User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 smaller generators vs 1 larger generator.

My wife and I recently ordered an Xplor 265BH, and were curious to hear peoples experience with running one larger generator vs 2 smaller ones in parallel?

Our goal would be to be able to run the AC when needed.

Thanks for any help.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two small ones are much easier to get in and out of the truck.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcamacho View Post
    My wife and I recently ordered an Xplor 265BH, and were curious to hear peoples experience with running one larger generator vs 2 smaller ones in parallel?

Our goal would be to be able to run the AC when needed.

Thanks for any help.
    The biggest difference, is the weight difference when maneuvering it around. Most of the time, we only need the one generator.

Also, in case one stops working, you've got the second one "just in case". My husband pointed out he's into redundancy for "just in case". You never know when you're going to be out in the middle of nowhere and something breaks.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 01-30-2021 at 11:46 AM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies. Would you recommend the 2 generators over a Soft Start kit. I just discovered them and they seem interesting, but it seems like they would void your warranty.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcamacho View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. Would you recommend the 2 generators over a Soft Start kit. I just discovered them and they seem interesting, but it seems like they would void your warranty.
    Soft start for the ACs? We've just added it. But our rig is 4 years old now, so I'm not sure the warranty is still in place.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote is also for two smaller paralleled generators as opposed to one larger. I have had both setups and the larger one was just too heavy to manoeuvre around by myself. The ability to use only one when just charging batteries is nice too.

Mike

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the only disadvantages of 2 smaller ones is price and smaller gas tanks. Very minor. I love my 3500 but its heavy.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others we use two generators running in parallel, Yamaha EF2000iS. They are transported on the 300lb capable rear hitch installed on our Reflection. They ride on a 500Lb capable, aluminium rack that mounts in the trailer rear receiver. They reside in two separate diamond plate, Yamaha EF2000iS generator, specific boxes. For use they are removed and placed in their boxes, which are sound reduced with Dynamat, on the ground. They are fed from a gravity feed large fuel tank, now mounted on the rear rack, to both fuel tanks via replacement caps. They can and do start and run the 15K BTU AC units, one at a time that we have. The really high Locked Rotor Amperage (LRA) required to start those AC's, possibly in excess of 45-50 amps, definitely kicks the power output up on the generators for that starting effort. To reduce that, and the very low noise level even more, I am going to install Soft Start units on both 15K AC's. With this setup we are very happy and able to camp in a fairly quiet environment that neither offends us or our neighbours, as some less considerate campers do with their non inverter roaring generators.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    Like others we use two generators running in parallel, Yamaha EF2000iS. They are transported on the 300lb capable rear hitch installed on our Reflection. They ride on a 500Lb capable, aluminium rack that mounts in the trailer rear receiver. They reside in two separate diamond plate, Yamaha EF2000iS generator, specific boxes. For use they are removed and placed in their boxes, which are sound reduced with Dynamat, on the ground. They are fed from a gravity feed large fuel tank, now mounted on the rear rack, to both fuel tanks via replacement caps. They can and do start and run the 15K BTU AC units, one at a time that we have. The really high Locked Rotor Amperage (LRA) required to start those AC's, possibly in excess of 45-50 amps, definitely kicks the power output up on the generators for that starting effort. To reduce that, and the very low noise level even more, I am going to install Soft Start units on both 15K AC's. With this setup we are very happy and able to camp in a fairly quiet environment that neither offends us or our neighbours, as some less considerate campers do with their non inverter roaring generators.
    I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your setup and the boxes.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are two smaller generators quieter than one say 3000 watt class generator?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast