User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle rack for my Imagine 2600RB

On a couple of my past trailers I had bicycle racks mounted on the spare tire. I notice now that I am looking for a new one that the rack manufacturers say, "do not use on a trailer or any towed vehicle". I suspect this is lawyer stuff stated to make sure the rack manufacturer (Yakima, Hollywood, and others) do not incur liability if a bicycle falls off and either is lost or impacts a car or other vehicle behind the trailer. In any case, I need to put two standard bicycles on my trailer, somewhere, and I am positive that they will not be lost from falling off because I will have them shackled on with a cable and lock! Any comments?

Jay
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2021 Toyota Tundra

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post
    On a couple of my past trailers I had bicycle racks mounted on the spare tire. I notice now that I am looking for a new one that the rack manufacturers say, "do not use on a trailer or any towed vehicle". I suspect this is lawyer stuff stated to make sure the rack manufacturer (Yakima, Hollywood, and others) do not incur liability if a bicycle falls off and either is lost or impacts a car or other vehicle behind the trailer. In any case, I need to put two standard bicycles on my trailer, somewhere, and I am positive that they will not be lost from falling off because I will have them shackled on with a cable and lock! Any comments?

Jay
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2021 Toyota Tundra
    This is what I have, but have not installed it yet. There are other options.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo.../dp/B01MYRM7MM
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concern isn’t about bikes falling off. The concern is with the whole rack failing and falling off. Rear mount RV racks generally don’t have any folding joints in the support components to avoid failure from repeatedly bouncing. If you don’t have a frame mount receiver hitch, the tongue mount is the best choice.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a much longer lever arm from the wheels of an RV to the rear bumper area, than on a car/truck. So many times more up and down pounding force generated. Besides the weight therefore being multiplied and at high risk of tearing off the bumper, the rack itself typically is not made for that extreme amount of pounding. There are a few by Swagman, Yakima, etc. rated for RV use. But typically you have to download the manual to find out, as it will not be stated plainly otherwise. The warnings are not just "lawyer speak". Either they have been proven to fail in that use, or the manufacturer has not bothered to do the needed testing because they are pretty sure it will fail. Would you put tires on your RV that explicitly state "Not for use on a trailer"?
    To do it right, you need an adequately installed heavy duty receiver (NOT a bolt on, or other light duty one), and a rated bike rack. And all of that is a large amount of weight on the rear, which reduces your tongue weight, making you more prone to trailer sway.

Far better is to look at one of the over the tongue mounts for a rack (Lippert "Jack It", and others). Little pounding, you can use any rack, and puts weight where you likely could use it anyway. Only downside is lifting the bikes in/out of the rack.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this rack out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post

Jay
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2021 Toyota Tundra
    This universal rack works great with many bike carriers and it gets the bikes up front where there's less forces being applied to the equipment. You can take a look at it on eTrailer. I'm assuming you have a bumper pull, if not please disregard. Cheers.

Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your Imagine have a frame-mounted hitch receiver? You cannot mount anything - much less a bike rack - to the bumper with one of those clamp-on receivers. We have used this RV-approved bike rack for five years (full-time) without any issues at all (but in a frame-mounted hitch receiver rated for 300 lbs. carrying capacity):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post

This is the one we have and it is easy to install and works well. I can always see the bikes in my mirror. The only thing that’s a pain it loading the rear bike, it’s a two person job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay, I mounted my spare tire underneath with a BAL Hide A Spare and added RTV rear bumper mount receiver.
    I made a 2" square tubing reinforcement that runs from frame rail drop on one side to the other and in the center about a 6"long, 2" square tube that is welded from the cross brace right to the back side of the bolt on receiver. It's good also to add more weld to those frame rail drops to the frame. The drops are what holds the bumper to the frame.
    We have a Kuat 2.0 bike rack that folds up when not in use. The Kuat also has a tensioner on the receiver the takes all the slop out of the hitch.
    We take two mountain bikes with us everywhere we go and it's been super solid. We have well over 3000 miles on this setup and everything is still solid. This includes taking the trailer off road.
    2020 Imagine 2600RB
    1998.5 Dodge Ram 2500 24 valve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to read all of the responses but I'm not much on the participation. However, I must involve myself on this topic. We took delivery of our 2021 GD just before Christmas. Haven't been out yet, first trip planned in April. Before this GD we had a Rockwood TT. Wanting to add a bike rack I had a 2" hitch welded to the undercarriage of the trailer for $200. I then bought a Swaggman Escapee bike rack approved for RV use for our ebikes for $400. Before anyone says anything my weight was within the guidelines. When we took our first trip with it last fall up through New England, we made it from Maryland to New York when someone pulled up next to us and told us our bikes were falling off of the trailer. We found that one of the bolts that hold the tire boot on the frame had pulled right through the plastic boot and we were dragging the front wheel of my bike on the roadway. For the rest of our month trip it was in and out of the trailer for our bikes. Swaggman customer service was very nice. I sent the explanation and pictures in a reenactment, wasn't interested in taking pictures on the highway. Swaggman's final decision, not there fault, bike was not attached correctly. I told them the pics were for reenactment purposes only, all requirements were met. I will pay to have my $1,500 bikes fixed but I told them I would pass this on when I could. This company does stand behind there product. So, the moral of the story is you really, really need to do your research and read those comments on the product your thinking about. This will probably be my only comment on the forum but I owed it to Swaggman..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post

Yah...I think I'd want mine where I could see them. Also, that receiver is vital for serious storage. It carries a cargo rack and a long, deep chest...about 1/3 of what would otherwise need to jam into the pass thru.
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast