0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You realize you likely hit something on the road for it to blow
    A very large majority of people run “China tires” without issue

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    I thought that about the Westlakes too since they claim they only have 2% failure rate, but after about 8000 miles on my Momentum 376TH, while driving down the highway on the last leg to home, I noticed that something along the driver's side of the RV didn't look right. My TPMS showed good pressure and temperature, so I pulled off the next available exit and to my horror, the RV's sheet metal was tore up terribly behind the third axle. The tire was still holding the pressure, but there were steel belts where the tread should have been. The tire separated and when the tread came off the tire, it caused around $5,000 of damage to the rig. I installed the spare on the exit ramp and replaced all 7 tires with Goodyear G614s when I got home. The Endurance aren't able to handle the weight of my momentum which tops at 20,000 lbs. As with most people, I didn't report it to Westlake since there is zero chance they would have made any effort to reimburse me even for the cost of the tire. (I realize this is why they can claim to only have 2% failure rate, but I don't have patience for exercises in futility.) There was no indication on the tire that there had been any trauma to the tire as it would if I had hit something on the road. Also, this was on the third axle so it's less likely it was a road hazard.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waustx View Post
    The tire was still holding the pressure, but there were steel belts where the tread should have been. The tire separated...
    I'm going to assume these were the E rated Westlakes? Grand Design put the E rated Westlake tires on their heavier Solitudes and Momentums for a few years and this type of failure was reported numerous times both here and across other RV forums. These tires seem to do much better on the lighter Reflections with many people reporting thousands of miles of trouble free driving.

The G rated Westlakes are a completely different tire and have very good reviews overall. I've only read of one failure and it wasn't a tread separation like the E rated tires. Could have just been a road hazard.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm going to assume these were the E rated Westlakes? Grand Design put the E rated Westlake tires on their heavier Solitudes and Momentums for a few years and this type of failure was reported numerous times both here and across other RV forums. These tires seem to do much better on the lighter Reflections with many people reporting thousands of miles of trouble free driving.

The G rated Westlakes are a completely different tire and have very good reviews overall. I've only read of one failure and it wasn't a tread separation like the E rated tires. Could have just been a road hazard.
    Re the bolded: They didn't to all that well for us. Our 26RL (small) Reflection had one tire lose it's air just sitting in the storage lot at one month after purchase. Dealer replaced that under warranty. Then a second one developed a major bubble on the inside of the tire while parked in a campground (hate to think what would have happened had we been traveling). Only reason we started looking for a problem there was our TPMS told there was only 28 lbs of pressure in that tire. This was 6 months later. We replaced that one tire locally with a Goodyear Endurance. Then replaced the other 3 as soon as we got back home.

Have had the trailer almost 4 years since then, including trip to Canada & Alaska and absolutely no issues.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Re the bolded: They didn't to all that well for us.
    Well, I did say "many" people did OK, not all people :-)

After reading about Westlake E rated tire failures, I replaced the ones that came on our 2016 Reflection 5th wheel the day we took delivery. I bought G614's for that rig. Sailun S637 for our last rig. I'm using the factory Westlake G tires for our current rig.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid question (embarrassed to ask), how can you tell load rating on Westlake tires? How do you know it's a E?
    I have a 230RL, lightest 5th wheel, about 8k loaded.......still going to get Endurance tires, but just for my curiosity.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Stupid question (embarrassed to ask), how can you tell load rating on Westlake tires? How do you know it's a E?
    I have a 230RL, lightest 5th wheel, about 8k loaded.......still going to get Endurance tires, but just for my curiosity.
    Thanks
    It's right on the sidewall of the tire - "LR" followed by "E" or "G." You have load range E tires on a 230RL. The load range Gs don't come in a 15" tire.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You realize you likely hit something on the road for it to blow
    A very large majority of people run “China tires” without issue

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    If you did side by side comparison of a Westlake tire vs Goodyear Endurance tire as I did when getting new Goodyear tires you would never trust Westlake tires. Compared spare Westlake with only about 100 miles to new Goodyear.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    If you did side by side comparison of a Westlake tire vs Goodyear Endurance tire as I did when getting new Goodyear tires you would never trust Westlake tires. Compared spare Westlake with only about 100 miles to new Goodyear.
    It wouldn’t change my mind for one second actually

I am not saying the “Goodyear” isn’t a “better” tire, I just feel there is nothing wrong with what are on my trailer so I am not about to waste money replacing them
    You do you though
    I will stick with the overwhelming majority that have zero issues with tires ,if they are taken care of of course
    Goodyear has been in the news as well for poor quality in the past

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2015 GD Momentum 320M 5er toyhauler. We are usually filled to the limit, (Polaris RZR). Full timers for 2 years now. Had the cheapy westlakers on the 5er when new. Blew out and caused $5000.00 damage to the rigg. Switched over to the Sailun G637s and never have had any issues. I am a retired HD truck mech, plus tire salesman, and 50 years of rv experience. These are the best bang for your buck without a doubt. I am now on my second set of these tires w allot of miles before changing over. The steel sidewalls make all the difference in a ST tire. Buy them you will not regret it

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nvjimmy View Post
    I have a 2015 GD Momentum 320M 5er toyhauler. We are usually filled to the limit, (Polaris RZR). Full timers for 2 years now. Had the cheapy westlakers on the 5er when new. Blew out and caused $5000.00 damage to the rigg. Switched over to the Sailun G637s and never have had any issues. I am a retired HD truck mech, plus tire salesman, and 50 years of rv experience. These are the best bang for your buck without a doubt. I am now on my second set of these tires w allot of miles before changing over. The steel sidewalls make all the difference in a ST tire. Buy them you will not regret it
    The Sailuns are "S"637s. The Goodyears are G614...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast