User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting on my 23bhe!!

Hi everyone! I’m new to the Grand Design family, but not to RVing in general. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the waste pump under the kitchen sink…Any issues thus far? It’s making me a little nervous. Thanks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No? Ok then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reading15 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the waste pump under the kitchen sink…Any issues thus far?
    What exactly is this waste pump?
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evidently there’s a pump under the kitchen sink for the gray water… I’ve never heard of anything like this before, and it’s making me a little bit nervous.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    What exactly is this waste pump?
    There is a pump under the kitchen sink that pumps out the gray water into the gray tank for the kitchen…

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reading15 View Post
    Hi everyone! I’m new to the Grand Design family, but not to RVing in general. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the waste pump under the kitchen sink…Any issues thus far? It’s making me a little nervous. Thanks.
    A quick google search led to a discussion that it is a pita
    It appears to be a necessary animal because of the slide
    I would be checking it constantly every time the slide is moved. I prefer solid plumbing that doesn’t move

Not the biggest reason why we decided on the 2400bh instead but was one of them

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Capt Bob; 02-09-2021 at 07:50 PM.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Yep, that’s it. It’s funny too, the sales guys have no clue it even exists…

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES! We had issues with ours from day one. In fact, while we were checking it out at the dealer, I had them fill the fresh water tank because I wanted to bring the water system up to pressure and make sure there were no leaks. When I ran some water through the kitchen sink, that little pump under there kicked on. However, when the water had cleared out of there (which happens really quickly because that pump is pretty much a high flow bilge pump) the pump kept running, dry. The dealer rep was like, "Huh, that's weird" and reached under there and pounded on the top of that little box the pump is in and it stopped. Well, needless to say, that same problem continued to happen until I climbed under there for see what was going on several days later (and two states farther west). Turns out, there is a small water tight box that the kitchen sink drains into, then, when that box reaches a certain level, the water raises a bilge pump float that activates the pump, which empties that box in a few seconds. What was happening on mine was that the plastic mesh screen that is between the place where the water pours in from the sink and the pump intake had somehow been installed out of it's little track in the bottom of that box. The screen was right up against that float. When the water level rose, the float went up, but the screen pressed against it was just enough to keep it from going back down.

I have a few issues with this design.

Firstly, that box is a bugger to open and close. Because it's supposed to be water tight, it is a snap lid pressed down on a gasket. Yes, you will have to get down there at some point and do maintenance, so good luck.

Secondly, the box is not removable at all, not easily anyways. This provides a problem because this box will catch many of the smaller food particulates and junk from the sink, even if you use a really good little filter up top (which i HIGHLY recommend you do). Even so, that little plastic mesh screen will get clogged with kitchen sink nasties really quickly. And, just be warned, it will stink... badly. Imagine food pieces and dirty sink water just sitting in there for a long time. The pump doesn't get the last inch or so of water, which probably contains most of the waste particles.

And lastly, that little plastic screen won't catch everything, and I'm not entirely sure that little bilge pump is designed for anything but clean water to pump through it.

We're getting ready to spend two months in our 23BHE with two adults and three kids. I'll let you know if I have any more issues with this or figure out a work around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new 2021 Imagine xls 24mpr has a stinky sink on my 2nd camping trip... not sure what to do about it. <sigh> It only stinks when the waste pump comes on... seems like a macerator pump would be good to have there. Or better yet a pTrap and a one-way under sink air valve.
    Last edited by Nanmer21; 06-09-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast