User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 21BHE Battery Upgrade - Lead/Acid to Lithium

I just ordered 2021 Imagine 21BHE that should arrive in middle of march and I am already thinking of performing the battery upgrade. For now I am just thinking of replacing the Lead/Acid batteries that come with the unit with two BattleBorn 100Amp 12V Lithiums. Is it OK just to swap the batteries for now or do I need to replace some additional components. I understand that the 21BHE comes with WFCO WF-8735 power center that is not necessarily made for Lithium battery charging. I know they do have the WF-8735Lis available but I don't want to spend the money now if not necessary since in the future I planning solar upgrade and I think that this power center will get replaced anyway. For now the assumption is that I will charge from shore power only until solar upgrade. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2013 F150 FX4 SuperCrew 1200 PayLoad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you drop in Lithium's, you will be much happier upgrading the converter to a lithium capable converter. The lithium capable converter will ensure your Lithium are charged at the correct voltage consistently and in a timely fashion.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTravels View Post
    I just ordered 2021 Imagine 21BHE that should arrive in middle of march and I am already thinking of performing the battery upgrade. For now I am just thinking of replacing the Lead/Acid batteries that come with the unit with two BattleBorn 100Amp 12V Lithiums. Is it OK just to swap the batteries for now or do I need to replace some additional components. I understand that the 21BHE comes with WFCO WF-8735 power center that is not necessarily made for Lithium battery charging. I know they do have the WF-8735Lis available but I don't want to spend the money now if not necessary since in the future I planning solar upgrade and I think that this power center will get replaced anyway. For now the assumption is that I will charge from shore power only until solar upgrade. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Also looking to switch to lithium and trying to figure out the WFCO charger converter for my 22MLE. So far I don't have a price/availability for the 8735lis converter. Did you find one? Will post my findings. Thanks.
    Dennis & Lydia
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
    (Golf clubs as necessary)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRGinRC View Post
    Also looking to switch to lithium and trying to figure out the WFCO charger converter for my 22MLE. So far I don't have a price/availability for the 8735lis converter. Did you find one? Will post my findings. Thanks.
    No one seems to have it. I checked with my dealer and they don't have it in the system. At this point I am think that instead of replacing the whole power center I will just buy different brand converter and just swap the bottom part.
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTravels View Post
    No one seems to have it. I checked with my dealer and they don't have it in the system. At this point I am think that instead of replacing the whole power center I will just buy different brand converter and just swap the bottom part.
    I think the 22MLE factory installed WFCO 8735P has the converter "built-in" so I am curious how you would disable the built-in converter and install a stand-alone converter. On my 22MLE the converter and Water Heater are on the same breaker too. If you do swap out it out, please do a good write-up with lots of pics, as I am sure others like myself would be interested in the steps.

Billm321

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billm321 View Post
    I think the 22MLE factory installed WFCO 8735P has the converter "built-in" so I am curious how you would disable the built-in converter and install a stand-alone converter. On my 22MLE the converter and Water Heater are on the same breaker too. If you do swap out it out, please do a good write-up with lots of pics, as I am sure others like myself would be interested in the steps.

Billm321
    I will post something when I am done with it. Still waiting for my rig to arrive. One possible option is to replace WF-8xxx with different brand all together.
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found one option from Progressive Dynamic that might fit the opening. It has the higher current rating but I think it should be OK.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-PD4045KA.html
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning a battery upgrade on my 21BHE. Getting rid of stock provided led acid battery and replacing it with two lithium 100AH ones. Attached is my initial diagram on what I am planning to do. Any additional suggestions or corrections. Also I am not sure how the 7 Way Trailer Connector plays into the picture. Is the Aux 12V coming from the connector directly connected to existing battery or is it going through the panel. Thank youClick image for larger version. 

Name:	21BHE Battery Upgrade.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	32537
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your diagram. Looks good to me.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but here's info I have so far: WFCO has advised me that they have a direct replacement power center/charger - model #WF-8735PB-Lis that has a switch built in for lithium charging. Not sure if it is yet available but Camping World has quoted me $159 (w/membership); available in early April. I checked with Progressive Dynamics and they have a direct replacement - model #PD4135KW2BV , which is available at Leisuretime Distr. (ltdrvparts.com) for $149. Sounds like that one is a good option. I'll be making a decision very soon so I can get setup for the season.

I'm trying to decide whether to mount the lithium battery(s) on the tongue or inside the pass thru storage. I need to mount a solar connection so I can use my "suitcase" panels for charging. A solar connection would have been nice to have on these smaller models.
    Dennis & Lydia
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
    (Golf clubs as necessary)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Revisiting this thread to see if anyone has successfully resolved the built in converter issue with these WFCO power center/converter units? I've had my lithium batteries in my little 17MKE for a month now and they are staying fully charged from the solar but I can envision the day when I won't have full sun and need to charge via a generator or shore power and would certainly like a lithium rated converter/charger.

What I would really like to do is just disconnect the built in converter from the power center and wire in a stand alone PD lithium converter but next choice would be to replace the 8735 with either the WFCO lithium version (WF 8735 Lis) or the PD4135KW2BV.

So, has anyone actually done this upgrade yet?

TIA

Paul
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast