User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point Hitch and Ford Trailer Backup Assist

Any owners here of a 2020/21 Super Duty and a Reflection 150 Series with the Turning Point Hitch....

Curious if anyone has successfully configured and successfully used the Trailer Backup Assist 5th wheel sensor with the Turning Point hitch active? Thanks!

btw - looking for owner feedback on if this is working for anyone.... we can skip the debate for now on backing up the traditional way vs using pro backup assist : )
    Last edited by Buckslivin; 01-26-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.....I am about to install the FORD Pro backup assist 5th wheel sensor. I have the 'live' Turning point hitch and there really is no place to mount the sensor that is 'stationary' on that hitch. So my debate with myself is do I attach it on the portion of the pin box that travels the least (near the pivot point).....or mount it more to the front of the pin box up near the pin. I welcome your advice. I'm just waiting on the 7/12 plug that I'm missing and then I'll test it out. Would value your advice. Thanks.....Dave
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    Tow Vehicle 2020 Ford F-250 FX4 6.2L
    PULLIT 5th Wheel Hitch
    Home Base Hobe Sound FL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my 7/12 connector for the 5th wheel sensor arrives tomorrow. A question for you.....if I watch the 5th wheel sensor placement in Ford videos it shows it being mounted vertically on an portion of a trailer front end. Have you given any thought to my question below as far as placing the sensor more near the front by the pin or....further back where the pin box pivots on extreme turns.....any input would be gratefully appreciated..
    PULLIT 5th Wheel Hitch
    Home Base Hobe Sound FL

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to put it on a non pivoting portion of the trailer. It must remain the same orientation as the trailer at all times or it will not work. The yaw sensor detects the swing in the trailer so if it's in a spot that is at a different orientation of the trailer you will likely have incorrect operation, worse being a failure if the anti trailer sway kicks in and falsely corrects it.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha!......Got it....thanks...
    PULLIT 5th Wheel Hitch
    Home Base Hobe Sound FL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobe320 View Post
    So my 7/12 connector for the 5th wheel sensor arrives tomorrow. A question for you.....if I watch the 5th wheel sensor placement in Ford videos it shows it being mounted vertically on an portion of a trailer front end. Have you given any thought to my question below as far as placing the sensor more near the front by the pin or....further back where the pin box pivots on extreme turns.....any input would be gratefully appreciated..
    Ford Backup Assist with 5th wheel

Hi Everyone/Anyone...... I successfully procured all the correct components and installed same in my 2020 F-250 and on my GD 5th wheel. For those of you interested in Fords' Backup Assist installation/use on a 5th wheel I'll provide a list of the components and 'tips' to help you below.

#1 . You'll need is the 5th wheel sensor kit. It comes with the sensor, a sensor mounting bracket, a mounting bracket for plug storage when not in use and two sets/sizes of "zip" ties for securing the sensor and routing the cable/plug harness and the cable. IF your truck has the 'PRO TRLR BACKUP AST' option you might find this kit under your rear seat if not, you'll have to purchase it, like me and that is Ford Part number LC3T-14G621-AD. You'll know you have the Ford BU assist installed if you have the "dial" on your dash for 'steering' while in use.

#2 . I didn't have the receptacle/plug in my bumper to accept the sensor cable/plug so I had to replace the 7/4 plug assembly with the proper 7/12 plug assembly that is Ford Part number HU5Z-14489-B. ***Note...whenever I went to purchase the HU5Z... plug at various websites, the website would ask for my VIN to insure compatibility and it would say that HU5Z... assembly was wrong for my 2020 F250. I finally had to verbally tell someone "just send it to me, I don't care what the configurator says".

#3 . After removing the existing plug assembly and installing the new plug assembly the next challenge was "where to plug it in". I searched all around and finally found when I lowered my spare tire there was a connector with a "dummy" plug in it and an ample length of sheathed cable tie wrapped above the spare. Clip the zip tie, removed the dummy plug and it fit perfectly in the lower 12 pin backside of the new plug receptacle in the bumper.

#4 . Mounting the sensor. The sensor has to be mounted in a vertical position somewhere that moves the same way your 5th wheel does when turning. I have the Turning Point Pin Box by Trailair that swivels as needed when turning the RV. So I could not mount the sensor on my pin box. If your pin box is stationary/fixed you probably can mount the sensor anywhere that 'moves' as the trailer body moves. In my case I mounted my sensor under the 'garage' on the front of my GD on the vertical surface of the box that holds my house battery. The sensor has 'self stick' tape on it and for added security I zip tied the sensor around the battery box. There's plenty of extra cable left for turning extremes and it's "out of view" from prying eyes.

#5 . Configuring the trailer was a breeze. I went to a large parking lot. After plugging everything in and pressing the center button on the turning dial I configured "Trailer A". I answered a few questions re. the type, etc.. when completed the 'screen dialogue' had me pull forward for a bit of time, then turn left or right...and afterwards it said "Complete". You can configure multiple trailers, A, B, C etc... and it will retain the characteristic of each trailer definition. Then I started to try this 'backup assist' option out. It worked extremely well keeping the trailer straight line as we backed up a few hundred feet. It took a little trial and error for me to learn how this thing was going to help me. In brief....turn the dial where you want the trailer to go, release the knob and truck immediately goes to 'straight line'.....need more turning? turn the knob again...it turns more, release again...and so on.

I know purists will say, you need to be able to do this without that kind of 'new fancy whatchamacallit contraption'. I agree...to a point. I also am an advocate of taking advantage of technology when it's available.

Hope this helps you out, if you've been frustrated by vague documentation, dealers' lack of know how or whatever. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.
    PULLIT 5th Wheel Hitch
    Home Base Hobe Sound FL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you need to have the factory setup for for Pro trlr backup asst? I was told it was not on Super Duty. When I bought my F350 it was only 1 of 2 in the area. I have the turning point hitch but do not believe it is “live” and not sure it will function with the Companion hitch. Lots of questions when I get back to the GD dealer. Short bed 2021 F35 FX4

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    I was told it was not on Super Duty.
    It was available starting with the 2020 model year. Mine has it and I use it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 F250 amassed the components and it works like I said. It’s a great “aid”. PM me with any questions. Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this detailed response! I too have a 2020 F-250 and was disappointed to learn that the backup assist would not work with my 5th wheel. Can you share the total cost for the kit(s)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast