my 32nd year racing - you'd think I would have learned better by now, but no!).

Anyway, another guy and gal on this forum (xrated) were track instructors who went to Barber and other places a few times. So there's a few of adrenalin junkies on this forum.

I'll be very interested in what you end up with, so please stay in touch!

I'm in the process of "fixing" the garage in my 349M for roadracing and dirt riding. For roadracing, I usually take both Ducs, leathers, tools, pit gear, etc. and will probably have a friend along this year on a Kawalski 300. For dirt, I'll want to be able to fit 5 full sized dirt bike, with gear, work equipment and tools. So I have quite a bit of customizing to do.
    signature

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I'm right with you. I just bought my 349m (with optional 1/2 bath) after looking at the 350g and the 351m. My wife wanted the island kitchen and I wanted the slightly bigger garage. '

Now we're really talking! I have the bikes I race in my .sig here in Colorado and I'm on the MRA board of directors. I've raced RA a few times and have been to Brainerd, Midlands, and a bunch of other tracks across the US (this'll be my 32nd year racing - you'd think I would have learned better by now, but no!).

Anyway, another guy and gal on this forum (xrated) were track instructors who went to Barber and other places a few times. So there's a few of adrenalin junkies on this forum.

I'll be very interested in what you end up with, so please stay in touch!

I'm in the process of "fixing" the garage in my 349M for roadracing and dirt riding. For roadracing, I usually take both Ducs, leathers, tools, pit gear, etc. and will probably have a friend along this year on a Kawalski 300. For dirt, I'll want to be able to fit 5 full sized dirt bike, with gear, work equipment and tools. So I have quite a bit of customizing to do.

That's awesome! Very people can make it past 5 years, I hope I can hold out just as long as you are! I did a lot of trackdays and a couple of race weekends for a few years on a 2012 R1 then took a 3 year break and have definitely considered taking another one at least once or twice. I came back in 2018 and raced pretty much the full CCS Midwest series every year with Trackside Suspension & Engineering, getting my expert race license mid-way thru 2019. Just started coaching with Midwest Track Day last year as well, really enjoying that and will probably do more of that then racing this year actually.

Sounds like you definitely need the biggest garage possible, I on other hand only want enough room for the zx10 and a pitbike. I love having friends come with...sometimes, not all the time. I had to kick one of my best friends out of our current toy hauler because it became an expectation that he can stay with us at every track weekend. He'd show up Friday night to crash and be gone by Sunday afternoon, meanwhile I'm stuck with all the dirty work haha. I really want to get into dirt but just haven't found the time and money to go down that rabbit hole. Fortunately, my one friends just picked up a 2nd KTM two stroke so I'm thinking we can use my toy hauler and I'll ride his bike.

If you don't mind, throw some pictures up in here of the bikes, riding, rig, etc. I'd like to see them.

Here's one of my favorites, from Road America Turn 6

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	116042773-2777505262349495-6741610426126783644-o.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	31774

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very people can make it past 5 years
    Yep. In our club, the average membership is 3 years. Lots of reasons to stop racing - having kids is a big one.
    I came back in 2018 and raced pretty much the full CCS Midwest series every year with Trackside Suspension & Engineering, getting my expert race license mid-way thru 2019. Just started coaching with Midwest Track Day last year as well, really enjoying that and will probably do more of that then racing this year actually.
    Sounds really good. I also like doing the race school stuff - we (the MRA) have a new riders' school every April, then every race weekend we have a "SuperStreet" program where street riders can get on track for $100 and minimal bike preparation.
    I had to kick one of my best friends out of our current toy hauler because it became an expectation that he can stay with us at every track weekend.
    Boy, we could talk for hours about that. I don't know about you, but I get pretty focused on racedays. Having distractions like pesky people who don't understand the mental stuff going on is horrible. I've even tried to have pit help before, but I found out that you get the amount of help that you actually pay for.
    I really want to get into dirt but just haven't found the time and money to go down that rabbit hole. Fortunately, my one friends just picked up a 2nd KTM two stroke so I'm thinking we can use my toy hauler and I'll ride his bike.
    That sounds more than reasonable to me!
    Dirt is just plain fun and it's cheaper. It'll definitely make you a better roadracer.
    I've lived in the western US all my life and there are plenty of places to ride literally right out of my backyard.
    If you don't mind, throw some pictures up in here of the bikes, riding, rig, etc. I'd like to see them.
    You inspired me to put up some photos on my webpage - https://www.bigstickracing.com/ - but it's just of racing stuff.

My truck and 349M are an album on my page in this forum - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/album.php?albumid=347

So - have you decided on which Momentum to get yet?
    signature

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Yep. In our club, the average membership is 3 years. Lots of reasons to stop racing - having kids is a big one.

Sounds really good. I also like doing the race school stuff - we (the MRA) have a new riders' school every April, then every race weekend we have a "SuperStreet" program where street riders can get on track for $100 and minimal bike preparation.

Boy, we could talk for hours about that. I don't know about you, but I get pretty focused on racedays. Having distractions like pesky people who don't understand the mental stuff going on is horrible. I've even tried to have pit help before, but I found out that you get the amount of help that you actually pay for.

That sounds more than reasonable to me!
    Dirt is just plain fun and it's cheaper. It'll definitely make you a better roadracer.
    I've lived in the western US all my life and there are plenty of places to ride literally right out of my backyard.

You inspired me to put up some photos on my webpage - https://www.bigstickracing.com/ - but it's just of racing stuff.

My truck and 349M are an album on my page in this forum - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/album.php?albumid=347

So - have you decided on which Momentum to get yet?
    Great pics! Both Ducati's are beautiful! How do you like the 1199? I've always wanted to try a Panigale but haven't found an opportunity to borrow one yet haha. I briefly looked at 959's but they get lumped in the Heavyweight/B classes and would mostly be riding up into the Unlimited/A stuff and would get murdered by the liter bikes.

I think if we had better dirt options like you do out west I would definitely have my own dirtbike. Dirtbiking kind of sucks around here, the ATV/SxS people go out of their way to make sure that bikes aren't allowed on the trails. There are some 100+ mile trails where bikes are maybe allowed on 10-20 if at all.

Did you buy two different F450s? I really like my Megacab and Cummins a lot but I am a bit jealous

We put a deposit on ordering a 351m today. We are still kind of on the fence about what unit to get but I feel the 351m is all around the best way to go. The only thing I'm not super thrilled about is how expensive the damn thing is going to be. I was really wanting to stay close to $60k but that is completely out the window with a 351m. We are ordering kind of a weird options list so the dealer wanted extra money down lol.
    - No generator. The dealer owner was slightly confused but the salesmen and I talked a few minutes later and I explained why, he then says "yeah pretty much everyone says they need the generator and then they bring the unit in for service a year or more later and the Onan has 15 hours on it"). I love my rolling portable invertor generator too much.
    - Was going to get slide toppers but cancelled. They seem good in theory but I've seen too many YouTube videos where people complain they hold water or flap in the wind.
    - No patio package, I just don't think we'd use it enough for $3500ish dollars. I could care less about the electronic awning back there. Figured we can add the cables and fencing on later if we want. I definitely didn't want those damn 3 season doors. I can already tell I'd get frustrated with them and we'd use them maybe a few times a year.

Only wanted these few options:
    - Dual pane/frameless windows. The dealer owner was against this one the most, this was the one that made him say I wouldn't order an inventoried unit with them ever. I don't really care about the dual part but we have frameless windows on our Coachmen and while they don't flow as much air they look awesome and don't cause streaks to form after rain.
    - King Bed, our 60lbs goldendoodle has to sleep right in between us
    - Happi Jac, not sure why this is an option?
    - 8k axles with disc brakes, figured this would be nice to have bringing this big beast to a stop
    - It's a mandatory option but I'm really glad to see the Cooper H-rated tires coming on these things. Makes me feel like I don't need worry about a blowout for awhile.
    - Ordered a Pullrite Superglide to drop into the puck system

I really really wanted to get the Silver/Dark Charcoal full body paint but I just couldn't do it. If we were full-timing this thing for the next year, two or three maybe but since we'd building a house at some point I can't justify it. $10k is just way too much
    Last edited by LossPrev; 01-26-2021 at 05:47 PM.