46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    My question is around the provider, not the carrier

For instance, MobileMustHave has 800GB for $250/month, T-Mobile
    Nomad Internet has unlimited for $900/year meaning $75/month
    Calyx Internet....

Is there really a difference with the provider if they are all using T-Mobile? Speeds, caps, location...?

I got tired of Verizon with their high prices, moved to Visible for cheap phone, unlimited hot spot but the cap of 5MBPS is totally not achievable most of the time, can't hardly check work email, opens docs...

Come on StarLink

Rick
    No, they are all MVNOs, or authorized resellers of T-Mobile's service. If you want T-Mobile, read all the fine print for each one, and go with the cheapest one if the fine print is the same. Some MVNO's do have some gotchas in the fine print.

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.
    Current coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wdonovan View Post
    Ahh good idea. Cel phone is Verizon, hotspot is T-Mobile. I'll do a test matrix like I do in the lab (metallurgical and mechanical testing).
    You really shouldn't have a problem in Toms River, at least with LTE (grew up in Red Bank area). There are some good apps you can install that will help you like Open Signal and Network Cell Info Lite - you can locate cell towers regardless of carrier and measure signal strength. They helped me confirm that I was picking up a neighbor's Verizon booster in his house and not a cell tower which was killing my calls, failing SMS texts, and killing download speeds. I live in a marginal signal strength area for all carriers. I just ran ookla over mobile. My LTE VZ phone maxed at 20mbps. My T-Mobile 5g maxed at 39mbps.

Keep in mind that T-Mobile has probably the most extensive 5G coverage after purchasing Sprint but they operate on a different frequency spectrum which may not give you as high a speed as Verizon or AT&T proposes. That said, both VZ and ATT have had their 5G deployments delayed due to potential interference with critical aircraft instruments as a result of the spectrum they purchased. And, the dollar return for them is to locate 5G towers (which need to be very close) in big metro and airport areas, not necessarily in Toms River. T-Mobile should really be giving you better performance at your location.

All the carriers throttle bandwidth independent of local congestion depending upon the specifics of your plan, local congestion, and priority access for emergency services. This is true even for unlimited plans due to the explosion of streaming. None of the major carriers architected their backbones in anticipation of this explosion, made worse by the pandemic.

@MoonShadow_1911 Ferrari example is great.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234