User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlakes, D-Load & L-Speed

We just took possession of a new 2400BH, and it came with L-speed-rates Westlakes. I've read the many posts about Westlake blowouts with horror, and want to be proactive about replacing them. It does seem like some people that experienced blowouts had D-speed-rated versions. How much of a difference does the speed rating (vs the load rating) make here?

Related question: How does one find a place that changes trailer tires? Just call regular tire places until you find one? I'm looking in the Lake Charles, LA area if anyone has a recommendation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post
    We just took possession of a new 2400BH, and it came with L-speed-rates Westlakes. I've read the many posts about Westlake blowouts with horror, and want to be proactive about replacing them. It does seem like some people that experienced blowouts had D-speed-rated versions. How much of a difference does the speed rating (vs the load rating) make here?

Related question: How does one find a place that changes trailer tires? Just call regular tire places until you find one? I'm looking in the Lake Charles, LA area if anyone has a recommendation.
    I think most people have had blowouts recently due to the tire inadequate for the weight it needs to carry and not keeping tires inflated properly. I would recommend a TPMS for sure so that you can tell if you have a tire losing pressure and then also check pressure each morning prior to travel.

Speed rating is independent of load rating. L speed rating will give you a 75MPH maximum speed.

Both speed, load rating, tire loading and inflation all make a difference to a tire blowout.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most makes of tires in your size would have a similar rating of 2,150-lb maximum load at 65 psi. Not really much more than the GVWR of the trailer. Moving to 225/75r15 load range E would give a 2830# load rating. Note I gave an increased tire size because finding 205/75/15 in the higher load range is about impossible. Also consider the load rating of the wheels. Speed ratings have gone up in recent years as manufacturers finally build trailer tires that can withstand the heat and flexing of travel. Honestly I wouldn't want to test these ratings for any length of time and I just move along at 65 mph on the highway. I have had good experience with Carlisle Radial Trail HD and found aftermarket 5 lug wheels with a similar rating. I speak from experience as I had issue with my previous TT that was a similar weight and GVWR as yours and the same size tires that blew out in an evasive move.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I'm being careful to check pressures before we depart, but I'll keep replacement high on the improvement list.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my personnel experience; get USA made Goodyear Endurance tires ASAP. There is no rhyme nor reason why some of Westlake tires blow but they do blow. The tires were just over 3 years old from mfg date when I had one blow on busy Interstate 85 outside Atlanta. Before each trip I always check tire pressure and have TPMS. When tire alarm went off I pulled over immediately; the Westlake tire just blew; didn't gradually lose pressure - it blew. Lost fender skirt and had slight damage to rim. Would have been much worse if I did not have TPMS to let me know the very second the tire blew. When we got to campground switched all tires including spare to Goodyear Endurance.

Trust me; you do not want to be changing a camper tire on side of busy highway - thank God for GA Highway Hero Unit with their big flashing lights, may have saved my life.

http://www.tiretraker.com/
    Last edited by Buckskin; 02-01-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    From my personnel experience; get USA made Goodyear Endurance tires ASAP. There is no rhyme nor reason why some of Westlake tires blow but they do blow. The tires were just over 3 years old from mfg date when I had one blow on busy Interstate 85 outside Atlanta. Before each trip I always check tire pressure and have TPMS. When tire alarm went off I pulled over immediately; the Westlake tire just blew; didn't gradually lose pressure - it blew. Lost fender skirt and had slight damage to rim. Would have been much worse if I did not have TPMS to let me know the very second the tire blew. When we got to campground switched all tires including spare to Goodyear Endurance.

Trust me; you do not want to be changing a camper tire on side of busy highway - thank God for GA Highway Hero Unit with their big flashing lights, may have saved my life.

http://www.tiretraker.com/
    Still like that tiretraker tpms system? Thinking of picking one up before camping season starts.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put 18 months and 7500 miles on my west lakes. I had one wore down from a sagged axle so I bit the bullet and just bought four new Endurance. You can feel the quality difference. The Westlakes sidewalls are flimsy compared to GYs. The GYs weigh about 6lbs more per tire. I’m a believer.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings