User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RV CB Radios

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Uniden permanently installed and always on. For the $100 I spent on it, it can be mildly entertaining. Other than that it has be really useful a handful of times. It turns out when something happens up ahead, the CB is faster than Google Maps, Waze or anything else. It's saved us getting tied up in traffic jams a few times, by getting the fast alert from some truckers and taking the next exit.
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of going down the rabbit hole we use GMRS when there is no cell service. I also use Ham Radio. GMRS is much better for general use or if you are caravanning with others as many people have them. They come in handheld or mobile format. Look at Midland mobile. UHF/VHF frequency ham radios also come in mobile or handheld formats. I have my handhelds programmed to receive GMRS, MURS, marine VHF and ham radio frequencies. The handhelds are Beofang and I have a 25 watt mobile and wire antenna mounted in an ammo can with a small 7ah battery and a 2 amp charger. I have gotten out 20 plus miles plus with that set up.

Note, off road guys are going GMRS more and more. Also note that mobile units with better antennas generally put out more power for longer range. I am a general class license holder but don’t want to get too technical.
    Last edited by Scramjet; 01-26-2021 at 08:05 PM.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had a CB in the truck (and Class A when I had them). They use to be a lot more useful and truckers would even talk to me once in a while (a long time ago).

Last week I ran up to Charlotte (from I95 near Cape Canaveral). Today we drove home. I pretty much turned the volume down both way - a lot. Seems mostly there is just useless chatter these days. But there is the occasional notice of an incident ahead and when in a traffic slow down there is some useful information there.

I use one of those CBs with everything on the mic (volume, squelch, channel selector, etc.) and a separate amplified speaker.

fwiw..... here is my Firestick antenna..... I made the mount and it bolts to a fender bolt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D6374EA-22B0-41B9-9856-7E7829C1BB7E.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	31798
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramjet View Post
    At the risk of going down the rabbit hole we use GMRS when there is no cell service. I also use Ham Radio. GMRS is much better for general use or if you are caravanning with others as many people have them. They come in handheld or mobile format. Look at Midland mobile. UHF/VHF frequency ham radios also come in mobile or handheld formats. I have my handhelds programmed to receive GMRS, MURS, marine VHF and ham radio frequencies. The handhelds are Beofang and I have a 25 watt mobile and wire antenna mounted in an ammo can with a small 7ah battery and a 2 amp charger. I have gotten out 20 plus miles plus with that set up.

Note, off road guys are going GMRS more and more. Also note that mobile units with better antennas generally put out more power for longer range. I am a general class license holder but don’t want to get too technical.
    I have wondered about a license for Ham radio and what it would take to get one. It would be a great tool in a grid-down scenario. I'll look into GMRS though -- I believe you need a license for that as well. -- Just trying to think ahead (and reading a prepper book I got for Christmas :-).
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    I have wondered about a license for Ham radio and what it would take to get one. It would be a great tool in a grid-down scenario. I'll look into GMRS though -- I believe you need a license for that as well. -- Just trying to think ahead (and reading a prepper book I got for Christmas :-).
    You do need a license for GMRS but there's no test afaik. It's a $70 fee that covers your entire household. Basically, they just want you to say that you read the rules and won't break them.
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    You do need a license for GMRS but there's no test afaik. It's a $70 fee that covers your entire household. Basically, they just want you to say that you read the rules and won't break them.
    OK now we're talking. :-) I always thought GMRS were just glorified walkie talkies...but now that I'm looking, these are way more powerful than CB radios. 50 watts?? 36+ mile range? wow

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT10.../dp/B013QIFCLE
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RDM9LMM

Are there any recommended brands and features to look for in these radios? I think these would be the ticket with a good antenna, over the 4w CB radios.
    Last edited by bryancass; 01-27-2021 at 09:27 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bryancass I'll quibble with a couple of assertions above that GMRS provides better range than CB. While other assertions about wider usage (more people have them) are true, they do not typically have better range and can have more-limited range than CB.

GMRS radios in the U.S. offer five watts of power (in Canada they are limited to TWO watts!) while CB radios offer four watts. The difference is almost completely insignificant in terms of performance and range.

Further, GMRS operates on higher frequencies that are more prone to degradation by obstacles so on anything but flat ground / water a GMRS radio might not have range even as good as a CB.

Finally, while there are mobile GMRS radios the vast majority of them out there are handhelds. They suffer from the same compromised-antenna limitations as other handheld radios, and it's frequently not possible to easily connect GMRS radios to better mobile antennas.

So don't buy GMRS expecting you'll get better range - with a handheld you'll often find range limited to a mile or two. Maybe buy GMRS because there are lots more of them around (although that sometimes means their channels are busier/noisier) and because their FM modulation gives them quieter reception (less of the hiss and white noise found on AM/CB).

You do need a license to use GMRS in the U.S. but it's just a simple application and fee, no study required.

Getting your amateur radio license is not a trifle. It usually requires weeks of study of many technical and legal aspects of radio transmission and then a written examination. However the amateur license legalizes your use of much more powerful radios and the studying gives you the knowledge to get the most from them. You may also enjoy radio as a hobby and not just an emergency/survival tool.

There's lots of information at the link below about getting an amateur license, but it's usually best to search the web for local amateurs and their club to get information and support to make the education and test less-daunting.

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-27-2021 at 09:27 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @bryancass I'll quibble with a couple of assertions above that GMRS provides better range than CB. While other assertions about wider usage (more people have them) are true, they do not typically have better range and can have more-limited range than CB.

GMRS radios in the U.S. offer five watts of power (in Canada they are limited to TWO watts!) while CB radios offer four watts. The difference is almost completely insignificant in terms of performance and range.

Further, GMRS operates on higher frequencies that are more prone to degradation by obstacles so on anything but flat ground / water a GMRS radio might not have range even as good as a CB.

Finally, while there are mobile GMRS radios the vast majority of them out there are handhelds. They suffer from the same compromised-antenna limitations as other handheld radios, and it's frequently not possible to easily connect GMRS radios to better mobile antennas.

So don't buy GMRS expecting you'll get better range - with a handheld you'll often find range limited to a mile or two. Maybe buy GMRS because there are lots more of them around (although that sometimes means their channels are busier/noisier) and because their FM modulation gives them quieter reception (less of the hiss and white noise found on AM/CB).

You do need a license to use GMRS in the U.S. but it's just a simple application and fee, no study required.

Getting your amateur radio license is not a trifle. It usually requires weeks of study of many technical and legal aspects of radio transmission and then a written examination. However the amateur license legalizes your use of much more powerful radios and the studying gives you the knowledge to get the most from them. You may also enjoy radio as a hobby and not just an emergency/survival tool.

There's lots of information at the link below about getting an amateur license, but it's usually best to search the web for local amateurs and their club to get information and support to make the education and test less-daunting.

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

Thanks for the link, I will check that out. Radio has always interested me (I was a Boy Scout too and wondered about that merit badge), and maybe it would be a good 'retirement' hobby.

Regarding GMRS, you mentioned only 5 watts... but what am I seeing here at 50w? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RDM9LMM
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, I will check that out. Radio has always interested me (I was a Boy Scout too and wondered about that merit badge), and maybe it would be a good 'retirement' hobby.

Regarding GMRS, you mentioned only 5 watts... but what am I seeing here at 50w? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RDM9LMM
    It's a mobile, not nearly so common as the handheld ones. The mobile would certainly provide longer range than those and CB radios, similar to mobile UHF ham radios, but they're called "two-way" radios because most people use them to both talk and listen. The mobile will get your communication out further but if people hearing you are using the much-more-common handhelds you may not be able to hear them.

I thought you said you were inclined to getting a handheld - did I get that wrong?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many handhelds actually put out as little as .5 watts. The Ham handhelds typically put out about 4-5 watts. The GMRS Midland mobile units go from 15 to 40 watts and come with much better antennas. Handhelds are the ones that look like walky talkies. Mobile radios mount in your car (or whatever) and run off of 12v.

I found that the ham test was fairly easy now that morse code is not required. It does take some study time but not difficult.

Range is a difficult thing to pin down. CB radios are AM transmissions and do bounce and can give you a better range around obstacles. GMRS radios are more line of sight radios but with good power and a good antenna you can get quite a long range. The handheld bubble pack radios that say 36 miles are wildly optimistic. Under normal conditions 1 to 2 miles is typical.

One of the best prepper books is the ultimate preppers guide by Rawles. You’ll discover it is not just communications that is important. You need to also cover self-defense food storage water and medical at a minimum. You could really go down the rabbit hole on this one.
    Last edited by Scramjet; 01-27-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast