Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Wander View Post
    Hi All,

First post here, I've searched the forum and even called eTrailer, but haven't been able to find out the following:

The Details:
    We purchased a 21 Silverado 3500HD, standard bed with the OEM puck system. It is in transit, so for the purposes of this conversation I estimated a 3800 pound payload capacity, it is a 12,100 GVW with the full trailer towing package. IMO, total weight it can tow I think is 20,000 lbs?) is not really relevant due to payload (please be gentle if you don't agree). I read on e-trailer that the pucks on teh 2021's were moved back about 2 inches from the 2020's. Can anyone confirm or deny? Does that give us enough space?

The fifth wheel (our first) is a 21 GD Reflection 310RLS.
    Actual PIN 9,849 Dry (per sticker on trailer)
    Total GVW 12,495

Now for the questions:
    1) What is the best hitch system to use with this set up?
    I really wanted to go with a Goosebox (I was raised on a farm and understand gooseneck trailers) but it looks like we wont have clearance if we do. Is anyone successfully using this?
    (why I like the idea - Clean bed, no heavy hitch to move around)

Failing that, if we have to go with a sliding hitch which one do you use and why?
    How heavy is it?
    How noisy is it? (nothing like having something squeal and grown towing it at slow speed through the RV park - our first weight distributing hitch sounded like we were towing a half dead cow behind us. It was really, really bad)
    Ride?
    Chucking?

Anderson Hitches - looked at those, but the failures are a significant concern. We are generally not bound to paved rounds and have been known to take the TT down forest service roads. We want something that will not fail, period. BUT, it needs to have the articulation so it doesn't stress the frame of the trailer, the hitch or the truck.

2) I keep staring at the payload of the trailer and trying to figure out how we could put that much stuff in it. The listed payload is roughly 2400 pounds (I rounded down). The reason I am asking is that we would like to take this thing boondocking here and there and having the ability to tow it comfortably with the truck when loaded is important.
    Based on my calcs we are at about 50% of payload running dry.
    Fully loaded - we are running about 67% of payload (leaves me with roughly 1,350 pounds in the truck - hence a lighter weight hitch).
    Generally speaking, there will only be two adults (my husband and I), the dog (50 pounds), the cat, the generator and fuel in the truck. We also may put luggage up there, but with the space in the new trailer, most likely not. (we are moving up from a 22ft TT)

Any feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Kathy
    How are you liking you Sidewinder? I currently have a Demco autoslider and it has worked great for me but its very heavy and takes up a lot of room in the bed. Thinking about getting the Sidewinder. Did you get the one with the airbag?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    How are you liking you Sidewinder? I currently have a Demco autoslider and it has worked great for me but its very heavy and takes up a lot of room in the bed. Thinking about getting the Sidewinder. Did you get the one with the airbag?
    I have a Sidewinder on my trailer, without the airbag. It works great, and with how I need to put my trailer in my driveway, a sliding hitch, or the Sidewinder is the only way to not hit my truck (RAM shortbed). As far as weight, I am not sure you would lose any weight going from the Demco. The Sidewinder (20K lb), if I recall right, is about 180 lbs., and you need a regular hitch in your truck, which you are talking at least another 100 lbs+, which puts the setup just as heavy. I don't mind, as my trailer is light in the front, so the heavy pin box helps me.

I have put a little over 7K miles on the setup. If I was to do it again, I would get the airbag version, as any rigid setup transmits everything from the trailer to the truck. It does have a cushion under the pivot point, but doubt it does much.

Just to add, you can not use any hitch that uses a gooseball setup. The hitch has to use the truck puck system, or rails, to make sure the hitch can not twist.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 10-04-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

New here as my wife and I just purchased a 2019 337rls. We are going from a Cyclone toy hauler and a 16 GMC Denali CCDW to a 22 3500 CCSB High Country. I have been struggling with the hitch options as there are so many but I love the idea of the Gen Y or Goosebox. Main concern is what the cab clearance / turning angle will be. I have been towing trailers of all kinds for many years and am not worried about full 90 degree just curious. Thank You

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RETFIREMAN View Post
    Hello,

New here as my wife and I just purchased a 2019 337rls. We are going from a Cyclone toy hauler and a 16 GMC Denali CCDW to a 22 3500 CCSB High Country. I have been struggling with the hitch options as there are so many but I love the idea of the Gen Y or Goosebox. Main concern is what the cab clearance / turning angle will be. I have been towing trailers of all kinds for many years and am not worried about full 90 degree just curious. Thank You

During my adventures i've talked to several that have the goose box and i have never heard anything negative about it. They all love the ride and most of them had a longbed. You will still have clearance issues with a goose box. I've been in situations out west that I had to make 90 degree turns so i will always have a sidewinder or a slider hitch. If your not worried about 90 degree turns then its a good upgrade. There are several youtube videos on the goosebox. Congrats on the 337, i have one too and love it. Lots of storage and easy to tow. I'm gonna keep it for a while until my wife retires then we will probably upgrade to a drop frame. Been looking at the 346 and like it a lot, but the hitch weight is 3000lbs!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I can't speak for the Goosebox and bedrail clearance. When GM re-designed their trucks in 2020 the beds were longer and taller. Gen Y listened to their customers and re-designed the 5th wheel to gooseneck conversion. I have close to 7" of bedrail clearance and I have had no cab clearance issues. Using it for a year, I have been happy with the Gen Y.
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    Gen Y 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Conversion

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies,

SmokeyBear, is your GMC a std bed or long bed ? the Gen Y looks nice and appears to get many good reviews. thanks again

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SmokeyBear, is your GMC a std bed or long bed ? the Gen Y looks nice and appears to get many good reviews. Did you have the squeaky issue during break-in that some talk about ? thanks again

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thread...
    We have a little heavier trailer with a GVW of 16,800#
    The dry hitch/ULW ratio is closer to 20%
    So estimating a full GVW we would be at 3314 # pin weight

With the upgraded spring leaf package replacement we have a Payload Capacity of 4,400#
    Since we are just my wife and I and the dog (450#), plus fuel (280 #), plus stuff in the truck (est. 100 # as we will load the rear of the trailer 351MS with stuff we don't need in the cab). Add 280# for the B&W RVK3370 hitch. We would be at 3314 + 450 + 280 + 100 + 280 = 4,424 #. Approx. of course.

Anyone else with a Momentum 351MS or similar can verify?
    Last edited by Pacsteel; 02-06-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

There is no such thing as best hitch (or "best" anything for that matter). It's very personal and subjective. For example, I LOVE the Hensley Trailersaver airbag hitches and won't use anything else. It makes for a super smooth ride in the truck and also protects the RV because of how it absorbs shock. But, they are more expensive than most other hitches and I'm just about the only person on the forum that has one so my opinion doesn't mean much.
    I may end up being the second one on the forum with a Hensley, but it looks like it takes a BD5 to have the puck system?
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SmokeyBear, is your GMC a std bed or long bed ? the Gen Y looks nice and appears to get many good reviews. Did you have the squeaky issue during break-in that some talk about ? thanks again
    I have the standard bed....
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    Gen Y 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Conversion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast