User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing 22MLE

Greetings,
    We should have our 22MLE end of February, but it's coming directly to us from out of state so I've been doing heaps of reading about it and TT's in general since we won't get a walkthrough. I have however found a very helpful 45 minute walkthrough that covers some important things like fuse locations and other pro-tips.

I've watched the videos Grand Deisgn has done for both winterizing and dewinterizing and it looks straight forward.

I was curious if their videos are accurate in the steps, or if they left anything out that might be helpful? Their comments section is turned off so people can't offer up pro-tips.

I found the threads that mention where the water heater by pass valves / knobs are (under the sink) and the winterizing valve location (under a dinette seat.) I should be able to follow the video.

Any pro-tips / suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated. You fine folks are my only sounding board for things so even if that's all I need to know and follow, knowing that is helpful also.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t view the videos but here are a couple of suggestions.

Your new unit should come winterized. If you’re not sure call the dealer and or Grand Design CS.

I’ve found the owners manual to be pretty helpful with winterizing/dewintering info even though I’ve been doing it for years. If you’ve never done it before it sounds daunting at first but by taking your time, following the instructions, and doing it once you will find it’s not difficult.

I have never used forced air and have not had any issues; just RV antifreeze; about 3 gals.

The cabinet under the kitchen sink in the 22mle is where the HWH is located. It has a nice clear diagram on a wood panel (that needs removing for access) showing valve position for normal and for winterization settings. I removed the two #2 screws from the wood panel and put Velcro on the back to hold it in place. Easier to get to each time.

When dewinterizing, before setting the HWH to normal use, run water through all faucets, etc. to make sure antifreeze is out before turning HWH valve to normal.

When winterizing make sure to run antifreeze thru the outside spray port on the entry side of the TT and the spray port in the pass thru. I also picked up a Camco hand pump to run antifreeze into the black tank flush line also located on the entry side of the TT by the spray port.

When winterizing get a socket and long ratchet extension to remove the white plastic nut from the HWH on the outside so it can be drained.

During winter we stuff original bounce sheets everywhere in the trailer to discourage rodents and bugs. So far, so good
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your reply is much appreciated, I did talk to the dealer and they will winterize it if it doesn't get to them that way, though with it traveling to Nevada it likely will already be winterized.

Grand design does seem to supply ample amount of diagrams for basic care through all their models which is nice. Good to know it's on the panel.

Thanks for confirming the info I already had and providing further input. I'll look into a hand pump for the black tank flush lines also.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 22MLE family !!
    We got ours in October and went out for our 1st and only weekend trip in early November 2020.

If you have not already done so, I would start planning your trips NOW, as getting reservations is difficult these days. It seems that everybody has the same idea !
    I am sure there are other (sometimes free) web sites, but we use allstays.com. The cost is nominal and well worth it. Also check out https://www.campsitephotos.com/ to see what your campsite really looks like. We found this VERY helpful. If you plan on doing some "dry camping" look into Harvest host. Again, it cost a few bucks, but check them out. We have planned 1 long weekend trip per month starting in April through November.

I think I watched EVERY yourtube video on winterizing/de-winterizing out there. It is easy, just make sure to follow the steps to the letter.

Make sure to "season" or use the Oven and furnace before you take it out for a trip. I seasoned the furnace for about 1 hr to get the smell out. It was REALLY strong! I think the oven is just about useless, but the person who did my initial walk through told me that one of his newbee's cooked a steak without seasoning the oven, but then got really sick. It was not the meat, it was the oven. Not sure what others have done, but I seasoned both.

Lastly, if you have a funky smell from the water, run a small mixture of vinegar and water from a jug through the winterization tube at the water pump. The same step used to push antifreeze through the pipes.

Mitch and Alisa Frank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pro tips, we won't be getting a walk through so getting info like this is helpful.

I've been reading about winterizing using compressed air only (using antifreeze down the drains) and with our some what mild winters here I think I can get away with it at certain points of the season. That way we can winter camp.

Thanks again for the extra info!