User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Originally Seattle Area, Winter in Apache Junction and travel in our Solitude in the Summer!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippert Axle/brake Components

Around 10000 miles on our 369RL never greased didn't need to with that little mileage. Well today I had Mechanic come out to replace with Forward Self Adjusting brakes and here is what we found. 2 of the four wheels had leaking grease seals and the inside of the drum and brakes were coated. 1 of the magnets was loose and laying on the bottom of the drum. All 4 of the castle nuts were loose with no preload on the bearing. Needless to say this is not a Grand Design issue but is a Lippert Component Inc responsibility. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA as There are several other GD owners that have had the same issues with leaking grease seals. The NHTSA also wrote a letter in April 2014 to Lippert for the same issue but on another brand of trailer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150321_072222.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150321_072511.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	1660
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Randy & Peggy Larson
    2014 369RL #716
    2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Powerstroke
    All of these States and Provinces in 2 years. Love our Solitude!!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is pretty common in the industry, also on Dexter axles.

A lot of times it was because grease was forced into the "easy lube" fitting and never packed into the bearings correctly.

Should actually be Lippert warranty covered item if it was the seal failure.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

scott42blue
    My wife picked this up on GD facebook and asked me about it. Looked like a case of owner over greasing to me. I learned the hard way years ago and had to replace 6 seals and 12 brake shoes. Magnets loose ( no idea ) . Axle nut adjustment is done at the same time as yearly brake adjustment and very easy to pick up on. If wheel is lose unloaded check it. Brake shoes should grind slightly.
    I have several 16,000 equipment trailers that have not need service in 10 years other than brake adjustment. It is a very simple proven design that requires almost no servicing .
    Boat trailers are a different story.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 of 4 on mine had leaking grease seals, on the one that wasn't leaking the magnet was pinching the wire and wasn't working anyways
    John & Caren
    2014 Solitude 369RL #331
    2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Cummins & manual 6 speed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After reading quite a few complaints about this on RV.net, there were quite a few suggested theories on how this happens. In many cases, the owners have never used the Zerk fittings to inject grease into the bearings. One theory was that the grease seals are defective. Another was that the delivery drivers may be greasing the fittings before they take off. In my case, all four seals failed, and I never injected any grease. I contacted GD, and they paid to replace the seals and the brakes.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never happy with the brake performance on my 303 so I investigated the problem a couple weeks ago. What I found was that all four drums had grease inside, to varying degrees. Mine looked pretty much like the pictures we have seen on this site and others. One wasn't too bad, two were bad and the third was really bad. The seals on the three worst ones were not seated in the hub properly, which may or may not have been a factor. I had never added any grease and there did not seem to be an excessive amount inside the hub. I cleaned all of the hubs, bearings, etc., completely removing all traces of the original grease, then repacked and re-greased everything with good quality grease (Sta-Lube Marine grease). I of course replaced all of the seals and seated them properly. I have not been able to test the brakes yet, but all *should* be well now. My brake shoes were in good shape and not contaminated with grease, and I thoroughly cleaned all of the magnets since they were covered with grease. If I find that my brake performance is still not up to par after testing I will replace the magnets and shoes. I felt like they were well cleaned and should be fine. Just wanted to relate my experience since it seems to be an ongoing problem for others.
    Joel & Amber
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 3500 Diesel SRW, 4X4 Tradesman

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One issue is that not all Grand Design trailers have self adjusting brakes. It should be mandatory that travel trailers and fifth wheels be equipped with self adjusting electric brakes.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Bamaman . . . self adjusting brakes became common place in the 60s on cars and trucks. Why are RVs using 50 year old technology ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

scott42blue
    I may have been wrong about over greasing. It seems like several people have had this problem, concerns me enough to pull apart 2014 with few miles to inspect it. Does anyone have a updated Lippert part # for new seal that fixes problem ? I also buy into delivery drivers injecting to much grease into hubs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I really wanted to do was install a disc brake system but the cost was just more than I wanted to spend right now, and probably overkill. But it would be cool.
    Joel & Amber
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 3500 Diesel SRW, 4X4 Tradesman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast