User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mackinac Island and vicinity

What's the best time of year to visit the upper part of Michigan? We were at Mackinac Island about 35 years ago and the mosquitoes and black flies was unbelievable. I think it was in June. This year I would like to go back mid to late May. Any comments on the best time and some campground recommendations would be appreciated. I'd like to stay south of the bridge somewhere.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We went this past October. Pretty blustery, high wind day, but no bugs. Did have to wear the moderate heavy coat, stocking cap, and gloves for a bike ride around the island. We stayed at the KOA. It's about 2 blocks from the local paved bike trail that is an easy, short ride to the ferries. If you buy the tickets there at the KOA, there is also a free shuttle for you (and your bikes, if you have) to take you the ferry. Of course, the weeks before and after were perfect weather. Leaves were at their peak color. Not at all crowded. Reduced services due to COVID, but many things still running.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're from MICH. and what we have found to be the best bug free time is anything after labor day. It's almost like someone pulled a switch getting rid of them. There is a state campground (Wilderness) just west of Mackinaw city but they're making improvements and will be closed for 2021 season. Kids are gone by that time too cutting down on the congestion.

Explore The state park site, plenty of camping opportunity in the area including some spacious NFS campgrounds.

It might be to late to find a spot in Late May if you are there during Memorial Day weekend, sites book up fast and the State park system reserves 6 mos out and does not hold any spots for transient campers any more
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 02-01-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also from MI and have been around Mackinaw the last 2 years in late Sept and mid Oct. No problems with bugs either time. The downside is its possible to get snow once in a while that time of year but beats the crowds and bugs.

Wilderness State Park is worth a look as is Aloha State Park and South Higgins Lake.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sept and Oct are already taken and I need to go up late May or June. Guess I will just have to put up with the insects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second this, from a Northern Michigander! The days following Labor day are my favorite time of summer. Tourists are home with kids back in school, Lake Michigan is warm enough to swim, cooler nights for bonfires and good sleeping. Make your way to Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City for gorgeous views, wineries, and breweries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lived in Michigan all of our 60 years. End of May is an excellent time to visit the island for a couple of reasons. In a normal year, the kids are still in school and many campgrounds are empty during the week. Secondly, Lilacs are in bloom and there is even a festival on the island celebrating them.(June 4)

Regarding campgrounds, there are many but I have three favorite depending on what you are seeking. In no particular order, you have Wilderness State Park, Straits State Park, and Mill Creek. Wilderness does have a few full hookups but you need to make reservations early. Also, there is the Headlands International Dark Sky Park next door. Straits State Park is actually on the north side of the bridge in St. Ignace. It has some premier sites on the water with outstanding views of the bridge, but no full hookups. On the south side of the bridge there is Mill creek. It is family owned, modern and huge. Many large sites, mostly full hookups and excellent views of the bridge. They also have a pool, but temperatures in May might make this questionable.

Michigan has an excellent reservation system for State Parks. Sites are available 6 months ahead, I recommend you look today if your seeking weekend accommodations. https://www.midnrreservations.com

If you want more information regarding the Island, do not hesitate to ask. You can take Ferry boats from either side of the bridge. I prefer St. Ignace as it tends to be less crowded. You still get a great view of the bridge, and a better view of the Grand Hotel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the few weeks following labor day would be nice. Mid-May might still be pretty cold, particularly out on Mackinac Island. Petoskey, MI is about 35-40 mins from the bridge and is a great place to stay. The State Park there might be a little tight for your rig, but the Petoskey KOA is nice but typical KOA. There is also a Sun RV Resort over on the west side of Petoskey by the yuppie yacht club. Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Charlevoix are all great places to visit and lots to do. The breeze there also keeps the bugs away.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    What's the best time of year to visit the upper part of Michigan? We were at Mackinac Island about 35 years ago and the mosquitoes and black flies was unbelievable. I think it was in June. This year I would like to go back mid to late May. Any comments on the best time and some campground recommendations would be appreciated. I'd like to stay south of the bridge somewhere.
    Just received my Michigan RV and Campgrounds magazine.
    It is a wealth of information as Alice and I plan a trip to the Mackinaw area fall of 2021.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.

MichiganRVandCampgrounds.org
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited