User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcamacho View Post
    My wife and I recently ordered an Xplor 265BH, and were curious to hear peoples experience with running one larger generator vs 2 smaller ones in parallel?

Our goal would be to be able to run the AC when needed.

Thanks for any help.
    We decided that dual fuel was a priority, so we elected to go with the Champion 3400, which I love. Runs what we need, including an A/C and does it on either propane or gasoline, and I got it for less than $1000. That being said, at 94 lbs it takes some work to move that thing around and lift in and out of the truck. If I decide to replace the Champion, I believe I will go with the two-unit configuration, simply because I can carry both of them in my truck box and there are times when 2000 watts are enough for the job.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Westinghouse 4500df and a Yamaha 2000 and I just bring the one that will suit the needs for the trip. If AC not needed, the small one is fine. I have Soft Starts on both ACs and the Westinghouse can power them both. The Soft Starts can be removed if there is a warranty issue - just try to preserve as much original wiring as possible to make it easy to put back. I've had to do that once and the only evidence is one spliced wire, when removed. I use both at home when we have power outages. Dual fuel (df) is a handy option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Predator 3500. Runs one ac, lights, tv, fridge and microwave on 2 1/2 gallons of gas for 11 hours. It’s a bit heavy 100 lbs but works well for me

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be able to use the AC on one generator with a soft start. It would be worth looking into.

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I love it. I guess the gens get enough air for the intake? Also it seems that you have another piece of diamond plate to cover the exhaust and intake right when not in use. Is the dynamic making a big difference? Sorry for the million question. Lol I just love your idea.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    There is more than enough airflow into and around the boxes the allow the generators to run virtually non stop for days on end. The exhaust and throttle/start/run cover plates have lips that secure them at the top and bottom for travel. The boxes will lock with or without the covers on providing a small sense of security. If I feel more insecure I could use a chain/padlock or cable lock through the openings and generator handles to slow a would be thief down some more. The Dynmat helped reduce the overall noise of running the generators, which increases notably when the lids are open and the generators running. FWIW, the generators have run in those boxes through the inevitable power failures associated with the last 5 hurricanes we have had in SE coastal NC. They do collect some water in the bottom, but never enough to cover the entire inside base, or make me concerned enough to stop the generators to empty the water out. Overall I am happy with two generators as I am the only person capable of setting them up, refuelling them and tearing them down. The fact that the whole setup relatively secure and weather proof and can be broken down into smaller lighter packages is important to me.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    There is more than enough airflow into and around the boxes the allow the generators to run virtually non stop for days on end. The exhaust and throttle/start/run cover plates have lips that secure them at the top and bottom for travel. The boxes will lock with or without the covers on providing a small sense of security. If I feel more insecure I could use a chain/padlock or cable lock through the openings and generator handles to slow a would be thief down some more. The Dynmat helped reduce the overall noise of running the generators, which increases notably when the lids are open and the generators running. FWIW, the generators have run in those boxes through the inevitable power failures associated with the last 5 hurricanes we have had in SE coastal NC. They do collect some water in the bottom, but never enough to cover the entire inside base, or make me concerned enough to stop the generators to empty the water out. Overall I am happy with two generators as I am the only person capable of setting them up, refuelling them and tearing them down. The fact that the whole setup relatively secure and weather proof and can be broken down into smaller lighter packages is important to me.
    I absolutely love it. Its secure, it protects the gen, it lowers the noise level and its good looking IMO. Now I just have to find a welder that can turn these pictures into reality for me.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp AdirondackCamper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    This is our setup. The fuel tank travels either on top of the generator boxes or in the PU bed. I had to really shrink the pictures to 300X225. If you want original sized 2800X2160 images PM me and I can get them to you via e-mail

Attachment 31951Attachment 31952Attachment 31953Attachment 31954Attachment 31956
    I have a Generac GP2200i and will probably be getting another one and I can run them in parallel. Your Yamaha generators look to be about the same size as my Generac. Where can I buy these or did you make them?
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800 BH (Proposed Delivery Date is May)
    2007 Ford F-250 CCSB King Ranch W/Tow Pkg 6.0 Diesel (Bullet Proofed)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single

I have had it both ways. What works best for me is my single 3100 watt Champion. With one generator you refuel only one, change the oil in only one, and don't have to worry about paralleling. One other bonus is that one bigger one is harder to steal than a smaller one. Of course, my generator weighs nearly a hundred pounds but I find that manageable. With two I was always shifting them around. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bcamacho View Post
    My wife and I recently ordered an Xplor 265BH, and were curious to hear peoples experience with running one larger generator vs 2 smaller ones in parallel?

Our goal would be to be able to run the AC when needed.

Thanks for any help.

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdirondackCamper View Post
    I have a Generac GP2200i and will probably be getting another one and I can run them in parallel. Your Yamaha generators look to be about the same size as my Generac. Where can I buy these or did you make them?
    I bought them 10 years or so ago, originally for our Dutchmen Adirondack. So my memory is a little older and a little more fuzzy, however, I think this is the company that made them: https://kshmarine.com/custom-generator-boxes
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one with remote start and stop you will love not having to go outside to start it in the mornings or turn it off at night.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast