Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle questions to ask / answer

Team,
    Very similar threads on here - i get it - but needing some very specific help - I'm somewhat boxed in on the vehicle i own - F250 KR - Diesel - short bed - I have yet to pull the trigger on a fifth wheel, but strongly leaning into the GD Solitude 310- Factory Hitch Rating 2350#, GVWR #15 ,000 on 5'er. Sites are saying use generally 20% of this which equals #3 ,000 on the hitch. My GAWR on drive hitch is #6 340 , My drive axel weight from CAT certified scale was #3 ,220, So the math of 3,000 + 3220 = #6 ,220 which is right at my GAWR of #6 340 - allowing no extra for passengers and/or truck gear - Am i looking at this correctly????

Is the result that the 310 Solitude is too much for a F250 and that i need to jump back down to either the Reflection series or Reflection 150 series which have much more favorable math?

What are the right questions to ask the GD dealer to make sure i'm within specs, or at least can comfortably pull ??? For many reasons - I don't have option of going to 350 / dually - HELP PLEASE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a picture of your door tag for us. What year is truck?
    My 2018 is maxed out with my 27RL. I know if I want a larger 5er than I need to change my truck.
    I bought my GD knowing I’m not getting anything bigger, it’s perfect for our needs and wants.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude 310 is too much trailer for a 3/4-ton truck. Period. Loaded, a 310 will put 3,300 lbs. or more (use 23% of GVWR for non-toy haulers) on the pin. For an F250 diesel (less payload than a gasser because of the weight of the motor and drivetrain), look for a fifth wheel with a GVWR in the 12,000 lb. range. One way to back into it is take your CAT scale weight, add 200 lbs. for a hitch (or 50 lbs. for an Andersen Ultimate), and subtract that from the GVWR on the truck's door sticker. Multiply the number you get by four and look for a fifth wheel with a GVWR equal to or less than the product of those calculations.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on feedback from multiple Solitude 310GK owners, your actual pin weight will be around 3,200-3,300lbs depending of course on how you load it. So, you will definitely be exceeding the payload rating of your truck. But, I'd say 75% of the people pulling RV's are exceeding their tow vehicle payload rating. If that matters to you, get a lighter 5th wheel. If it doesn't matter, get the 310GK and don't worry about it. There are many people who feel the F-250 is identical in all respects to the F-350.

One thing I would NOT recommend doing is asking your dealer about it. Highly unlikely they will have any idea what you're talking about. My dealer only cared about the tow rating. I told him the tow rating is the one rating that doesn't matter as all modern trucks are rated for crazy high towing number. Payload is always the limiting factor.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Take a picture of your door tag for us. What year is truck?
    My 2018 is maxed out with my 27RL. I know if I want a larger 5er than I need to change my truck.
    I bought my GD knowing I’m not getting anything bigger, it’s perfect for our needs and wants.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck Info.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	31789

here is the sticker info on the truck - It is a 2020 F250 King Ranch
    Last edited by DBISS7; 01-26-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The Solitude 310 is too much trailer for a 3/4-ton truck. Period. Loaded, a 310 will put 3,300 lbs. or more (use 23% of GVWR for non-toy haulers) on the pin. For an F250 diesel (less payload than a gasser because of the weight of the motor and drivetrain), look for a fifth wheel with a GVWR in the 12,000 lb. range. One way to back into it is take your CAT scale weight, add 200 lbs. for a hitch (or 50 lbs. for an Andersen Ultimate), and subtract that from the GVWR on the truck's door sticker. Multiply the number you get by four and look for a fifth wheel with a GVWR equal to or less than the product of those calculations.

Rob
    Thank you for your input - is there any suspension upgrade / any upgrade that could make the F250 super duty capable for the Sol 310 -

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBISS7 View Post
    Thank you for your input - is there any suspension upgrade / any upgrade that could make the F250 super duty capable for the Sol 310 -
    That truck, with a 10,000 lb GVWR is likely to only have around 2100 lbs of payload capacity. And one of the previous poster was wanting you to post a picture of is the other sticker over on the driver side door post. It too will be a white sticker, but there will be some yellow highlighted areas on it. On the upper right side of the sticker will be your payload capacity for the truck....post that up if you can.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBISS7 View Post
    Two answers:

1) There is nothing you can do as an owner (aftermarket) that will change the numbers on the door sticker. That's a legal thing.

2) With late-model trucks, there is less and less difference between similarly optioned 3/4- and 1-ton trucks (single rear wheel). Depending on brand, the 1-ton may have larger brake rotors and will likely have an additional spring leaf in the rear.

You will find a number of folks who will tell you, "Heck - just put a set of air bags on it and have fun!" I'm not in that group. In my opinion (and everyone has one), not all 1-ton single rear wheel trucks would be a good fit for a loaded 310GK. A King Ranch diesel is as heavy as a truck gets to start with, leaving you the least leftover payload. I would not pull a 310GK with your truck - but again, that's just my opinion. You can keep asking the same question different ways until you find someone who will tell you to go ahead, but the safety of you and your family is the most important aspect of this discussion.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Two answers:

1) There is nothing you can do as an owner (aftermarket) that will change the numbers on the door sticker. That's a legal thing.

2) With late-model trucks, there is less and less difference between similarly optioned 3/4- and 1-ton trucks (single rear wheel). Depending on brand, the 1-ton may have larger brake rotors and will likely have an additional spring leaf in the rear.

You will find a number of folks who will tell you, "Heck - just put a set of air bags on it and have fun!" I'm not in that group. In my opinion (and everyone has one), not all 1-ton single rear wheel trucks would be a good fit for a loaded 310GK. A King Ranch diesel is as heavy as a truck gets to start with, leaving you the least leftover payload. I would not pull a 310GK with your truck - but again, that's just my opinion. You can keep asking the same question different ways until you find someone who will tell you to go ahead, but the safety of you and your family is the most important aspect of this discussion.

Rob
    Rob - in my line of work - i tell all my crew - all you can do is deal in reality - but also know there's sometimes reason to ask a question twice - I greatly appreciate your insight and knowledge - Reality is important as is safety, not only for me and my family - but for others around me traveling down the road - thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I would NOT recommend doing is asking your dealer about it. Highly unlikely they will have any idea what you're talking about.
    Reminds me of when we were at the Hershey show a couple years ago. The dealer representing GD was absolutely certain an F250 was adequate for a 310. Fortunately I learned a lot more from the good folks of this forum and am very happy with our setup.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast