User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IdahoJeff

Leaning towards a 380TH

Greetings.

My wife & I 'stumbled' upon Grand Design products yesterday, and really like the design/floorplan of the 380TH. The research I've done so far, including reading posts on this forum, have eased my fears of an unknown (to me) manufacturer. I did notice, however, a manufacturing change and wonder if anyone here has insight. The specs for this unit show three 7,000 lb. axles and ST235/80R16 LRE (10 ply) tires. The unit I looked at yesterday had two axles, and although I didn't record the exact tire size, I did see it had 17.5" rims. At 42 feet long, I'm sure balance comes into play somewhere, so that is one concern. Another concern is rated axle capacity. And another concern is, why was the change made. Most times the answer to the last question is money. Either cheaper to manufacture, or the previous design was costing the company in warranty expense or dis-satisfied owners. I will be contacting the company tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

They switched from 2 x 8000# axles on the 380 and 385 TH to 3 x 7000# axles last fall. Call GD at 574.825.8000 and ask for Nate Goldberg, the Product Mgr for the Momentum line...I'm sure that he'll answer any questions that you may have.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. We too were a little nervous when we first looked at "unknown" Grand Design. Did some research and took the plunge. 11 months later, very happy with our decision. Good luck with your decision, I'm sure in your research you will find the vast majority of owners are very happy too.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IdahoJeff
    Thanks! An angle I hadn't considered.

Jeff

IdahoJeff
    Thanks for the 'welcome'. Two years ago we bought another 'unknown', a new Open Range 387RLS, and it has been a great unit. We thought, at the time, that we would add an Idaho Tote to the back of it, to transport our Polaris Razr. After towing the 37' fifth wheel around, I am not willing to add the length and weight of the extras. So, we either sell the Razr, or step up to a toy hauler.

Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We owned a Solitude 369RL and now own a Momentum 380. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our Solitude, we just wanted a TH and we knew where to turn for a quality unit. You will not be disappointed. (My DH talked with Nate about the axles because he too had questions). GD has a great team who are there for you every step of the way.

Pam, El Rojo's DW
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoJeff View Post
    Thanks for the 'welcome'. Two years ago we bought another 'unknown', a new Open Range 387RLS, and it has been a great unit. We thought, at the time, that we would add an Idaho Tote to the back of it, to transport our Polaris Razr. After towing the 37' fifth wheel around, I am not willing to add the length and weight of the extras. So, we either sell the Razr, or step up to a toy hauler.

Jeff
    We really liked the 380 but needed a 12ft garage for our RZR-4 XP & Fiat Abarth so we went with the 385. Very happy with it. I would be nervous w/ only two axles at 8,000# each... Glad the 2015s came with three 7,000#. It is a heavy monster!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Jeff!

Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got a 380TH - absolutely love it! It was then only TH floor plan that we really liked. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

IdahoJeff
    The floorplan is what sold us too. TV straight across from seating. Free standing dinette instead of tabletops on posts. Everything we wanted, except the weight. Right now I am at 20k pounds, truck & 37' 5th wheel, not a toy hauler. Adding the increased weight of the 380TH and the RZR would put me in the 25 to 26k pound range, and I just don't think I would be comfortable. If I fully loaded the 380TH to 19500 lbs., I would be over 28000 lbs. I am borderline as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast